Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
No, that's fictionwise, and they do not require DRM. Ereads prefers DRM-free books, and it's only where required that they add the DRM. Such as for Mobipocket (the service, not the format) and Sony.

Sorry, I may have been unclear. I meant mobipocket.com when I said mobipocket earlier.
Gotcha. So indeed Amazon/Mobipocket is mandating DRM even when the publisher doesn't desire it.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So according to Cory Doctorow, it is Amazon that insists that eBooks and audio books be laden with DRM even if the publishers do not want such.
[/url].
Well, Jeff Bezos was quoted in an interview saying that Amazon is DRM agnostic and that they left that up to the publishers. If quoted accurately, I think he was being disingenuous, because clearly Amazon requires DRM for most of the books, even if it's indirectly through mobipocket.com.

Even though Amazon makes a big sales point of their mp3 downloads being DRM-free.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #18
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Gotcha. So indeed Amazon/Mobipocket is mandating DRM even when the publisher doesn't desire it.
Correct.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Well, Jeff Bezos was quoted in an interview saying that Amazon is DRM agnostic and that they left that up to the publishers. If quoted accurately, I think he was being disingenuous, because clearly Amazon requires DRM for most of the books, even if it's indirectly through mobipocket.com.

Even though Amazon makes a big sales point of their mp3 downloads being DRM-free.
I have to admit I'd just assumed their music stance applied to ebooks and they'd eliminate DRM if they could. I wonder if Mobipocket gets any royalty off of the encryption for Amazon ebooks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #20
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I have to admit I'd just assumed their music stance applied to ebooks and they'd eliminate DRM if they could.
Differences being that they entered the MP3 world in a much more mature state, against a leading competitor that was using DRM and selling their own hardware. In ebooks, Amazon is the ones selling the hardware and hoping to gain/maintain the leading position in a less mature market.

I'd like to believe Bezos, but actions haven't matched his words, at least to this point. We shall see...

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-11-2009 at 12:55 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #21
anne fleming
anne fleming began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
ADA Issues?

What's interesting to me, is this kind of tech was originally developed for the blind - to give disabled people access to written material. Clearly, this isn't the way Amazon is marketing the tool, but I think they could make an argument that their tech is much closer to a translation for the sight-impaired, than it is a dramatization like that intended in an audiobook format. Amazon might argue that using DRM to block this kind of tech might imperil access to the disabled accross all kinds of written reasources.
anne fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do blind people have a "right" to use written material? Obviously it's nice if they can do, but it's not a "right", is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #23
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Another example of why copyright is a poor idea and how people try to use it by going to dictatorial lengths to control content.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #24
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do blind people have a "right" to use written material? Obviously it's nice if they can do, but it's not a "right", is it?
It's not about user rights. It's about Amazon's right to make a device with a feature that might actually increase demand among consumers.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #25
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually here in the US there is a law called American with Disabilities Act which gives quite a few rights to blind people among others, and while its precise legal reach is unclear, it is the basis of the one DMCA exception related to Text to Speech and shifting drm format

But the general issue is that if publishers and the author's guild have to go to technicalities - and it's unclear to me if they even have a case since as various people pointed out, having TTS is not essentially different from reading a book aloud - puts them on a very dangerous path when they like the music industry depend essentially on people's goodwill.

I do not care that much about music in general, so the fact that the big records have been behaving so badly is for me "another bunch of stupid, dumb, evil ***, let them get what they have coming", but I will be saddened if I see the publishers following them in "dumb, stupid, evil **" territory

Last edited by Liviu_5; 02-11-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #26
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Exclamation Text to Speach

Regarding all the text to speech considerations.

I am pretty sure that (at least within the US courts) recent decisions favoring the rights of the handicapped will continue to trump copyright concerns where there is a conflict.

Publishers and others will be able to oppose text to speech only until the first time it goes to court with someone who is mostly blind or badly dyslexic - and then this contention will be squashed.

This has been the trend for the last fifteen years or so and I see it as pretty much a done deal. I would imagine Amazon's legal team saw it the same way.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #27
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I wonder if Amazon has negotiated seperate rights for this feature. If not Mr. Aiken may have a point.
Mr. Aiken has a very valid point. In many cases, even the publisher does not have the subsidiary rights to release audio versions.

As for the question about how stupid can publishers and authors be regarding this, the real question is how arrogant can Amazon be? Authors and publishers negotiate specific rights -- be they electronic, print, audio, geographical, whatever. The author owns the rights to all forms of his/her work until the author gives some of them up as a result of contract. Absent specific contractual rights, Amazon is not entitled to distribute audio versions of content created by someone else.

I've never understood why some people think they have an absolute right to whatever they want whenever they want it and however they want it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So according to Cory Doctorow, it is Amazon that insists that eBooks and audio books be laden with DRM even if the publishers do not want such.
And the Amazon contract I am familiar with supports Cory Doctorow.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #29
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne fleming View Post
What's interesting to me, is this kind of tech was originally developed for the blind - to give disabled people access to written material. Clearly, this isn't the way Amazon is marketing the tool, but I think they could make an argument that their tech is much closer to a translation for the sight-impaired, than it is a dramatization like that intended in an audiobook format. Amazon might argue that using DRM to block this kind of tech might imperil access to the disabled accross all kinds of written reasources.
There is a specific exemption for disabled access, an exemption no publisher or author I know of disputes or questions. The difference is Amazon's touting this as a feature of the Kindle for nondisabled users and that the Kindle is not a device specifically for the disabled market. All I can say is that if I were still practicing law, I'd love to represent the Author's Guild on this one.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #30
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I find it absurd, plain nonsense, to try limit the right or the cability to read aloud a text legally acquired, as long as we are talking about personal use. It's like saying you cannot use a magnifying glass to read a book or view an art print, it's like forbidding the use of a dictionary to look up difficult or foreign words, it's like disabling the "pause" button in a video or the volume in a music recording.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote