Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #661
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You are a good neighbor to them Blossom! The last time I lived in an apartment several of my neighbors would party all night and have 20 to 30 friends over at a time! I got to know many of our local cops by name. And who doesn't enjoy the weekly marital disputes that occur right outside your front door? (Sarcasm of course.) I tried to be a good neighbor like you, but many of my neighbors were anything but good or neighborly. But that was the only apartment I ever lived in that was rowdy like that. Most of them were okay. At any rate, I'm glad those days are long over as I live in a house I bought in a quiet neighborhood populated mostly by families.
When we were the partiers in an apartment complex, we kept it quiet. We didn't want or need the cops around.

Now years later in a different apartment complex, I got a call to turn my stereo down because the neighbor behind me could hear it clearly. Only problem, it wasn't my stereo. It was the neighbor 2 doors down. The manager came to my apartment after beating on the guy's door, he wanted a witness. He then unlocked the other apartment and turned down the stereo. I didn't go in with him. The guy was fast asleep.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #662
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is my nice setup. An Amazon Echo I got for $130 during Prime Deal Day 2 and a used Fire HD 6 16GB I just got for $44. Less than $200 for a really nice setup for listening to music in my study.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon-Echo-FireHD6-small.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	603.1 KB
ID:	150314  
Advert
Old 07-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #663
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is 13:45 CDT in my location and Echo seems to have lost all connection to the Prime Music servers. She cannot do anything at all except apologize for being useless. I have a solid WiFi connection, so it must be the Amazon servers with the issue.

ETA: Alexa can still tell jokes and give me the Flash Briefing, but no music. So some of the servers must still be working. The music server is must be down though.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #664
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It is 13:45 CDT in my location and Echo seems to have lost all connection to the Prime Music servers. She cannot do anything at all except apologize for being useless. I have a solid WiFi connection, so it must be the Amazon servers with the issue.

ETA: Alexa can still tell jokes and give me the Flash Briefing, but no music. So some of the servers must still be working. The music server is must be down though.
Same here; no music.

Edit: Just called Amazon and got a recording stating that they were having issues with their website.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-19-2016 at 03:15 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #665
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Same here; no music.

Edit: Just called Amazon and got a recording stating that they were having issues with their website.
Crushed under the weight of all the Prime Day device purchases?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #666
jswinden
Nameless Being

Its up and running again! I guess they chased away the gremlins.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #667
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
You are a good neighbor to them Blossom! The last time I lived in an apartment several of my neighbors would party all night and have 20 to 30 friends over at a time! I got to know many of our local cops by name. And who doesn't enjoy the weekly marital disputes that occur right outside your front door? (Sarcasm of course.) I tried to be a good neighbor like you, but many of my neighbors were anything but good or neighborly. But that was the only apartment I ever lived in that was rowdy like that. Most of them were okay. At any rate, I'm glad those days are long over as I live in a house I bought in a quiet neighborhood populated mostly by families.
We had plenty of those type neighbors. In Tennessee and in Raleigh. Here everyone is quiet most of the time. I don't want to be that neighbor. We had a few incidents here where the police showed up for domestic dispute. They also like to check on a few elderly here.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #668
jswinden
Nameless Being

This book title popped up on the Amazon website this morning. Amazon loves to thrust related and similar items in our faces after we buy something like the Echo. Not to mention the 5 or 6 times I've received the same getting started with Echo email. Overkill... But anyway check out the cover. I'm always amazed at how sloppy some so-called authors are when they even misspell words on the book's cover. Not very professional at all....

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #669
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This book title popped up on the Amazon website this morning. Amazon loves to thrust related and similar items in our faces after we buy something like the Echo. Not to mention the 5 or 6 times I've received the same getting started with Echo email. Overkill... But anyway check out the cover. I'm always amazed at how sloppy some so-called authors are when they even misspell words on the book's cover. Not very professional at all....
Everyone and his uncle thinks they're experts on the Echo, so they all write books about it. There are hundreds of such books out there.

Any author who is careless with spelling and grammar is probably just as careless with the facts. I avoid all such works.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #670
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good way to know which books to avoid.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #671
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You guys are just jealous because you're not young and cool enough to know what a "guige" is!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #672
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You guys are just jealous because you're not young and cool enough to know what a "guige" is!
Well since you are young and cool, what is a "guige"?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #673
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I know what a "guige" is and I have no need for one:

Quote:
A guige is a long strap, typically made of leather, used to hang a shield on the shoulder or neck when not in use. Used in combat, it freed a soldier to use a weapon requiring two hands (or a weapon in each hand) without discarding the shield; the shield could then be easily retrieved when needed.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #674
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I know what a "guige" is and I have no need for one:
Cool, basically the antiquity's version of a camera strap for shields. Hey, we could put one of those on an Echo, rig up an awkward battery pack, and turn it into a wearable device. The Sony Walk-Echo!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #675
ApK

Quote:
Cool, basically the antiquity's version of a camera strap for shields. Hey, we could put one of those on an Echo, rig up an awkward battery pack, and turn it into a wearable device. The Sony Walk-Echo!
Obviously just what the author intended.