Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #751
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just ordered a six pack

We currently use four very old Roku SoundBridge music streaming devices that will need replacing at some point. My husband will use the remaining as gifts or for raffle items at work.
Sniff. I pre-ordered one via Alexa and didn't get no stinking discount!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Another comment I found about discounts is this one over at AFTVnews:

Note: he's referring to the new Echo Dot.

from my Galaxy S6
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #752
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Experience so far with my current Echos and Dot indicate that if there's a fan in the room Alexa is virtually deaf to the Timbre of my voice (she hears Susie just fine).
We have a bedroom fan between us and the echo, and it might as well be an anti-noise force field. When it's on, I have to yell to get her to hear me. And it's a very quiet fan.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #753
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I got my youngest daughter the cheapest Fire for Christmas last year, and didn't bother with extending the 90 day warranty. No problems, as of yet.

Here, or somewhere else, someone mentioned using double sided tape and sticking the new Dot to the wall. I think I might do that. It's a great idea. But then, maybe I should have ordered white? Though I do plan to paint my room gray. So I guess it doesn't matter.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #754
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I got my youngest daughter the cheapest Fire for Christmas last year, and didn't bother with extending the 90 day warranty. No problems, as of yet.

Here, or somewhere else, someone mentioned using double sided tape and sticking the new Dot to the wall. I think I might do that. It's a great idea. But then, maybe I should have ordered white? Though I do plan to paint my room gray. So I guess it doesn't matter.
I think white would get grungy. And I hear black is the new black again.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #755
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I've updated the OP to add the specs for the Dot 2. As soon as iFixit does a teardown, I'll fill in the blanks as to CPU, RAM, ROM, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #756
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

Instead of tape use 3m command strips. I ordered this one from Amazon to use to attach a phone holder to the dashboard of my car and it's still there. The one that I had in my previous car lasted until I sold it and came off easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WSNM9Q/
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #757
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I saw the $69 smartplug kit and might order one. It might be kind of nice to be able to turn on or off a lamp or something. I'm getting lazy in my old age.
I mostly use GE Link LED light bulbs, they are controlled by Alexa through a Wink or SmartThings (and a few others) hub, and cost $15 each.

There are some applications where a smart switch is more appropriate, as in where you want more than one bulb to be controlled at the same time (multi-bulb fixtures) or have non-standard (fluorescent) fixtures. For that I use GE smart switches from Amazon or Lowes. They are also controlled by the hub but are a bit more difficult to install.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #758
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wouldn't it be wonderful?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #759
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I mostly use GE Link LED light bulbs, they are controlled by Alexa through a Wink or SmartThings (and a few others) hub, and cost $15 each.

There are some applications where a smart switch is more appropriate, as in where you want more than one bulb to be controlled at the same time (multi-bulb fixtures) or have non-standard (fluorescent) fixtures. For that I use GE smart switches from Amazon or Lowes. They are also controlled by the hub but are a bit more difficult to install.
I use some of those Link bulbs, too. All but one of mine work reliably well with Alexa through our Wink hub.

Do any of the installed switches you use work with two-conductor wiring? Many of the ones I looked into required three-wire and likely wouldn't work with my old wiring.

p.s. Wodin, is there a typo in your signature, or am I just not getting it?

Last edited by ApK; 09-14-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #760
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I use some of those Link bulbs, too. All but one of mine work reliably well with Alexa through our Wink hub.

Do any of the installed switches you use work with two-conductor wiring? Many of the ones I looked into required three-wire and likely wouldn't work with my old wiring.

I want to see the video of that tail.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #761
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Yes, I used to use a Wink hub, but after a couple of months it kept losing connection to my router and I had to reboot it, almost daily. So I changed it out for a SmartThings hub and have had no problems since.

Quote:
Unfortunately no, my house sort of evolved over the years, and the original part (1967) doesn't have neutral wires to the switches. On one occasion I ran an independent neutral from a switch in the newer part. There are some that that wouldn't be feasible because of the location so I'm limited to using smart bulbs there. Ideally a new construction should have smart switches at all locations.

Quote:
ARRGGHHH! A typo! Yes, I'll correct it after everyone has had a chance to . Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #762
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Instead of tape use 3m command strips. I ordered this one from Amazon to use to attach a phone holder to the dashboard of my car and it's still there. The one that I had in my previous car lasted until I sold it and came off easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WSNM9Q/
Thanks, I think I have a package of that somewhere.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #763
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Thanks, I think I have a package of that somewhere.
I meant to say that I ordered and used it in my car in 2010 and it's still there now. Six years is pretty good.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #764
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I was just looking at the Amazon page for the $50 Fire tablet, which sats that Alexa is coming to Fire tablets soon. Did everyone but me know this already? If my cheapie tablet is going to have Alexa, then I guess I don't need the Dot.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #765
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
I pre-ordered the new Dot in white. I am quite excited. I have a Tap already, and I love carrying it from room to room. However, I am looking forward to the voice activation, and $50 is a nice price. I was looking at Echo but didn't want to spend so much. Problem solved!
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote