Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
automatically delete old news from Kindle?

Is it possible to create or edit a news recipe to automatically remove downloads older than a set date? In other words, set the recipe to delete yesterday's newspaper (from the Kindle) when it syncs today's paper to the Kindle.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
buckcs
buckcs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The easiest way to automatically get rid of yesterday's feed is to change your recipe to include:

Code:
timefmt = ''
(two single quotes) which stops Calibre putting the date in the title. When the feed gets received each day the Kindle 3 automatically archives yesterday's to "Periodicals: Back Issues". Seven issues are retained in this folder before the oldest gets deleted.
buckcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckcs View Post
The easiest way to automatically get rid of yesterday's feed is to change your recipe to include:

Code:
timefmt = ''
(two single quotes) which stops Calibre putting the date in the title. When the feed gets received each day the Kindle 3 automatically archives yesterday's to "Periodicals: Back Issues". Seven issues are retained in this folder before the oldest gets deleted.
Thanks, buckcs, that helps a lot.
A suggestion to Kovid- Zune (yes... I have two, and they are tremendous!) software has an excellent paradigm for sync'ing podcasts, where you set the number of most recent episodes to keep on the device. When you sync, the new episodes are added, and those that exceed the limit are automatically removed. This would make a lot of sense for news sync, as a setting vs. a recipe tweak.

Last edited by NSILMike; 09-09-2011 at 08:44 PM.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
ekanters
ekanters began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have tried the timefmt = '' in the recipe. The date is now gone but I still get 2 files on my kindle Touch. Any idea's anyone how only the newest version is retained?

Regards.
ekanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
hegi
Enthusiast
hegi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 & Kindle PW 3G
Question Move old News automatically to "Periodicals: Back Issues" / News sent by email

Hey folks,

could it be that this way of the kindle moving older issues to the "back issues" section works only, when syncing via USB?

I'm fetching my news automatically from my server-account and send them by email to my Kindle.

I've fiddled about with a number of ideas regarding this issue, including the timefmt setting, custom_title and conversion_options.

Havn't found a neat way that works yet.

In theory I do not even need the back issues stuff, the idea is the same as in NSILMike's original post: How to clean-up my Kindle automagically, if I send several news-items by daily mail.

Any hints are welcome!

Hegi.
hegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
amazon automatically converts news files sent by email to personal documents, so yes, archiving will only work for files sent by USB, at least, until Amazon discovers that hole and plugs it as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
hegi
Enthusiast
hegi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 & Kindle PW 3G
Kovid,

am I right to imply, that this means, even syncing to calibre via USB at a later stage won't fix this issue by moving/deleting the old files, as the news are converted to pdocs by amazon?

Is there a function in calibre (or a feature to come?) that might help getting rid of these old files upon USB-sync?

Thanks

Hegi
hegi is offline   Reply With Quote