Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
connecting ipad to the internet through an android phone?

I'm thinking of getting an ipad and would like the 3g connectivity, but in additional to monthly fees it's going to set me almost 200 dollars compared to wifi only. If I buy a wifi only, would it be possible for me to connect to the ipad to the internet through my android phone? I think this would be sufficient for my needs, but I'd like to have some kind of back up in situations where wifi isn't available.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If your Android phone (and more importantly, your carrier) has general wi-fi hotspot capability, sure. It would just be another wi-fi device connecting.

Direct tethering is also possible through some software/rooting, apparently. But the wi-fi hotspot approach seems really flexible.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
What I did last year was buy a wifi gadget from one of the local providers. Yes, it meant I had a phone with net as well as the gadget, but I could connect anything i needed to, to the gadget, and kept my phone free for phone and app stuff. And, if necessary, the phone could connect to it as well. It might seem like overkill but I found it really useful.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
I use my Android (HTC Aria) as a wifi hotspot with my iPad all the time. You can definetly do it but you may end up paying. My phone is rooted and running CM7 which has a hotspot option so I don't have to pay for it through my carrier(AT&T). Even though I use my phone as a hotspot it's never for extended periods of time. Usually when I'm waiting for an appointment so I haven't given my carrier a reason to become suspicious.

Your best bet may be to check out XDA Developers and search up your question there.

Good Luck!
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Thanks so much, everyone. This is new ground to me so I had no idea what the options were, this is really useful. I'm going to find out from my provider first what they provide (or not). I wouldn't really mind another gadget, either, if it's not too big. I'm not too worried about charges, it's just for those occasions where you need to log on quickly and get something done and then move on.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert