Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #1816
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I've read a few of The Sookie Stackhouse novels, but haven't ever seen the True Blood series. How does it compare to the novels? I may put those on my wish list also.
I wasn't that jazzed about the books, but I dig the show just fine.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #1817
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I wasn't that jazzed about the books, but I dig the show just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I read all the True Blood books and enjoyed them. The first season of True Blood was enjoyable for me and the cast seemed perfect. Hated the second season. <snip>
I'm confused and think I need to go look up True Blood, as I thought it was a series that was just like the books with Sookie Stackhouse and didn't know that there were True Blood books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It is hard deciding when to jump and when not.
So true. I always talk myself into then out of it over and over. Sometimes it even ends up at the "into" stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I hear ya. At the last BoB sale, I bought several Evelyn Waugh novels at a fantastic discount (they're not discounted at all elsewhere) and was tempted to buy the entire oeuvre, but thought I'd wait for the next sale. For no good reason! It wasn't as if they were likely to get cheaper, but I just felt greedy, I suppose. We all know how that worked out.

Oh, well, as you say, I've read them already....
I keep telling myself that, so I don't feel so bad about not getting them. I even use the below by HIMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
<snip> .... tell yourself one of the mantra's a little more often: there will always be another sale.
*I'll respond to this, as I use this often*
I used that last year because I just knew there would be the same sale this year and, as issybird said, "We all know how that worked out"; no BoB this year and so far no big sales. {sigh}
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #1818
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I think I shall quote the mutual fund companies in saying "past performance is not indicative of future performance."

You can do better, you just need to tell yourself one of the mantra's a little more often: there will always be another sale.
For the Baen bundles, there won't be. I just can't resist them.... and thay'll take me over 120 this year.

But thank you for the words of encouragement. I shall certainly try to go over by as small a margin as I can.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #1819
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and so far no big sales. {sigh}
There have been some decent discounts for the odd book from Kobo.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #1820
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm confused and think I need to go look up True Blood, as I thought it was a series that was just like the books with Sookie Stackhouse and didn't know that there were True Blood books.
The True Blood/Sookie relationship is kind of like the Dexter and Walking Dead relationships. In all three cases, the first book inspired the first season, but changes were made for TV. Thus, as each TV series progresses, it gets less and less like the books; the repercussions of those first changes keep growing. (In fact, the Dexter TV series claims no relationship at all to any books beyond the first.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #1821
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Oops, sorry. There were no True Blood books. I meant Sookie Stackhouse, but obviously wrote that too quickly.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #1822
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There have been some decent discounts for the odd book from Kobo.
They're my downfall too. But such good deals! And now, with them only being for a limited time, one needs to pay attention or you miss them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1823
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They're my downfall too. But such good deals! And now, with them only being for a limited time, one needs to pay attention or you miss them.
The thing is, there are always new discounts, so you're not "actually" missing out. The whole point of time-limited sales is to make you feel like that you must grab the deal or you lose out and are disadvantaged, and it works (on me, too).

But spending $5 on a 50% off book that you won't read now, or maybe ever, and that joins the pile of untouched e-books, is still $5 that you spent, not $5 that you saved.

(Now if I only would always remember that. )
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1824
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Don't you hate it when that happens? I have books in my library, I have no idea what they are. Someone recommends a book or ENT has a free book that looks interesting, so I download it figuring to get to it after the TBR pile is empty, which, of course, it never is.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #1825
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I keep telling myself that, so I don't feel so bad about not getting them. I even use the below by HIMS.

*I'll respond to this, as I use this often*
I used that last year because I just knew there would be the same sale this year and, as issybird said, "We all know how that worked out"; no BoB this year and so far no big sales. {sigh}
From Wikipedia.

