Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #736
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I pre ordered, I didn't realize the warranty was different, but I don't think it matters.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #737
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I pre ordered, I didn't realize the warranty was different, but I don't think it matters.
Yep, it only has a 90-day warranty. A 2-year warranty will cost you $10.

Amazon's new cheaper devices are only getting 90-day warranties. I don't like that.

90-Day Warranties
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #738
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Not adding the extra warranty amounts to definitely pay less now, and risk maybe pay more later.

Probably not much a concern, given the quality of Amazon's customer service.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #739
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Adding up the stuff Amazon excluded from Echo Dot 2, the price is $65.
  • $50 -- Echo Dot 2
  • $10 -- 2-year warranty
  • $5 --- 4 ft audio cable
Another con is the missing twist ring volume control. Twisting the volume is quite a bit faster than using buttons. I thought I was going to jump on this immediately. Now I'm left wondering what else Amazon has done to cut costs. I certainly don't want a weaker speaker (hey, that rhymes)
It's lighter, for one.
They took off about 80 grams.
A few milimeters in height.
Same width.

I'm thinking it's all from the ring.
The warranty? I'd rather have the $10. If I can't break it in 90 days I won't break it in 9 years.
I just need to see if the Bluetooth works while connected to the stereo. I vaguely remember it was changed but I'm not sure.
I may move my music to the Amazon cloud if I get one.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #740
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It's lighter, for one.
They took off about 80 grams.
A few milimeters in height.
Same width.

I'm thinking it's all from the ring.
The warranty? I'd rather have the $10. If I can't break it in 90 days I won't break it in 9 years.
I just need to see if the Bluetooth works while connected to the stereo. I vaguely remember it was changed but I'm not sure.
I may move my music to the Amazon cloud if I get one.
My main concern is the sound; to see if it's the same or weaker than the previous Dot. It'll either go in the kitchen or bedroom and it won't have speakers hooked up to it.
Advert
Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #741
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not like a tablet that you might take and drop. Mine will probably never move. I'll put it in my bedroom. I have a speaker/dvd system in there, and already have an audio cable there. As for the ring, don't care, I'll use voice. I never know which way to turn the ring, anyway. Buttons will be better for me.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #742
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I found this comment over at Nate's blog -- The Digital Reader

Quote:
Patrick Grote // 14 September, 2016 at 10:48 am // Reply

If you bought a dot previously, you get a discount. From an email this morning:

“Something just for you As a customer who purchased the previous–generation Echo Dot, you can get a $10 Alexa Shopping credit when you order the All-New Echo Dot using Alexa Shopping. Order today through October 20 and a $10 Alexa Shopping credit will be applied to your account within one week after your new Echo Dot has shipped.”
Old 09-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #743
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

New feature coming to 1st gen Echos and Dots:

ESP (Echo Spatial Perception)—Put an Echo or Echo Dot in Every Room

Quote:
For customers who have multiple Echo devices within hearing distance, Amazon’s new ESP technology intelligently calculates the clarity of the customer’s voice and determines which Echo is best to respond to the request—instantly. This feature is smart—performance gets better over time, so ESP will continuously improve as you use Echo. In multi-Echo households, ESP resolves the problem of two Echo devices answering you at the same time. This new feature will be available as a free update for all Echo devices—including Amazon Echo and the first generation Echo Dot—starting in the coming weeks.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #744
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The ring is gone, but has + - buttons for volume. If you have it hooked up to external sound system you may be better to forego using volume on Dot and use sound system controls instead (particularly if Dot is one of several audio sources). And in addition to voice control there's the Alexa app or optional remote.

Also interesting are the starter kits:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KWCIMHI/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #745
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just ordered a six pack

We currently use four very old Roku SoundBridge music streaming devices that will need replacing at some point. My husband will use the remaining as gifts or for raffle items at work.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #746
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Another comment I found about discounts is this one over at AFTVnews:

Note: he's referring to the new Echo Dot.

Quote:
Robert Simandl says:

September 14, 2016 at 7:22 am

But I did order one, through my existing Echo, and got a $5 discount off of the $49.99!
Old 09-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #747
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Black Friday is just two months away. I plan to wait until then to see if it goes on sale (provided the sound quality hasn't deteriorated from Dot 1).
Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #748
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My two pack of Alexa enabled Nucleus video intercoms shipped today, so I need to rethink my Alexa deployment strategy. Now with the new cheaper and smaller Dots, there's another factor for consideration.

Experience so far with my current Echos and Dot indicate that if there's a fan in the room Alexa is virtually deaf to the Timbre of my voice (she hears Susie just fine). So if I saturate the house with AAP's (Alexa Access Points) maybe I can get her to listen to me.

Spoiler:
As wodin wanders around talking to himself, saying "Sure I talk to myself, I'm the only one who listens to me!"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #749
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The ring is gone, but has + - buttons for volume. If you have it hooked up to external sound system you may be better to forego using volume on Dot and use sound system controls instead (particularly if Dot is one of several audio sources). And in addition to voice control there's the Alexa app or optional remote.

Also interesting are the starter kits:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KWCIMHI/
I saw the $69 smartplug kit and might order one. It might be kind of nice to be able to turn on or off a lamp or something. I'm getting lazy in my old age.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #750
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Has anyone here ordered through the Echo and gotten a $5 discount?