Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Calibre rocks but... what if i change device?

Hi sold my Sony PRS 505 to a friend... because i'm buying iliad book edition. I used calibre like my bible software and i cannot imagine my sony reader without it.
Now with my collection of books, almost everything with lrf format, but also some epubs... i dont know if better to convert everything to epub or print to pdf...

Also, i dont know how to convert from lrf-only book to epub because calibre gives me error...

What's your experience with changing device?
What about using calibre for different devices (im interested in iliad obviously

let us know!

Paolo
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentium View Post
Now with my collection of books, almost everything with lrf format, but also some epubs... i dont know if better to convert everything to epub or print to pdf...
What format did you buy the ebooks in that you converted to LRF? If they are lit than you can use lit2mobi.exe (from mobiperl) to convert them to mobi for your iLiad.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Hi sold my Sony PRS 505 to a friend... because i'm buying iliad book edition. I used calibre like my bible software and i cannot imagine my sony reader without it.

Also, i dont know how to convert from lrf-only book to epub because calibre gives me error...

What's your experience with changing device?
What about using calibre for different devices (im interested in iliad obviously

let us know!

Paolo
Unfortunately, lrf2html is not a developer priority for Calibre. However there is a java-based tool that may work for some of your books, LRFTools. It still has some rough edges, but it's still useful and under active development.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
There is also ABC converter sony edition if you are like me and need a GUI, it converts LRFs to lit, PDF etc.
The only problem so far is that it doesn't seem to preserve author/title information.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Unfortunately, lrf2html is not a developer priority for Calibre. However there is a java-based tool that may work for some of your books, LRFTools. It still has some rough edges, but it's still useful and under active development.
Thank you... i have a mac, so java software is good software
I will convert .lit files using calibre to .epub and only .lrf files with this lrfTools.
Still curious to see if it is better .epub format with Iliad or .mob. What do you think?
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Still curious to see if it is better .epub format with Iliad or .mob.
Both ePub and MOBI are supported by FBReader, but FBReader's ePub support is not great (no CSS and does not read the TOC). The iLiad comes with a Java-based MobiPocket Reader too, but I always use FBReader for DRM-free MOBI.

For LIT I suggest you convert directly to MOBI, or for FBReader just stay as an OEB ebook. So, for FBReader, explode the LIT to OEB using Calibre or ConvertLIT then make a ZIP and rename it .oebzip. To get a MOBI on a Mac you probably need to use MobiPerl on the DRM-free LIT or OEB.

I use FBReader's internal library, but if you use the contentlister for navigation there is a utility that can handle a DRM-free LIT directly by running it through ConvertLIT on the iLiad and then passing the result to FBReader. I find forming the .oebzip off line easier and consistent with the FBReader's internal library.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thank you... i have a mac, so java software is good software
I'm pretty sure there is a jvm for mac, and I'm pretty sure the JRE and JDK are included in OS X.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
There is also ABC converter sony edition if you are like me and need a GUI, it converts LRFs to lit, PDF etc.
The only problem so far is that it doesn't seem to preserve author/title information.
It also doesn't preserve images, italics, bold, etc. And according another thread, doesn't always preserve the text either. It's a nasty program overall. The author told me he was going to be updating it to do a full proper conversion and that was not long after it came out. It's been long enough that I don't think we'll ever get the promised update.

If you don't want a to have a headache converting, stay away from this one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote