Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I did it

Went today and got myself a 32gb iPad. Busy loading everything. Some questions.

Do you use iCloud. If so do you sync all or just some functions

Do you use a screen protector.

Will probably have more questions as I go along.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
iCloud, absolutely. I have had a me.com account for a couple of years, so it was a no brainer to make the switch. I like my contact, calendars, bookmarks etc all being synced to whichever device I happen to have. I didnt realise just how good it is until I did a clean install on both my macbook pro, and my imac, and everything just appeared, automagically.

Screen protector, Not at the moment. I will eventually buy a power support antiglare (which is what I have on my 3GS, and had on my iphone4 when I owned it) when it comes to Australian apple stores. I've found it very resistant to finger prints, whereas without protection, I need to have a microfibre cloth. I would not touch antiglare from any other company, its not working with the new screen, and I am pretty sure that Power support will do it right. Any others, use a clear one.

Questions are good Best advice is explore the store and dont save your password on your Apple ID. If you have to enter a pass every time you want to buy it gives you that minute of breathing space to ask yourself if you really want it. Its addictive.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
iCloud, absolutely. I have had a me.com account for a couple of years, so it was a no brainer to make the switch. I like my contact, calendars, bookmarks etc all being synced to whichever device I happen to have. I didnt realise just how good it is until I did a clean install on both my macbook pro, and my imac, and everything just appeared, automagically.

Screen protector, Not at the moment. I will eventually buy a power support antiglare (which is what I have on my 3GS, and had on my iphone4 when I owned it) when it comes to Australian apple stores. I've found it very resistant to finger prints, whereas without protection, I need to have a microfibre cloth. I would not touch antiglare from any other company, its not working with the new screen, and I am pretty sure that Power support will do it right. Any others, use a clear one.

Questions are good Best advice is explore the store and dont save your password on your Apple ID. If you have to enter a pass every time you want to buy it gives you that minute of breathing space to ask yourself if you really want it. Its addictive.
I originally had the iCloud set up on my 3GS but I ended up with multiple contacts and calendar entries. I sync with outlook and I couldn't export to outlook cause mine is 2003 version.

So far I've been downloading my apps and trying to arrange things. I downloaded dolphin HD browser. Skype called my BIL this am. Fun.

I dont store my pwords on my devices either. I also set a lock for the sign in screen.

Carol
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I use the Zaag full body protector since there is a sheet for the screen and for the back... and the smart cover... nothing more.

As for iCloud... I use it! I have had a mobileme account for a while and have used it to keep my mac and iphone synced for some time. It only made sense to do it.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I originally had the iCloud set up on my 3GS but I ended up with multiple contacts and calendar entries. I sync with outlook and I couldn't export to outlook cause mine is 2003 version.

So far I've been downloading my apps and trying to arrange things. I downloaded dolphin HD browser. Skype called my BIL this am. Fun.

I dont store my pwords on my devices either. I also set a lock for the sign in screen.

Carol
If you set it to sync with calendars and contacts on your computer as well, you'll get that. It happened to me as well, until I realised I was syncing to the device from iCloud *and* the computer. If you let iCloud handle it, that all goes away.

Browser: oddly, even though I paid for two far superior browsers, I still find myself using Safari most of all (I bought Atomic, and iCabMobile: the latter is the better of the two). Never tried Dolphin.
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have yet to use the calendar and the like on my IPad but that is me. I might start using it one of these days.

I have been using Safari without any problems. I think buying the stylus was a great idea. Love not having to wipe the fingerprints off of screens every 10 minutes.

I have not set the password for opening my IPad but I will when I am travelling. Right now, my IPad stays in the house. I take my Kindle with me when I leave the house and am going to be outside. I can read a book easily enough. Since I want my hubby to be able to pick up and use my IPad whenever, I see no reason to lock it inside the house.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Went today and got myself a 32gb iPad. Busy loading everything. Some questions.

Do you use iCloud. If so do you sync all or just some functions
I don't use it at the moment, but it's worth trying out to see if it's useful to you. For example if you have an iphone and take photos, photostream can save manually transfering photos (as long as you don't mind your photos going via Apple servers).

Since they've added wifi syncing with a desktop, I just use that to sync bookmarks and backup the iPad. My calendar and documents are sync'd via caldav/webdav so don't apply to iCloud.

Quote:
Do you use a screen protector.
I did, but they scratch too easy. In the year I've used it without (but with a case for the iPad when not in use) i've yet to damage the screen and it picks up less (but still plenty) fingerprints.

If you'd like a few app recommendations to check out. Goodreader for PDF, Notebooks for general text notes/writing. Firetask is a pretty good task app too. Kindle app probably goes without saying iTunesU for lots of free education content. Sure others will chime in with their most used apps before long :P
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
No screen protector here. I did get the Apple Care Plus package though. It allows two replacements of the IPad if it is accidently damaged for $50 a pop. I figured that with two dogs and a new born on the way, the money was well spent.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I use one of the leather protectors, that is magnetically attached to the side. No scratches at all. I do have a transparent plastic layer on the aluminium back though, which is recommended. It doesn't slide soo easy either, which is a plus.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
If you set it to sync with calendars and contacts on your computer as well, you'll get that. It happened to me as well, until I realised I was syncing to the device from iCloud *and* the computer. If you let iCloud handle it, that all goes away.

Browser: oddly, even though I paid for two far superior browsers, I still find myself using Safari most of all (I bought Atomic, and iCabMobile: the latter is the better of the two). Never tried Dolphin.
I may try the iCloud again. I cleaned up my iPhone and iPad. The iCloud still has the multiple entries. If I use it again will it take the stuff from my phone or will it put the duplicates all back on the phone.

Carol
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have yet to use the calendar and the like on my IPad but that is me. I might start using it one of these days.

I have been using Safari without any problems. I think buying the stylus was a great idea. Love not having to wipe the fingerprints off of screens every 10 minutes.

I have not set the password for opening my IPad but I will when I am travelling. Right now, my IPad stays in the house. I take my Kindle with me when I leave the house and am going to be outside. I can read a book easily enough. Since I want my hubby to be able to pick up and use my IPad whenever, I see no reason to lock it inside the house.
I have a stylus and I like to. I took the password off for opening up the ipad my husband and I both use the same password for iPhone and everything so that was no problem but it was just a pain to use it every time

Carol
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I don't use it at the moment, but it's worth trying out to see if it's useful to you. For example if you have an iphone and take photos, photostream can save manually transfering photos (as long as you don't mind your photos going via Apple servers).

Since they've added wifi syncing with a desktop, I just use that to sync bookmarks and backup the iPad. My calendar and documents are sync'd via caldav/webdav so don't apply to iCloud.

I did, but they scratch too easy. In the year I've used it without (but with a case for the iPad when not in use) i've yet to damage the screen and it picks up less (but still plenty) fingerprints.

If you'd like a few app recommendations to check out. Goodreader for PDF, Notebooks for general text notes/writing. Firetask is a pretty good task app too. Kindle app probably goes without saying iTunesU for lots of free education content. Sure others will chime in with their most used apps before long :P
Thanks for the app recommendations will have to check them out

Carol
Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
No screen protector here. I did get the Apple Care Plus package though. It allows two replacements of the IPad if it is accidently damaged for $50 a pop. I figured that with two dogs and a new born on the way, the money was well spent.
I didn't get the AppleCare plus. I have a month if I change my mind.

Carol
Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I use one of the leather protectors, that is magnetically attached to the side. No scratches at all. I do have a transparent plastic layer on the aluminium back though, which is recommended. It doesn't slide soo easy either, which is a plus.
I bought the smart cover too. Also bought a belkin thin cover for the back. Works out good.

Carol
Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I may try the iCloud again. I cleaned up my iPhone and iPad. The iCloud still has the multiple entries. If I use it again will it take the stuff from my phone or will it put the duplicates all back on the phone.

Carol
I've still got a few leftover multiples in my calendars but nothing like I had before. I just had to uncheck syncing with the computer, in itunes, and i let icloud do the rest, and crossed my fingers. I dont think I actually had multiple entries in icloud itself. they just showed up on the device and computer because i was syncing both.