Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #106
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
It has just occurred to me: have I accidentally turned my Kobo Aura HD device into a weapon of mass destruction of eyesight, i.e. perhaps that black tape was covering a strong source of IR radiation and by removing it I am now shooting an IR beam straight into my eyes (through the plastic)?

How would I detect IR radiation? Do you think my skin would be sensitive enough to feel it? Or at that intensity it would have to be so strong that a mere look at it would blind me, even though I won't actually "see" what blinded me, as it is not in the visible octave for humans?

I remember that on green lasers there is a special filter installed for this specific purpose --- to filter out harmful IR radiation. Could this black tape possibly serve a similar purpose in Aura HD? Maybe I should buy one of those IR security cameras and check.

Markismus, I take it you also removed the entire black tape from your device. Assuming you are using this device for reading, did you notice something like going a bit... err.. blind, recently?
The outer plastic layer of the bezel and case is not transparent to IR, just the piece on the inside of the bezel.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #107
Moshiko
Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo touch
Hi

Before i tried to make the image i have restored the device to factory reset. powered the device off and took the micro SD to the pc for making the image i run the image creator program and after selecting the image destination and pressing the "Create Image" button, i got an error message that says: "Unable to obtain a lock on the volume on the removable device. Please ensure all open files on the device have been closed"

What should I do ?

Please help

Moshiko
Moshiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #108
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiko View Post
Hi

Before i tried to make the image i have restored the device to factory reset. powered the device off and took the micro SD to the pc for making the image i run the image creator program and after selecting the image destination and pressing the "Create Image" button, i got an error message that says: "Unable to obtain a lock on the volume on the removable device. Please ensure all open files on the device have been closed"

What should I do ?

Please help

Moshiko
You probably have explorer or some other program still looking at the sd card.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #109
Moshiko
Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Moshiko knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I closed all explorer windows, error stays the same

Sorry
Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #110
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just to make sure.
  • You are using the program "Flash Drive Image Creator".
  • The Removable Device setting lists the driver letter for the SD Card.
  • The Image Destination points to a location on your hard drive
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #111
Moshiko

All correct
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #112
Moshiko

Just to correct the program is called: "USB Duplicator Image Creator" and not Flash
Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #113
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Are you running it with administrator privileges?

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #114
Moshiko

YES

In the meantime i have downloaded a a program called "USB Image Tool" from http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

This one did not scream for errors i have made a backup image and testing now.. will no if it works in few minutes

Moshiko
Old 08-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #115
Moshiko

WoW!!!

It worked now, i coppied the image into a new SanDisk 8G class 10 and it works.

Now i can safely try to install the XCsoar while my original SD lies safley for future rest if needed

Thanks Guys

Moshiko
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #116
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshiko View Post
WoW!!!

It worked now, i coppied the image into a new SanDisk 8G class 10 and it works.

Now i can safely try to install the XCsoar while my original SD lies safley for future rest if needed

Thanks Guys

Moshiko
Well Looks like you got this sorted out. PeterT and Ken Maltby are preety good at sourcing solutions. So Well done.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #117
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Oddball question, perhaps...

I modded my Glo a while back, and have noticed that the top left corner of the case (when looking at the screen) is now a little "mushy" - that is, it's not a firm, tight fit and the case will squeak a little if I squeeze it. In just the right light, I can see where there's a seam that's not quite flush. Looking at the back, the affected area is roughly the down-pointing triangle at the top right.

I should note that I've had no changes in function; the IR still works and the light's fine. However, the logo on the back is showing significant signs of wear, to the point that if buying a replacement back is an option, I wouldn't mind doing that. I've also noticed that there seems to be a little "give" on that corner of the motherboard, but not enough to be responsible for what I'm noticing.

Has anyone else had this happen, and if so, do you know how to fix it?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #118
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Same with mine on the upper left corner. Some of the plastic grips were broken. Only the corner one is relevant, since the other one has neighboring grips keeping the back to the front. I also notice some squeaking of the casing sometimes.

The only fix I can think of is glue. But that will become a problem if I have to open it up again.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #119
Thok
Thok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you, Gergith!

Gergith, your how-to worked like a charm.

I followed your instructions for upgrading step by step, only difference was doing it on a Linux system. I replaced the 4GB µSD by a 16 GB Class 10 one.

What happened during the first start was that the blue light came up at boot, but nothing further happened, and I was concerned I had bricked it by destroying something sensitive.

I plugged it to my laptop, it booted properly and the screen came up with a 'found computer' notice, connected with it, and charged the battery. From then on, it worked normally again. Maybe the battery was just low, so I would recommend doing that with a fully charged reader.

Another point is that the 16GB class 10 card is much slower than the 4 GB card, which initially I thought was due to the larger size. Now I read in the forum that class 4 cards have smaller block writes (As DNSB writes in the 'SD Card Performance - some discussions and info' articles on the List of Tweaks / Hacks / Mods.. Apparently this is due to the fact that the class 10 cards are optimised for cameras with larger files to be stored.

I ordered a 32 GB class 4 µSD card now and will test how that that one works.

Thank you very much again, Gergith

T
Thok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #120
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
FWIW, on Win7 the USB disk image programs failed for me, but DiskInternals Linux Reader made an image just fine. Other than that hiccup, your instructions have been great.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard