Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I use my Kindle all the time with recipes, I just keep it in a ziploc bag to prevent any spills from damaging it. The screensaver timeout is a bit annoying but it doesn't stop me.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I LOVE using my iPad for cooking. It's such a perfect cooking companion. I have at least 6 "cook books" on there. It's one of my favorite apps to use. I love Gordon Ramsay's app. His visuals and video "How To's" inspire chef confidence.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #18
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I do use one for cooking, but he "cookbook" is my very own collection of favorite recipes, basically just lists of ingredients and amounts. I don't think it would work very well for recipes I hadn't used before; it's really more of an aide-memoire than anything else.
This is a really great idea. I have a lot of my own recipes on the computer, in a meal planning program, this would be an added bonus in having an e-reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
(Oh, and to answer the original question, only one, since that's the only one of the cookbooks I have that's available as an eBook so far, but I'd like to see more. I don't cook from pictures, I cook from recipes.)
I have quite a few cookbooks without pictures and I can say they are some of the best ones I own!

[QUOTE=beppe;1488313]Oh.Christie, finally a twin soul./QUOTE]
Thank you for the book recommendations...i have the 'how to cook everything" free app on my IPod and like it. I have been meaning to get the book.....

Christie
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Oh.Christie, finally a twin soul./QUOTE]
Thank you for the book recommendations...i have the 'how to cook everything" free app on my IPod and like it. I have been meaning to get the book.....

Christie
I got the pay version of it also.
but if you have an Ipod why do you need an ereader? I have also a nice Sony 600, but since I have the Ipod I do not use it anymore, never once. I keep it just as a back up. Ipod carries practically everything and the nice screen lets you enjoy complex color pictures with much ease.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
For me, the value of the eCookbook is having my kitchen library in my bag while out grocery shopping or looking for dinner ideas during the day while at work. I prefer to actually cook with the pbook for screen timeout, splatter issues and easy markup. I would pay extra for the pbook+ebook combo when buying cookbooks.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #21
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I got the pay version of it also.
but if you have an Ipod why do you need an ereader? I have also a nice Sony 600, but since I have the Ipod I do not use it anymore, never once. I keep it just as a back up. Ipod carries practically everything and the nice screen lets you enjoy complex color pictures with much ease.
I love my IPod as well, but I find that the font to be too small and my hand starts hurting from how I'm holding it. Also my husband always steals it from me....probably because he loves it too

BTW I love your avatar!
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I LOVE using my iPad for cooking. It's such a perfect cooking companion. I have at least 6 "cook books" on there. It's one of my favorite apps to use. I love Gordon Ramsay's app. His visuals and video "How To's" inspire chef confidence.
+1 for Ramsey's book. I've made the Shepherd's pie, the lasagna and the Chili Chicken with Guacamole -- all were delicious.

I also like Mario Batali's app and Jamie Oliver's (although it's an iPhone app).

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #23
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
+1 for Ramsey's book. I've made the Shepherd's pie, the lasagna and the Chili Chicken with Guacamole -- all were delicious.

I also like Mario Batali's app and Jamie Oliver's (although it's an iPhone app).

Lee
I heard really good things about Mario's app. I'm trying not to buy another cookbook, but I see efforts will be futile and the minute I crave Italian will be my excuse!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #24
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
I don't use cookbooks on the ereader much, but I have a lot of them. I got most of them from Project Gutenberg. Some are from companies while some are old specialty ones, such as ones on making candy or on preserving meat, etc. The most interesting 2 are "The International Jewish Cookbook", with 1600 recipes, and "Bohemian San Francisco - its restaurants and their most famous recipes", which has recipes from "Del Monico's" a restaurant made famous in the old "Have Gun Will Travel" t.v. series. It was written around the time of the S.F. earthquake and discusses famous eateries from before the quake.

My Sony 600 is great for use in cooking, as the e-ink screen doesn't suddenly switch off or run out of power, and I just enlarge the print to a size that's easy to read while standing up over the counter. Works like a dream!
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #25
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I have a few cookbooks on my JBL, I wantedto experiment with some of the classic ones I get from Gutenberg. Worked great! I'd just keep the ereader on the table and mix up the stuff on the counter
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #26
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringecup View Post
I don't use cookbooks on the ereader much, but I have a lot of them. I got most of them from Project Gutenberg. Some are from companies while some are old specialty ones, such as ones on making candy or on preserving meat, etc. The most interesting 2 are "The International Jewish Cookbook", with 1600 recipes, and "Bohemian San Francisco - its restaurants and their most famous recipes", which has recipes from "Del Monico's" a restaurant made famous in the old "Have Gun Will Travel" t.v. series. It was written around the time of the S.F. earthquake and discusses famous eateries from before the quake.

My Sony 600 is great for use in cooking, as the e-ink screen doesn't suddenly switch off or run out of power, and I just enlarge the print to a size that's easy to read while standing up over the counter. Works like a dream!
Now to see what kind of Passover Desserts are included!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I have a Nook Color and I've been surprised and disappointed at the lack of good, color, (and interactive!?) cookbooks in the B&N store. I remember B&N marketing the NC as a cookbook reader as well as the obvious magazine and children's books offerings, but unless I'm just not looking in the right places (don't get me started on B&N browsing) those cookbooks haven't appeared yet.

Craft books also seem perfectly suited for the NC, and yet there don't seem to be too many available.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
CharlieR
CharlieR began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
Lee base and anyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
The iPad is fantastic for cook books. I particularly like the apps that have videos. For safety, just put the iPad in a 1lb zip lock freezer bag. Use the iPad for cooking all the time.

Lee
Hi: I have an ipad2 and have had nothing but frustration trying to get cookbooks.

Maybe I just don't understand it a lot.

I thought an app was a download that helped you to download what you wanted, for example a kindle app should aid in downloading kindle books.

I downloaded an app by Dorie Greenspan and it was only a few recipes. I want to download entire cookbooks!

Also have found that programs that say they are made for iPad can't be downloaded, for instance "flipbook maker".

If Ican't download what I want or need what use is this thing?

Can someone help me?

Charlie
CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I kind of gave up on cookbooks for my NOOK. I thought of getting some, sampled many, and found that many publishers are having serious conversion problems.

Nothing new with ebooks, right?

But in plain text, when the OCR renders "and" as "ancl," context will get me through.

When they've failed to properly proof or imbed a font (typeface?) it can be a major fail in a cookbook. Far too many recipes have the dreaded questionmarky/unknown character symbol for fractional measurements other than ½ and ¼.

It basically is the difference between annoying and useless.

I get that it's probably more trouble than it's worth to go through and copyedit those nicely set fractions into 1/8, 3/8, etc. But then why bother at all?

I've pointed this out to every single publisher of the books in question. To no avail.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
Does anyone have cookbooks on their e-readers? Sorry this may be a silly question, but I have a weakness for cookbooks and was just wondering how it would work on an e-reader. I am assuming that it wouldn't be the greatest But maybe cookbooks without pictures?

Christie
I have some cookbook ebooks. Most cookbooks have a fair amount of whitespace, so they can scale down to smaller pages fairly well, especially if they're light on pictures. The real problem is there isn't a lot available yet.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote