Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Can multiple Kindles be on the same Amazon account?

Last year I bought a Kindle for my parents for Christmas, but really it's ended up belonging to my mom. I've been thinking of giving them another, so my dad can have one too. I'm sure they have only one Amazon account to share, and that my father would have a complete meltdown if he had to get a second account for the second Kindle, especially if he has to pay for a second copy of anything.

So...

Can you put multiple Kindles on the same account?

Can you move books between them? Or load them to both readers?

Is it difficult?

I chose the Kindle for them since it seemed the most user friendly. They're never going to download Calibre or learn to convert files - they play with computers a little, but their interest and comfort zone just doesn't extend to things like that. I could do it for them, but they spend much of the year in another state, and walking them through these things via telephone is frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
yes, you can register up to 6 K's on the same account.....the books can then be 'shared'....you simply use the download feature from the kindle account to send to the other Kindle.....not hard at all!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1) Yes. You can have an unlimited number of "devices" (Kindles, Kindle for PC/Mac/iPhone/Blackberry apps, etc.) registered to the same account. But most publishers will only allow you to put your books on up to 6 of them.

2) Yes and yes. The Kindle has an "archive" listing which stores all your Amazon-bought books and you can easily pull them from the server using the wireless (Wi-Fi or 3G) on the Kindle by going to "Archived Items" and then paging through the listings and selecting the desired book, or download the file (and also a send wirelessly option, which may be easier) directly from the registered account on Amazon's website and put them on either or both readers at once.

3) Nope. It's as easy as clicking a few buttons. Possibly transferring a few files via the USB cable if the 3G reception isn't good in your parents' area or they end up having difficulty with the Wi-Fi. This may be a skill you might want to teach your parents to master if they don't already know how to drag and drop stuff to a folder on a USB drive, and then they can enjoy compatible free books from other sources as well as their Amazon purchases, such as our library right here at MR.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Thanks!

I am thinking of getting them the big one, since my dad likes to read papers and he resists wearing reading glasses whenever possible.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Elizilla - better check ["my dad likes to read papers "] as I believe you can share up to 6 books but NOT periodicals.
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
yes, you can register up to 6 K's on the same account.....the books can then be 'shared'....you simply use the download feature from the kindle account to send to the other Kindle.....not hard at all!
Partly true... You can register all the Kindles you want (I have 8)... the number 6 applies to the number of devices that can have the same book at the same time..
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the users guide

You can enjoy Kindle books and other content on any Kindle device you own or Kindle application you've downloaded as long you've registered each device and application to the Amazon.com account where your Kindle library is stored.

Publishers determine how many copies of each title can be downloaded to different Kindle devices at the same time. Subscription content can be downloaded to only one Kindle.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From the users guide

You can enjoy Kindle books and other content on any Kindle device you own or Kindle application you've downloaded as long you've registered each device and application to the Amazon.com account where your Kindle library is stored.

Publishers determine how many copies of each title can be downloaded to different Kindle devices at the same time. Subscription content can be downloaded to only one Kindle.
Yes All I was saying was that registering only 6 kindles was incorrect Everything else was dead on

Lucky for me I have never ran into the multiple device limit and that is with the 8 kindles and 10 other devices
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
Thanks!

I am thinking of getting them the big one, since my dad likes to read papers and he resists wearing reading glasses whenever possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
Elizilla - better check ["my dad likes to read papers "] as I believe you can share up to 6 books but NOT periodicals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Yes All I was saying was that registering only 6 kindles was incorrect Everything else was dead on

Lucky for me I have never ran into the multiple device limit and that is with the 8 kindles and 10 other devices
Sorry, rcuadro, I was answering the two top questions....... Not directed at you....dang......do you have enough reading devices???
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, rcuadro, I was answering the two top questions....... Not directed at you....dang......do you have enough reading devices???
I managed to get a good portion of my family reading... though for me alone I have a DXG, iPhone, iPod touch, iMac...
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I too remember hearing that periodicals are locked to a single device.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
1) Yes. You can have an unlimited number of "devices" (Kindles, Kindle for PC/Mac/iPhone/Blackberry apps, etc.) registered to the same account. But most publishers will only allow you to put your books on up to 6 of them.
A small but significant minority of books are more restrictive. I've had books that have refused to go onto more than 2 devices.

This is covered in the "Product Details" section of the book's Amazon page, but I never remember to check it before I buy :-(
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
Chris Edwards
Chris Edwards began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 2021
Does anyone know if the new licensing rules for periodicals starting December 1 will allow newspapers to be downloaded to more than one device? From what I remember reading there will be periodical support on the kindle apps starting then.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106033
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote