Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook reader should I get?
Sony PRS-650 53 42.06%
Nook 10 7.94%
Kobo 11 8.73%
Kindle 3 46 36.51%
Other (Please post and let me know which eBook reader) 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #106
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That is, do charts, links, pictures, code sample, etc, look or work ANY differently in their ePub vs. their mobi versions?
ApK
Talking specifically about the electronic format, same book, YES!. epub is richer internally, so it allows a better formatting for complex books, like those with charts, pictures, text around picture, etc.

Having said that, MOBI allows same rendering and you can read and publish the same book with little or no change. I sold my Nook because I was not able to find my MS-SQL, Oracle and technical books on B&N, so I changed to Kindle and it displays those technical books really good, I am really happy with the buy. I read those on my Kindle DXG, but they are still readable on my Kindle 3.

I saw a nice article in a blog, can't remember the site, where the user bought same book on 3 or 4 different formats. It was a book with complex layout. On your eyes, epub vs mobi look almost identical, but there were minor differences in terms of file size (epub was bigger) and picture resolution or size was slightly better on epub.

EDIT: I found the format comparison, can be found here http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45297

Last edited by jocampo; 12-10-2010 at 03:48 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #107
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Talking specifically about the electronic format, same book, YES!. epub is richer internally, so it allows a better formatting for complex books, like those with charts, pictures, text around picture, etc.
Can you give any specifics on how epub is 'richer?' I've never read the two specs, but from what little I've read about them (wikipedia, yech), both mobi and epub seem to be based on the same Open EBook content format. I do see mention that mobi has a 64KB limit on images, and presumably epub can hold bigger ones, but other than that?

Here is the respose from O'Reilly:

"The ePub and Mobi formats are pretty similar, so either one of those should be fine. There isn't a reason that I'm aware of that one is better than the other."

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 12-10-2010 at 03:50 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #108
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you give any specifics on how epub is 'richer?' I've never read the two specs, but from what little I've read about them (wikipedia, yech), both mobi and epub seem to be based on the same Open EBook content format. I do see mention that mobi has a 64KB limit on images, and presumably epub can hold bigger ones, but other than that?

Here is the respose from O'Reilly:

"The ePub and Mobi formats are pretty similar, so either one of those should be fine. There isn't a reason that I'm aware of that one is better than the other."

ApK
That is true, but I believe epub supports reflowing and CSS, besides some other internal specifications; I don't remember right now, bunch of technical details, maybe is boring stuff to you .

In real practice, those differences are minimal and you will find same book on both formats, with same result. The fact is that 90% of the time, same book you see on B&N is also on Amazon as Kindle or azw format.

Keep in mind that not all people read technical books, so for pure text or novels any format will display basically the same.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #109
ruel
ruel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just found out that Borders is selling the Sony PRS950 for $240 and they ship to Canada for only $6. I decided to order it, although there are none in stock at the moment so it looks like I might have to wait a while to get it.
ruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #110
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel View Post
I just found out that Borders is selling the Sony PRS950 for $240 and they ship to Canada for only $6. I decided to order it, although there are none in stock at the moment so it looks like I might have to wait a while to get it.
Excellent. I hope you receive it soon and enjoy using it.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #111
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel View Post
Great. Enjoy your e-reader!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No, he's not, and the details of why and the facts have been repeated many times in many threads here.

Similarly, you said:
"if you do want to be able to read free eBook via your local library, a Kindle is not a good fit. "
That's utterly and completely wrong for the many of us who read library epub books and find the Kindle to be a perfect fit.

Now, MIGHT the Kindle not be a good fit, depending on one's particular preferences and situation? Sure. But that's a very different thing to say, and it would be true, for one reason or another, for every reader, in fact every consumer item on the planet.
But we are not talking stripping DRM. We are talking as is. As you get from the library. As you get from the library, the DRm and ePub are 100% incompatible with the Kindle. So really, for library eBooks, the K3 is a poor fit. And really, you are mixing up what I am saying with what you want to have been said.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
All of the big e-readers They are all trying to tie you to their store.
Well, I hate to say this, but you can buy eBooks for a Sony Reader anyplace that sells ePub as long as it's not Apple or B&N. You can but eBooks for a nook anyplace that sells ePub except Apple. If you have an iPad, you can buy ePub from anyone that sells ePub and you can even buy from Amazon. If you have a Kobo, you can buy the same eBooks as you can for Sony. So I don't see how this is trying to tie you into anything. Really.. the only device that actually ties you into anything (DRMed eBooks only) is Amazon. You cannot buy any eBooks from any other shop (that has DRM). And you cannot borrow library eBooks.

But, I guess being interoperable is how all (except Amazon) the big readers will tie you into their shop only. But for those who know about this tie-in with Amazon and are OK with it, then the K3 can be a good fit. It's just when someone gets a K3 and doesn't know and wants to go shop elsewhere are use library eBooks that a problem arises. So give people as much information as possible to let them make an informed choice.

So not give out false information.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Let Amazon realize that while supporting ePub/ADE might result in users buying SOME eBooks from stores other than Amazon, if people buy a device other than a Kindle, then they will be buying NO eBooks from Amazon.
Actually, with the Kindle app, you don't actually have to buy a Kindle. You can buy say an iPad. And to be honest, as of right now, an iPad is the best overall device for reading eBooks. It can handle Kindle, ePub, library ePub (via Overdrive), & PDF. So really, it's the best mutli-function device currently out there.

I do think that once Android 3.0 is released with Android marketplace and there are decent tablets available (hardware wise), then the iPad will have competition. But until then, the iPad is the best.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And yet they are still the market leader....however do they manage with your support?

Speaking of those Coleco games, tell me I'm not the only one who imagined that the Football game was really a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
Actually, I do have an original Coleco football game. It looks nicer then the one pictured here.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #116
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jon, I can only respond to what you write, not to what you imagine you mean. You said the kindle isn't a good fit for library books. If you don't qualify that statement, it's wrong, because it can be a great fit.
I'm not arguing that if library books and other ADE ePubs are one's primary need, then for several reason Kindle may not be a good fit. It very well may not be.
But it is for many of us.
Strictly speaking, not that I would have quibbled if you didn't bring it up, you can't do library books on Nook "as is" either, if that was indeed all we are talking about, as you need to download the ADE software separately. But it is officially supported, which I think is more to the point.

Try your own advice on not giving false information. Like this:
"And to be honest, as of right now, an iPad is the best overall device for reading eBooks."

To be honest, bull.
iPad, is a heavy, overpriced, battery-sucking, glaring, back-lit beast.
If the multiple apps overcome all that for YOU, swell, but how about acknowledging all those reason why another device...ANY other device... MAY be MUCH better for reading ebooks.

And another thing....I think the green Football II (pictured, that _I_ had) looks nicer than the original white one. So there!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #117
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I do have an original Coleco football game. It looks nicer then the one pictured here.
yeah that's the mattel version Electronic Quaterback was the jam

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco...uarterback.jpg

Handheld museum coming soon the Kindle, just kidding just kidding everyone
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #118
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Jon, I can only respond to what you write, not to what you imagine you mean. You said the kindle isn't a good fit for library books. If you don't qualify that statement, it's wrong, because it can be a great fit.
I'm not arguing that if library books and other ADE ePubs are one's primary need, then for several reason Kindle may not be a good fit. It very well may not be.
But it is for many of us.
Strictly speaking, not that I would have quibbled if you didn't bring it up, you can't do library books on Nook "as is" either, if that was indeed all we are talking about, as you need to download the ADE software separately. But it is officially supported, which I think is more to the point.

Try your own advice on not giving false information. Like this:
"And to be honest, as of right now, an iPad is the best overall device for reading eBooks."

To be honest, bull.
iPad, is a heavy, overpriced, battery-sucking, glaring, back-lit beast.
If the multiple apps overcome all that for YOU, swell, but how about acknowledging all those reason why another device...ANY other device... MAY be MUCH better for reading ebooks.

And another thing....I think the green Football II (pictured, that _I_ had) looks nicer than the original white one. So there!
I dont' think you get what he's saying the ipad is the best, which is true for overall buying from anywhere, think about it. nook app for BN, kindle app for Amazon, google ereader app, google books ( I think) ePub books.
as far the weight, the lcd and the overall functinality and features are debatable about it being the best but in terms of being able to buy basically anywhere, it's in the lead because of the nook app and kindle app.

also please Kindle owners cut the BS, you have to strip the DRM off of Library books that do not support mobi(which is basically the majority of them) please stop mis informing and misleading potential buyers that the Kindle works just fine with library books, not every does know how to strip and not everyone wants to strip drm off of books. It's very misleading and in fact getting frustrating.

Instead of misleading people of the work around, channel that energy to put pressure on Amazon to support ADE(ePub)

Last edited by boswd; 12-14-2010 at 12:58 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #119
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I dont' think you get what he's saying the ipad is the best, which is true for overall buying from anywhere, think about it. nook app for BN, kindle app for Amazon, google ereader app, google books ( I think) ePub books.
as far the weight, the lcd and the overall functionality and features are debatable about it being the best but in terms of being able to buy basically anywhere, it's in the lead because of the nook app and kindle app.
I think I know what he meant, but others might put credence in what he actually said ("iPad is the best overall device for reading eBooks.") which is simply not true. Even if such a thing were POSSIBLE to be true for everyone.
And even regarding what you say he meant, I don't think it's true. Those same apps are available free for cheaper, lighter, Android or even PC tablets.

Quote:
also please Kindle owners cut the BS, you have to strip the DRM off of Library books that do not support mobi(which is basically the majority of them) please stop mis informing and misleading potential buyers that the Kindle works just fine with library books, not every does know how to strip and not everyone wants to strip drm off of books. It's very misleading and in fact getting frustrating.
There is nothing BS, misinforming, or misleading about it. No one is claiming it's supported, or the best choice for everyone, or even a genuine non-issue. In fact, I would probably post to correct someone who implied it was.
I suspect people will go on mentioning it whenever the BS misinforming misleading lies about it not being possible are posted.

Quote:
channel that energy to put pressure on Amazon to support ADE(ePub)
I'm with you. That is, after all, part of my master plan.

So when the other folks stop lying about it being impossible (or even particularly difficult) and instead give the correct info about the options and restrictions, then I'll bet they won't be challenged.

Personally, I don't think I've ever responded to challenge anyone who said something like "You can't do library books on kindle unless...."

Last edited by ApK; 12-14-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #120
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

Instead of misleading people of the work around, channel that energy to put pressure on Amazon to support ADE(ePub)
You don't need to be rude or aggressive in order to make a point. And the fact is that we, Kindle users, can read and buy from other stores; we don't need to remove any DRM protection when doing it. It is not misleading, it is a fact.

People have mentioned the bookstores tons of time here, even people who own Nook or Sony ereaders. Google it, search via forum, and you'll see.

If you don't like the Kindle, fine. If you own another reader, fine! But please don't make assumptions or take postures that do not adhere to reality.

Tags
canada, kindle 3, kobo, nook, sony prs-650