Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Diesel and geographic restrctions

Well, it is getting worse. I tried to pre-order the forthcoming book in the Lost Fleet series to no avail.

I purchased the last book this time last year with no issues and now I am barred from purchase. Penguin is the publisher of The Lost Fleet series.

So how do I get the book? Perhaps I can purchase it from Fictionwise as an EPUB....or failing that turn to the darknet.

Thanks Diesel....not....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
drplokta
drplokta began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Well, it is getting worse. I tried to pre-order the forthcoming book in the Lost Fleet series to no avail.

I purchased the last book this time last year with no issues and now I am barred from purchase. Penguin is the publisher of The Lost Fleet series.

So how do I get the book? Perhaps I can purchase it from Fictionwise as an EPUB....or failing that turn to the darknet.

Thanks Diesel....not....
That should be "Thanks Penguin....not....". Diesel have no control over which books have geographic restrictions, but Penguin could have paid more to buy world rights instead of North American rights.
drplokta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't blame Diesel - blame the publisher; they are the ones who require a bookseller to enforce geographical restrictions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
And the authors, who sign the contracts, of course.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Truth in both posts. Yet I purchased the last book this time last year. Has GR been so rapidly enforced that series are so disrupted?

I want to buy the book. Ready to throw the debit card at it and I cannot. So I must now look at alternatives I guess. I have a VPN but still no go.
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I actually mentioned that on teleread. I was chopped off mid-series in more than one case.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

The other parties complicit in this that also deserves brickbats, given it is their actual job to handle deals are the agents.

They deserve more criticism than they have obtained so far.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
sabredog

Hopefully Fictionwise will list it for pre-order and I will try again to purchase the book.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #9
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
The other parties complicit in this that also deserves brickbats, given it is their actual job to handle deals are the agents.

They deserve more criticism than they have obtained so far.
Very true. If you are going to sell books to international customers then one would expect that they might well be more vocal about this issue in the interests of their rapidly annoyed customers who then go elsewhere, legitimate or not, to obtain the book they wished to buy.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Very true. If you are going to sell books to international customers then one would expect that they might well be more vocal about this issue in the interests of their rapidly annoyed customers who then go elsewhere, legitimate or not, to obtain the book they wished to buy.
Or as a minimum specify on the page that the book is only available to certain countries. I wont mention the ebook seller, but I went through an entire process of registering, CC details etc only to be presented with a message when I clicked "Confirm" that the ebook was only available to US and Canada residence.

On the upside I have reduced my list of ebook sellers to buy from by one.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #11
jolfc
Enthusiast
jolfc began at the beginning.

Device: nook glow light
dont bet on fictionwise i have tried to get a penguin book on bob,diseal,fictionwise,powells and a couple more all got the silly restrictions by the publisher and one title i bought and downloaded at bob is now restricted?i am trying to find someone in the u.s.a who can get me $10 of sony gift card and hopefully i can get it at the sony store i have done that before with gift cards i only want $10 then if it wont work not to much money wasted.i am in the u.k.
jolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #12
sabredog

I did manage to get the latest Starfist book from Diesel which was GR'ed at Fictionwise so it seems to be a bit of a potluck situation.

I tried via Paypal but Diesel seems to be checking country of origin via that as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #13
jolfc
Enthusiast
jolfc began at the beginning.

Device: nook glow light
yep.i tried the old paypal option got all the way through transaction then got told restrictions so i could not have it!!!!!
jolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
And they wonder what pushes people towards piracy

I'm not saying this is an excuse good enough to turn to the dark side, but it is certainly not sending the right message to the fence-sitters.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Yeah, the only one left probably where you can actually get some books of the DRM new flavour, is.... Amazon. Just a tad ironic.