Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #19546
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Back to Christie now, with "Evil Under the Sun".

Harry, are you reading these books in chronological order?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #19547
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Started reading The Law of Dreams by Peter Behrens. I almost never give up on a book before I've finished it, but a third of the way in, I was not enjoying it. Too overwrought I may return to the book at a later stage but did not feel like slogging through it, so I moved onto Gallows View by Peter Robinson. I have read about ten books in the DCI Banks series, but not all of them, so I decided to start from the beginning. Gallows View is the first one. Liking it so far.
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #19548
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Harry, are you reading these books in chronological order?
Yes, Christie is my current "project"; I'm reading all her books (except her romance books) in order, alternating them with more general reading. "Evil Under the Sun" is, I believe, her 37th book, so I'm roughly half-way through. Reading them systematically in order you pick up on all sorts of repeated characters and references to earlier books that you don't spot when you read them randomly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #19549
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredScribe View Post
I moved onto Gallows View by Peter Robinson. I have read about ten books in the DCI Banks series, but not all of them, so I decided to start from the beginning. Gallows View is the first one. Liking it so far.
One of my favourite series. Peter Robinson is one of the few authors on my "automatic buy" list. It's a very good idea to read the series in order, because there's a lot of ongoing character development.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #19550
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
One of my favourite series. Peter Robinson is one of the few authors on my "automatic buy" list. It's a very good idea to read the series in order, because there's a lot of ongoing character development.
Yes, I love the books I have read, but it was never really in order and was surprised about a few facts that had changed in Banks' life. Really looking forward to reading the whole series. The books are also on my "automatic buy" list. It's a very exclusive list
CharredScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #19551
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Yes, Christie is my current "project"; I'm reading all her books (except her romance books) in order, alternating them with more general reading. "Evil Under the Sun" is, I believe, her 37th book, so I'm roughly half-way through. Reading them systematically in order you pick up on all sorts of repeated characters and references to earlier books that you don't spot when you read them randomly.

I've started reading Christie's novels a few months ago. I read the first four in the "Hercule Poirot" mysteries. I'm planning to read all of them and then move to the "Miss Marple" books and "Tommy and Tuppence". And I agree about reading them in order because of the repeated references, I remember the ones I read referred to something that happened in another book.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #19552
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Urn Burial and as always really enjoyed the continuing adventures of Phryne Fisher. Now on to Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot #23) by Agatha Christie.
I just completed reading Evil Under the Sun. It was a great read and it was certainly a lot different than the 1982 movie! Next I'll be reading Deadlock (V.I. Warshawski #2) by Sara Paretsky.

Last edited by alansplace; 04-12-2014 at 10:58 PM.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 AM   #19553
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Haven't posted here for an age. I've been powering through dozens of fantastic books, but I'll just note that I just finished Available Dark by Elizabeth Hand.

Loved it.

It's the sequel to Generation Loss which I also loved.

If you like dark and disturbed mysteries set in bleak environments and an anti-hero to match, put both of these on your TBR list.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 AM   #19554
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now for a Baen book purchased from Kobo with a coupon: Hard Magic by Larry Correira. I really liked his Monster Hunter series, with its mix of magic and the everyday. This also looks like a good read.
And it was a good read. Very enjoyable. If you liked his Monster Hunter stuff, you'll like this, provided you don't hate alternate history. And I've just noticed that that was my 70th book for the year.

And also that I've read all the books I've bought this month so far. Time for an older purchase. In fact, my oldest unread:

The Toymaker (& other stories) by Raymond F Jones, a fictionwise buy from June 2004, first published 1951.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-13-2014 at 03:44 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #19555
Gazella
Wizard

Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Haven't posted here for an age. I've been powering through dozens of fantastic books, but I'll just note that I just finished Available Dark by Elizabeth Hand.

Loved it.

It's the sequel to Generation Loss which I also loved.

If you like dark and disturbed mysteries set in bleak environments and an anti-hero to match, put both of these on your TBR list.

Sounds amazing. Thank you for the recommendation.

-----------

Currently reading the fifth book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #19556
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished up The Liveship Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It was very good but before I jump back into Fitz and the Fool and I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #19557
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
Oh, I liked that one a lot. I hope you enjoy it too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #19558
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've taken a short break from "Evil Under the Sun" to spend an hour reading "One Coast To Another: Following Wainwright from St Bees to Robin Hood's Bay" by Andrew Bowden; a travelogue recounting his experiences walking the "Coast to Coast" path which runs for 200 miles from one side of Northern England to the other. I'm planning on doing the walk myself next year, so want to read as much as I can about it in advance.

I enjoyed the book, but it epitomises my frustration with so many self-published books: it's full of grammatical errors ("there" instead of "their", "it's" instead of "its", etc), which I find REALLY annoying. A good read, but would it really have been so very hard to get these things right?

Back to "Evil Under the Sun", which I'm enjoying a great deal.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #19559
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently listening to White Night by Jim Butcher and reading Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster.

I had to set aside A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge temporarily because of chronic interruptions. I just can't start and stop this book. I need say 3 hours of uninterrupted time at a time to embed the threads of the plot. It's a good story so far though.

I'll be reading Agatha Christie's Endless Night soon as it is this month's selection for the British mystery group at Goodreads. Maybe I'll try an Agatha marathon late this year. My library has 57 of the books. Not all of them, obviously, but a fair number to get a good marathon going, don't you think?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #19560
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next I'm going to imitate pdurrant and read my oldest purchased title in my TBR pile. This would be The Fury by Alexander Gordon Smith bought April 2012 from Kobo.
The author introduced supernatural elements. As I don't read such books I abandoned this. The blurb made no mention of this instead calling it a YA dystopian.

Oh well, on to the next oldest. The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon also bought from Kobo in 2012. At 656 pages this one will take me a while. I really enjoyed the first in the series Speaks the Nightbird. Early 18th century murder mystery.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote