Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #91
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
This is very true (although, I'd say this is CSS problem in general - it is not much easier with DTBook, for instance) and I see a lot of friction there as devices start to utilize user stylesheets more. Note that doing blind overrides (e.g. overriding justify or font on p element) is not very good solution because some parts of the book may require particular style: for instance, poetry and code samples should be left-justified and math formulas typically require a specific font. What is needed is a guide on how to author documents so that user stylesheets can selectively override only things which are meant to be overridable.
Basically, we need a way to make EPUB files more semantic and editor/converter support for outputting semantic markup.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #92
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Basically, a style guide for the XHTML, right?

I worked one out here
, and I've continued to work on it in private, including moving to Dublin Core metadata where possible. (I should update the post.)

It'd be great to get some "professional" guidance, but I think the big boys are still fighting over territory.

m a r

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 12-31-2009 at 03:21 PM.
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #93
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
This is very true (although, I'd say this is CSS problem in general - it is not much easier with DTBook, for instance) and I see a lot of friction there as devices start to utilize user stylesheets more. Note that doing blind overrides (e.g. overriding justify or font on p element) is not very good solution because some parts of the book may require particular style: for instance, poetry and code samples should be left-justified and math formulas typically require a specific font. What is needed is a guide on how to author documents so that user stylesheets can selectively override only things which are meant to be overridable.
Actually there is a guide like that. Authors should not define those things that the user should have control over. This is spelled out very well for Mobipocket format and could easily be adopted for ePUB.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #94
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually there is a guide like that. Authors should not define those things that the user should have control over. This is spelled out very well for Mobipocket format and could easily be adopted for ePUB.
But then one thing is what the user "should have control over", and another thing is what the user "has control over". Take fonts or justification. In ADE there's no way to change them, so if the defaults are not enough for your book (for instance, if you have Cyrillic characters), you had to define it (embed a font with Cyrillic characters). Now the Cybook firmware allows the user to change fonts and justification, so this is not needed, but other readers still don't support this.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #95
Fringecup
Enthusiast
Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Fringecup has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch Edition
A couple of folks earlier on were discussing converting to ePub from other formats. Well I'm really new at ePub and didn't have a word processor (to my knowledge anyway) that would save a file in ePub format. So I searched out one called "Atlantis" that would so this. I've found, after a bit of playing around with it, that Atlantis is the cat's meow for convertine .txt and .rtx files! All you do is copy them into Atlantis, then press the save - special button and ePub is one of the options! Then, once it's in ePub, you can identify the REAL author (rather than your reader thinking that YOU are the author) and you can insert an image at the beginning to serve as a cover, if you want one. I like that featire because I have my Sony 600 set to show thumbnail images and a picture is much easier to see at a glance than some tiny words!

I've also had no problem in converting .txt files into .pdf ones that are set up for my reader by following the instructions given in the Sony help files. the problem with this method is that the book always shows up as having written by me (a lie) and I haven't figured out how to put a picture as a cover for my thumbnails.

From now on, I plan to use just ePub - it's great!!
Fringecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #96
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

The answer for what is great in ePubs lies in the size of the files. Generally ePub shows all the information that PDF files offer in a much smaller size. PDF books that consumes hundreds of MB when converted to ePub files takes only a few MB space of memory.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #97
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Not really. If I would create a real PDF with text, the size would not be hundreds of MB but more closely to the ePUB size. If you have a PDF which is hundreds of MB, it is quite probable that all pages are images instead of text.
There are many advantages, but size is relative.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please don't resurrect ancient threads for no good purpose. It's better to start a new thread.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #99
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
But this is a sticky thread, maybe we should un-sticky it if we don't want it to come back to life?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're right. 3 years with no posts is enough. Unstuck.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote