Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Polokus
Polokus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindling in China - Ni Hao!

Greetings friends! Or as we learners of Chinese say: Ni Hao! 你好!

I'm an English guy living and working in China, and I just bought a Kindle DX! Yeah, really! I bought it on Taobao, (that's like the Chinese version of Ebay,) from a company in Beijing. I heard they were selling plenty of them.

I never had an ebook reader before and I love it. I wanted to buy the Kindle 2, but the only way to get it in China was to have a friend in the US buy it for you and smuggle it in a suitcase or something, and I don't have any friends like that, so I never got it.

So when I first heard about the Kindle DX and how Amazon were willing to "ship to China" I was so pleased and made up my mind to get one. It's a great thing and I really like reading with it. (Getting new and quality reading material in English here is no picnic, so something like this is just a gift from the gods.)

Only trouble is... maybe Amazon will ship it to China, but they won't support it here! Can't use Whispernet, can't shop at the 'Kindle store', can't upload documents for conversion, can't use the experimental web browser, etc, etc. I did get the nice welcome message letter on it though, wasn't that nice of them!

Anyway greetings everyone, and if folk could give me some suggestions re. where to go to purchase/acquire ebooks and be able to download them so I can put them on my Kindle with the USB cord, I'd be really grateful.

I know about Project Gutenberg of course, (awesome!), but I'm longing to read books like The Inheritors by William Golding, anything by Cormac McCarthy, anything by Carl Sagan, Jared Diamond and so on.

Polokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Polokus and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to MobileRead Polokus!

Are you in China long term? If not maybe registering your Kindle with your home country address will open more books to you.

Take a look at the links in my sig for some fun things you can do with your Kindle. Also see our wiki for more information on E-book stores.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Polokus

Thanks for the welcome and links daffy4u, plenty to get my teeth into there!

Been in China for 5 years now, no plans to leave just yet, (in spite of so many little inconveniences like this one!)

This seems like a neat place, looking forward to spending more time here.

Last edited by Polokus; 02-08-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I seem to remember reading recently, Polokus, of a Chinese manufactured reader becoming available on the mainland and supporting simple Chinese. I'll see if I can track down a link for you, though someone else here might have it immediately to hand. Good to have your company. Very much looking forward to your posts. My own wee publishing house has just signed half a dozen publishing deals in China for paperback releases of our titles in simple Chinese, but I know very little about the ebook scene on the mainland. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Polokus

Hi Neil, could be you're thinking of the Boeye E900, claimed to be a "clone" of the Kindle DX and which seems to have been making a stir around the 'blogosphere' recently. To tell the truth I tried to get one of these, but the company told me by email that they were still having problems with the machine's software and that it would probably be late March or early April before the thing actually gets into the marketplace! (This kind of thing is not all that unusual in China actually.) I was itching by that point to have my own ebook reader, so I just lashed out on a real Kindle DX, and I don't think I'm going to regret it.

Congrats on your entry into the Chinese market by the way, where can I learn more about your titles?

Last edited by Polokus; 02-08-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	chinese welcome.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	45202 to Mobileread, English guy Polokus.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polokus View Post
Hi Neil, could be you're thinking of the Boeye E900, claimed to be a "clone" of the Kindle DX
I see they even cloned the crappy lack of a separate number line on the keypad too. Interesting to see it also includes a microsd slot too and only 128mb internal RAM.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #11
Polokus

Thanks for the stylish Chinese welcome Lady Blue! Cool! 你会说中国话吗?

He he, yeah Rootman, you got a point. Those kinds of details are always subject to change though it seems.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
That's the Chinese reader I had in mind, Polukus. Sorry to hear it's stalled. You can see our own titles at www.bewrite.net (the site's undergoing a major re-structuring this month, so sorry for any hiccups). The titles we're about to see in 'simple' Chinese (all crime novels so far) are being translated, worked and released in mass run paperback by the Guizhou's People's Publishing House. You come across them? If any of our titles catch your eye, by the way, drop me a line and I'll be happy to send you the PDFs free. Other formats and paperback, I'm afraid, you've got to pay for. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote