Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #196
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
If it has an HD screen as mentioned, I very well may consider upgrading my T1 even without a light (although I'll be disappointed about the lack of a light). Not that the non-HD screen hurts my eyes...
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #197
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Beware of GAS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gr...ition_Syndrome
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #198
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I was counting on them to maybe give me an option of a lighted reader with page turn buttons I wouldn't put it past Sony to release a non-lighted reader, but it'd still be a bit of surprise....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #199
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
Phew! I'm safe, that article doesn't mention computer/tablet/geek gear.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #200
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
No light?
No thanks.

I've been patiently waiting for news of a front-lit Sony, as I've been coveting my S.O.'s Kobo Glo. I'm not a fan of the Kobo firmware, but the Kobo's light (IMO) is gorgeous, and clamp-on lights suck.

I for one don't care what touch screen technology Sony uses, as I'm happy as Hell with my T1 in most regards. But I want a light so badly that I'm willing to put up with the Kobo firmware shortcomings.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #201
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
... But I want a light so badly that I'm willing to put up with the Kobo firmware shortcomings.
That's what I thought too and I still use the Kobo Glo, but my aggravation over it grows daily and it's been over 4 months now that I've been using it. The worst of my issues with it is that a combination of WinXP + AMD processors + Calibre just doesn't play nice with the Kobo Glo. It always disconnects during sending or deleting books using Calibre and pops up errors. I have a pokey netbook with Windows 7 that doesn't have the problem, but I use it only for travel, so pulling it out of the closet and updating my Calibre library to it everytime I want to swap books to the reader is getting tiresome real fast for me and I'm to the point that it's just not worth it.

The light is very very nice on it though, I'll give it that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #202
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The day has come! It's out!! The PRS-T3 is unveiled!!!

manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #203
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfred63 View Post
The day has come! It's out!! The PRS-T3 is unveiled!!!
And, as I feared, no frontlight: http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...h-release-date. I really don't understand why they didn't offer a model with that feature.

Oh well, seems like my Sony Reader days are over
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #204
manfred63
Connoisseur
manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manfred63 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
Oh well, seems like my Sony Reader days are over
And mine will begin now!!
manfred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #205
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I can see absolutely no reason for ditching my T1 in favour of this new model.
Hopefully Amazon or Kobo will release something more tempting in the next few months. And hopefully my T1, which has begun to lock up too often for my liking, will last that long. If not the Kobo Aura is getting more and more attractive.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #206
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While it might disappoint many, I suppose you can look at it as Sony just trying to do something different. The technology has improved an awful lot, but the light guide does slightly diminish the clarity of the screen, and there is room for debate about whether or not the inbuilt light detracts from the easy on the eye paper-like quality of e-ink.

On the other hand, you don't need the light to be on all the time, and I've seen very little to suggest that an external clip on light (immaterial of it being part of a case) is as good, or better than the in-built lighting. So it might be better in one respect, but it's not in another. So where is the selling point?

I'd be interested to see a Kobo Aura with it's light turned off placed next to a T1/T2, is there really a marked difference between the two, or is it just minimal?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #207
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'd be interested to see a Kobo Aura with it's light turned off placed next to a T1/T2, is there really a marked difference between the two, or is it just minimal?
I have a T1, Kobo Glo and Kobo Aura. With light off the screens of both Kobos are slightly lighter and creamier than the T1. Although I don't have one, I suspect the T2 is similarly lighter than the T1.

What really gives both Kobos the visual edge (IMO) over the T1 is the on-device ability to adjust fonts to be darker. Plus the better screen resolutions, of course. Once you switch the lights on, even at a fairly low level, the background of the Kobos becomes much lighter - then it becomes no contest (again IMO).

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-24-2013 at 08:09 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #208
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a kobo Glo and a T1, and in use, there isn't much difference. Putting them side by side, the kobo has a whiter background, but slightly less contrast in the font darkness. That might be fixed by tweaking the font options, but really, I don't usually read in that font (Amassis), so it's default on the kobo.

Second image shows the font I usually use on the kobo, Caecilia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5678.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	109908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5681.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	109931  

Last edited by Kaitou Ace; 08-24-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #209
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Thanks for those pictures. I've compared non-lit Kobo's and Kindle's with the Glo/Paperwhite, but not the Sony. Those pictures seem to show that the differences between the non-lit and lighted models is broadly the same for them all - there is a slight degrading of clarity/contrast, but that is about it. I'm surprised at how good the background looks on the Kobo in comparison to the Sony, I know the T2 is a little better but thought the T1 was actually pretty good.

So do you find any kind of strain on your eyes at all when using the light compared with your reading using the T1 or other non-lighted reader? I wonder if some people might be sensitive to the light, but generally most will have no issues at all.

The fonts looking slightly washed out can be improved by choosing certain fonts and increasing the weight of them though, isn't that correct? I know the Glo/Aura are better than the Paperwhite in terms of customising fonts, but can you still increase the weight of the font if for example the book you are reading doesn't allow the default to be changed?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-24-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #210
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for those pictures. I've compared non-lit Kobo's and Kindle's with the Glo/Paperwhite, but not the Sony. Those pictures seem to show that the differences between the non-lit and lighted models is broadly the same for them all - there is a slight degrading of clarity/contrast, but that is about it. I'm surprised at how good the background looks on the Kobo in comparison to the Sony, I know the T2 is a little better but thought the T1 was actually pretty good.

So do you find any kind of strain on your eyes at all when using the light compared with your reading using the T1 or other non-lighted reader? I wonder if some people might be sensitive to the light, but generally most will have no issues at all.

The fonts looking slightly washed out can be improved by choosing certain fonts and increasing the weight of them though, isn't that correct? I know the Glo/Aura are better than the Paperwhite in terms of customising fonts, but can you still increase the weight of the font if for example the book you are reading doesn't allow the default to be changed?
No problem!

And exactly so, and in actual use, there is no real difference, and tweaking with the fonts can make even that immaterial. In my first shot, the Sony is a bit better, but in the second one, I think the kobo is, and that's just from switching fonts and adjusting the font weight a bit.

For me, I have no strain of any kind with the light, and often the opposite, on low setting it only improves contrast, and lightens the background, so I find it reduces strain on the eye.

And I have yet to run into a book where I can't adjust the font weight, but I remove DRM from everything I buy.

I'll be honest though, my absolute, ideal reader would be the PRS-650 with a modern high-res eink screen and a light.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote