Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
srakrn
srakrn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Exclamation Removing internal SD card to install Android?

Hello, anyone can guide me where is Kobo Touch's internal SD card?

I've removed Kobo's back cover, and I really have no idea how to remove the SD card inside

Also, some websites figure out that some hacks let users install Android without removing internal SD card, but I can't see there is any method, as the instructions on this page said that it's a must to remove internal SD.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20141123_162511.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	891.0 KB
ID:	131455  
srakrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Cesco
Connoisseur
Cesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipseCesco can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura 2-Aura H2O-K1-LibraH2O
From what I can see, your model has the soldered memory, so you can not remove it.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, that looks like the original N905 version. These have fixed internal memory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
srakrn
srakrn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you, Cesco and davidfor!

So, can I install Android on my Kobo?
srakrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srakrn View Post
Thank you, Cesco and davidfor!

So, can I install Android on my Kobo?
Nope!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
You can add a dual boot, so you can boot from an external sd card. I succesfull done it with my Glo, I don't know if it's possible with Touch.
Or you can simply install Android on the internal sd card and, if you want to turn back, restore the previous image. The installation process do a backup of the original card.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 11-24-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
You can add a dual boot, so you can boot from an external sd card. I succesfull done it with my Glo, I don't know if it's possible with Touch.
Or you can simply install Android on the internal sd card and, if you want to turn back, restore the previous image. The installation process do a backup of the original card.
Try to understand that the original Touch has NO internal SD card and had been said many times while yes you can backup the internal flash based storage too your heart as content there is NO way to restore it.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

You can restore it from Android.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But what if Android will not boot? Please stop being so obtuse here. Or better still get an original Touch yourself and show us how well recovery works.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Most of the people I've seen trying to restore a device have had to do so when it wouldn't boot. Without the internal uSD card, it's going to be hard to restore a device that doesn't boot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

srakrn asked if he *can* install Android, and yes, he can. Is it completely safe? No it's not, but I installed a dual boot and I returned back to the original image without problems, and many people did so.

Anyone of our homemade hacks and modifications are prone to fatal errors. Some times ago a KoboLauncher app freezed my poor little Kobo and I had to wait the battery discharge. What do you want, a life assurance?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
srakrn asked if he *can* install Android, and yes, he can. Is it completely safe? No it's not, but I installed a dual boot and I returned back to the original image without problems, and many people did so.

Anyone of our homemade hacks and modifications are prone to fatal errors. Some times ago a KoboLauncher app freezed my poor little Kobo and I had to wait the battery discharge. What do you want, a life assurance?
No, I don't expect insurance. What I do expect is to ensure that someone is aware of the risks they are taking beforehand. In this case, the risk being that since neither the Touch N905 or the Aura have a removeable, externally writable uSD card for internal storage, you take the risk of having a rather expensive paperweight if anything goes wrong. IMHO, this makes them a poor choice for installing Android.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Actually one can install anything you want. Hey I can copy a windows image onto it if I want.

Now whether it works is a different question.

Seriously though, there have been NO posts of installs (successful or not) on the original Touch or Aura.

On basis of that alone I would say one can not install it on an original Touch.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Will you be willing to buy the OP a new Kobo Reader if he bricks the one he has based on your advice?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #15
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Mh, excuse me, I missed out the point that he has a N905 Touch. No, no one uploaded a working image for that model. On the contrary, I know that an user reported that he bricked his N905 trying to flash the andorid for Touch image. So no, the only way he can use it is to buy another Kobo with an internal SD card or see if it can restore the image using a jtag cable.