In descending order of number of new titles per year, as of the latest year available, sometimes "new titles and editions":

1. United States (2010) 328,259 (new titles and editions) [2]
2. China (2011) 207,506 (369,523 total) [3]
3. United Kingdom (2011) 149,800 [4]
4. Russian Federation (2012) 116,888 (total) [5]
5. India (2004) 82,537 (total; 21,370 in Hindi, 18,752 in English, and 42,415 in other Indian languages) [6]
6. Germany (2011) 82,048 [4]
7. Japan (2012) 78,349 [7]
8. Spain (2011) 74,244
9. Iran (2010) 65,000 [8][9]
10. Pakistan (2010) 45,0
11. Turkey (2011) 43,100 (total) [10]
12. France (2011) 41,902 [4]
13. Italy (2011) 39,898 [4]
14. South Korea (2012) 39,767 [11]
15. Netherlands (1993) 34,067 [12]
16. Poland (2010) 31,500 [13]
17. Taiwan (2010) 28,084 (43,258 total) [14]
18. Vietnam (2009) 24,589 [15]
19. Indonesia (2009) 24,000+ [15]
20. Argentina (2010) 22,781 (26,387 total) [16]
21. Canada (1996) 19,900 [17]

I'm not going to get hung up on a sale. Ever. It's not like there isn't going to be something like a million titles every year for me to potentially read. There's got to be something that's a reasonable price or available from the library.

I've also gone down the path of putting wanted books into eReaderIQ which works for Canada specifically to inform me of price drops on books. It is spectacularly useful for telling me when Amazon.ca randomly drops a book price like The Sisters Brothers a couple weeks back that showed up for $1.99 instead of the usual $9.99.

My opinion is also heavily slanted by the fact that I reread almost nothing and since Overdrive doesn't work with Kindle in Canada, I read most of my books in paper from the library. My eReader is used for convenience to fill in gaps when my library requests are late coming.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #1826
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have so many books to read in both paper and digital, plus I have already read the Georgette Heyer books and still have some in paper. I think it is just that I really enjoyed those and I do reread a lot. I do prefer digital over paper. I am down to just 2 book cases stacked double with paper books and really need to keep cleaning them out. I just don't go back to paper books as much anymore.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #1827
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just the one book today - The Dead Virgins - a mystery linked to ancient Rome. Sounds good...and it was free.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #1828
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
Just the one book today - The Dead Virgins - a mystery linked to ancient Rome. Sounds good...and it was free.
I don't count freebies. I have 2,095 free ebooks in calibre out of 4,488 entries. I've read 172 of them, I have another 160 marked down as 'read sometime soonish', and I have no idea when I'll get to the rest.

But that's OK! Because they were free!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #1829
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
i am so happy to have found this thread...not only to read that I am not as bad off as I think but to know there are others like me.

I used to love to read, but then I had my daughter and went back to school so reading just felt like a way to get her to sleep or something I had to do for school. I lost my passion for it. this year, more so after joining this forum, I have tried getting back in the game. I have only read about 7 books in the last 2-3 months, but for me i feel pretty good about it.

I do know have to admit that I found that I have an addiction to free/discounted. I spend much of my day in the freebies sections. I have always been a horror/thiller/mysery person but thanks to my fellow addicts in the freebie section i have started to get into Romantic Suspense. Back when I only read [s]actual[/s] physical books, i didn't realize how much I was addicted to buying books. I was funny about it, I had to have hard covers, wouldn't buy anything else, but i also only bought books for my very favorite authors. Any other books I would get at those lovely little annual Library Sales when you could go crazy and maybe spend like a 0.25 -3 for a book you know was well worth more than that. but now, i see a freebie and I click. no matter what (unless it looks really stupid). I figure if I never get to it, my mother, step mother or aunts might. Sad right?! to get them just because its free. The truly sad thing is I have about 50 books on my amazon wishlist (just started it last month) and most of them are only 0.99 (many of those bundles) but I am holding out until they are free. It kills me to because I know I should get them now while I can at that price, but i just remind myself that teenagers are expensive and I cannot afford to spend money on me. What is that?!

OK. I have confessed/vented enough for a newb to the thread, but I am sure I'll be back soon
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #1830
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
i am so happy to have found this thread...not only to read that I am not as bad off as I think but to know there are others like me.
Welcome to the thread! And I think you have just the right idea - get the freebies by all means, but be selective about those you have to pay money for, even $0.99.

Have you read the first post of the thread? I copied the three rules that I've found help there.

So: Is a $0.99 book on special offer, AND on your wishlist of books or authors? If it is, buy it. But if it's just some book that looks interesting, think very carefully before buying it.

I'm glad to hear you're able to enjoy reading for pleasure again.

(Oh - and do keep reading to your daughter, but try to find books where she doesn't fall asleep! )