Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Gizmodo poll on music downloading

Ok, so it's not ebooks but I know people in the industry do tend to look to what goes on in music when they gauge the risks from illegal downloading. Today, Gizmodo polled their readers on the subject. Currently half of all respondents claim their music collections are "75-100% illegal". A mere 6.5% are claiming to be squeaky clean. (Polls are still open.)
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i know a lot of people who download music, and they're always surprised that i have for years had a recurring rhapsody membership. all the music in my mp3 players is from rhapsody, all nice and licensed.

i work on the internet and years ago winzip had a trial that allowed eternal use of winzip - the only thing to stop people was their terms. know how well that worked? when a webmaster posted a thread on a business board asking how long everyone had had their unpaid version of winzip working, almost everyone was at 4+ years, a few at over 7. and these are webmasters who are always on the lookout for people who steal their intellectual property.

i, btw, have a registered copy of winzip - but then, apparently i'm a weirdo
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have to admit I don't feel bad about ripping my own CDs for backups. I wish they had an option for that. I have some of my own CDs but no illegal downloads. I do also have a registered copy of winzip. I use it a lot. They've definitely earned my money. I think the point of my original post was realizing just how much a weirdo I am feeling the need to reciprocate for what I use.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I used to download a lot of mp3s.
Not anymore.
Internet radio is more than enough for me
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
My entire music collection is squeaky-clean legal. Either ripped from CDs I own (legal in the US, regardless of what the RIAA likes to claim); ripped from vinyl I own (ditto), downloads paid for from iTunes (a very few), or the occasional free sample from a record label (thanks Telarc!).

I really believe in artists and other creatives getting paid for their work.

Xenophon

Oh yeah... There's one disc I copied from a friend because it was not commercially available at all. And for that one, I contacted the band's agents -- who wrote back instructing me to donate the $2 that would have been the band's profits to my favorite charity; the agents paid the composer/arranger royalties on the music out of their own pockets 'cause they were so boggled that a total stranger would ask them how to pay for a copied disc that they'd never have known about.

So I guess that one's legal too.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i, btw, have a registered copy of winzip - but then, apparently i'm a weirdo
Another weirdo here. (although it doesn't help much on my mac).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Heck, I even make donations for shareware.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Me too! I've done enough programming in my life to know how much work goes into a good piece of software. If I use it and like it, then it's worth donating something for it.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Me three. All of my mp3s are either ripped from CDs I own, or I have purchased them through iTunes and burned them back to mp3 so that I can play them at home (my stereo system -- through TIVO -- doesn't play iTunes directly or anything other than mp3). Anything I ever got from a pirated source has long ago been replaced by iTunes purchases and the original files deleted.

However, I can't see the original poll .... so I'm just guessing that my response is on point.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote