Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #1801
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I usually read one book at a time, and I almost always finish the book, unless it's really awful or not to my taste.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #1802
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
My big downfall this year has actually been paperbacks. Particularly second-hand crime paperbacks.

Crime is not one of my main genres - I've always dabbled in it a bit, but I'm mainly an SF&F reader, I'd say - so I'm not so bothered about getting good quality books to keep, and I don't want to pay a lot, but lately I've been consumed with enthusiasm to read some of the classics, particularly from the Golden Age, and I've also set myself a challenge to read a detective beginning with every letter of the alphabet. I also like to get out of the office at lunchtime, and a visit to a charity shop or second-hand bookshop is as good an excuse as any. (Agatha Christie is great for this - the tiniest charity shop is still reasonably likely to have at least one book by her.) Just yesterday I bought two omnibuses containing five new novels (and two duplicates). I'm miles ahead of where I need to be, and for some reason I seem to prefer to buy several books in each series instead of just one.

On the plus side, I have also been getting rid of paper books. Charity shops are quite good for that, too.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #1803
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just the two downloads today...or was it three?
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #1804
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I bought a book for my Kindle app yesterday that was $2.99. In paperback, that same book is over $14!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #1805
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I bought a book for my Kindle app yesterday that was $2.99. In paperback, that same book is over $14!
One of the reasons I like ebooks. But mainly it's the convenience. (Buying, carrying, reading, storing)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #1806
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For me it's the convenience. And the ease of always having the same, manageable-sized book. The way some genres have gone lately, the books were getting too big to comfortably read. Plus if I don't have my contact in, I just increase the font size and can still read. Plus the books are (usually) cheaper. And, finally, the Amazon Kindle instant gratification. (Which has caused some of the issues that keep me on this thread!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #1807
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
I usually read one book at a time,
I tend to read several books at a time, but mostly of different genres. I tend to have a history book going most of the time, maybe a cooking/food related book and one or two other non-fiction ones. Often I have a fiction book or two on going as well (but not at the moment ).

Quote:
and I almost always finish the book, unless it's really awful or not to my taste. This year so far I've only abandoned 8 out of 127 (& that's higher than usual for me).
I also tend to finish most of the books I start. This year I dropped one out of the 50 or so book I started.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #1808
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Well I did get 12 new Georgette Heyer books this month (I do miss BoB!!!)

I was hoping to fill out my collection on a good sale, but now I'll have to get the rest of them piecemeal during sales and coupons here and there.
I had done so well last year in resisting the lure of buying all of them during the sale because I just knew the sale would be great again in 2013. I was so proud of myself and keeping to my goals.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Georgette Heyer Birthday Week Sale!
*fingers firmly in my ears*

Coupons! , DRM-free, but a little more!
*fingers _still_ firmly in my ears*

Well, OK, I admit it would be much better to have a blindfold over my eyes, but I ... I .. just can't resist at least _seeing_ all the deals.

I am going to try to resist...
*well, only because I read many of them years ago, already have a few in ebook, and have saved some in pbook.*

But, but, still... the urge is great to just BUY!
Quote:
Geesh. Why did I think that my weakening resolve would be strengthened?

As it is, I have this urge to go searching and checking how much .... oops, there I go again.

I will hold out.... I will hold out ... I will hold out.
*besides, there will probably be a sale next year and I can look forward to that. *

I thought that by now there would be a great sale again, even without BoB. I have a GC at Amazon and Sony all ready to be used.
Now, I really wish I wasn't so good last year.

Oh well, I have already read most of them anyway.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #1809
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I thought that by now there would be a great sale again, even without BoB.
That's one thing I've learned - if you know you want it, and it's a solid deal, pounce on it. You may not get the chance later. During the last Kobo contest, I picked up some books at good prices even though I knew the retail prices would drop in about a year...because the deals were good enough to make the earlier purchase worthwhile.

By the same token, though, I've got a few DVDs on my "watch for the Thanksgiving deals" list. True Blood, for instance; I've watched the first two seasons and own the first four. I know season five is out, but I got all of the first four at $10 each as Thanksgiving deals, so I'll hold off a bit...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #1810
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
That's one thing I've learned - if you know you want it, and it's a solid deal, pounce on it. You may not get the chance later. During the last Kobo contest, I picked up some books at good prices even though I knew the retail prices would drop in about a year...because the deals were good enough to make the earlier purchase worthwhile.
I was given the same advice about not passing up the sale last year, but did I listen? No. {sigh}
I have now learned my lesson.

Quote:
By the same token, though, I've got a few DVDs on my "watch for the Thanksgiving deals" list. True Blood, for instance; I've watched the first two seasons and own the first four. I know season five is out, but I got all of the first four at $10 each as Thanksgiving deals, so I'll hold off a bit...
I do the same thing for DVDs. I already have my wishlist set up and all ready for the sales.

I've read a few of The Sookie Stackhouse novels, but haven't ever seen the True Blood series. How does it compare to the novels? I may put those on my wish list also.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #1811
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It is hard deciding when to jump and when not.

I must admit that I bought as many of the Heyers as I could in the last sale. But then, I haven't read them before.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #1812
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It is quite annoying when something on your wish list suddenly jumps upwards in price, but I'm not sure that means you should buy everything now. it's just happened to me again today, but the book in question was actually the 6th in a series of which I haven't even read the first, yet, so does it really matter that I've missed it? I might still have saved the value of the lower price, instead of lost the difference.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #1813
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I had done so well last year in resisting the lure of buying all of them during the sale because I just knew the sale would be great again in 2013. I was so proud of myself and keeping to my goals.
Spoiler:

I thought that by now there would be a great sale again, even without BoB. I have a GC at Amazon and Sony all ready to be used.
Now, I really wish I wasn't so good last year.

Oh well, I have already read most of them anyway.
I hear ya. At the last BoB sale, I bought several Evelyn Waugh novels at a fantastic discount (they're not discounted at all elsewhere) and was tempted to buy the entire oeuvre, but thought I'd wait for the next sale. For no good reason! It wasn't as if they were likely to get cheaper, but I just felt greedy, I suppose. We all know how that worked out.

Oh, well, as you say, I've read them already....
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #1814
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have to report that I've failed in my attempt this year to restrict my ebook buys to less than 120. So far this year I've bought 108 ebooks, and I'll certainly be buying more than 12 ebooks over the rest of the year.
I think I shall quote the mutual fund companies in saying "past performance is not indicative of future performance."

You can do better, you just need to tell yourself one of the mantra's a little more often: there will always be another sale.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #1815
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I've read a few of The Sookie Stackhouse novels, but haven't ever seen the True Blood series. How does it compare to the novels? I may put those on my wish list also.
I read all the Sookie Stackhouse books and enjoyed them. The first season of True Blood was enjoyable for me and the cast seemed perfect. Hated the second season. You couldn't pay me to watch any further seasons. Several of my friends felt the same, although those who hadn't read the books weren't quite as disenchanted. Probably you should try the series one season at a time.

Last edited by BelleZora; 08-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote