Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #766
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I was just looking at the Amazon page for the $50 Fire tablet, which sats that Alexa is coming to Fire tablets soon. Did everyone but me know this already? If my cheapie tablet is going to have Alexa, then I guess I don't need the Dot.
See post 723

Introducing Alexa on Fire Tablets—Coming Soon

Quote:
I'm very disappointed in Amazon. They only plan on adding this feature to 5th and new 6th gen Fires, even though 4th gen Fires run the same software (5.3.1) and have hardware specs better than or equal to the 5th and 6th gen models.

Quote:
It just got even easier to enjoy endless entertainment on your Fire tablet with Alexa, the cloud-based voice service that is the brain behind Amazon Echo. When connected to Wi-Fi, simply long-press the home button and ask Alexa to play your favorite song, open a game, or read you the latest audiobook—Alexa provides quick access to the entertainment you want. Plus, you can ask Alexa for the news, weather, jokes, questions, and more—Alexa provides natural-language responses, combined with on-screen information on the tablet’s display. Third parties can publish Alexa skills, so you can ask Alexa to play music from services including Pandora and Spotify, and turn off the light or adjust the temperature on compatible smart home devices.

Alexa will be available on the all-new Fire HD 8, Fire HD 10, Fire and last year’s Fire HD 8 tablets via a free over-the-air software update in the coming months. Because Alexa is cloud-based, it gets smarter over time, meaning more Alexa capabilities for Fire tablets will be delivered in subsequent updates.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #767
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But the Amazon product page for the 7-in $50 tablet is showing Alexa "coming soon," same as it shows for the 8- and 10-inch tablets in the comparison table on that page.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #768
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
But the Amazon product page for the 7-in $50 tablet is showing Alexa "coming soon," same as it shows for the 8- and 10-inch tablets in the comparison table on that page.
That would be 5th or 6th generation. I do believe.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #769
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
That would be 5th or 6th generation. I do believe.
Cin is correct. The 7", 8", and 10" Fires are 5th gen devices and the new 8" Fire is a 6th gen device. See this page for a listing of Fire tablets by gen. Note that the new 8" Fire (6th gen) isn't listed yet.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #770
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cin is correct. The 7", 8", and 10" Fires are 5th gen devices and the new 8" Fire is a 6th gen device. See this page for a listing of Fire tablets by gen. Note that the new 8" Fire (6th gen) isn't listed yet.
Totally confused. So which 7-inch tablet is going to have Alexa and which 7-inch tablet did I buy four months ago? There's no generation listed for on the product page for the one I bought then (accessing it through my orders) or the one they are selling now, and both of those product pages say Alexa is coming to the $50 tablet.
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #771
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Instead of tape use 3m command strips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WSNM9Q/
I second this suggestion. I used this to secure all my smoke/fire/CO detectors to the walls rather than drilling screw holes. I'm sure those detectors weigh more than the Dot.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-15-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #772
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Totally confused. So which 7-inch tablet is going to have Alexa and which 7-inch tablet did I buy four months ago? There's no generation listed for on the product page for the one I bought then (accessing it through my orders) or the one they are selling now, and both of those product pages say Alexa is coming to the $50 tablet.
If you bought this $50 Fire 7" tablet, it's a 5th gen Fire.

The generations are listed on the page I linked to above - Fire & Kindle Software Updates.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #773
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
On my Fire HD 6 I can select Settings --> Device Options then scroll down to view Device Model where it states "Fire HD 6 (4th Generation)".
Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #774
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
On my Fire HD 6 I can select Settings --> Device Options then scroll down to view Device Model where it states "Fire HD 6 (4th Generation)".

Amazon has always been poor at naming their tablets. The least they could do is to add the generation to the product pages.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #775
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

So then I will have Alexa on my cheapie Fire tablet, right?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #776
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I was just looking at the Amazon page for the $50 Fire tablet, which sats that Alexa is coming to Fire tablets soon. Did everyone but me know this already? If my cheapie tablet is going to have Alexa, then I guess I don't need the Dot.
Yes but you cannot call out to your Fire tablet from across the room. Have to hold the Home button to activate, unless they add an option to put it in 'listen' mode. Also it remains to be seen which Alexa skills will be available on Fire tablets. For example, Alexa on Fire TV will not read Kindle books or play Audible content. And you might want Alexa on the tablet to launch apps, open books and video etc. but I don't think it will confer such 'voice control', at least in the first iteration.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #777
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
So then I will have Alexa on my cheapie Fire tablet, right?
Yes, you will. What ticks me off is that my HD 6 won't get Alexa and it has better specs than the Fire 7.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #778
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Yes, you will. What ticks me off is that my HD 6 won't get Alexa and it has better specs than the Fire 7.
It's not about specs, it's about marketing. Now you have incentive to buy a shiny new Fire in order to get Alexa on it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #779
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
It's not about specs, it's about marketing. Now you have incentive to buy a shiny new Fire in order to get Alexa on it.
That ploy never works for me. If anything, it has the opposite effect and could get me to buy less from that company than I might otherwise have done so.

I have the Fire 7 and only paid $30 for it, but I prefer my HD 6.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #780
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
That ploy never works for me. If anything, it has the opposite effect and could get me to buy less from that company than I might otherwise have done so.

I have the Fire 7 and only paid $30 for it, but I prefer my HD 6.
Jeff doesn't care about you outliers, he cares about the millions who will inevitably fall for it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote