Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
tequila0341
Enthusiast
tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.tequila0341 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kobo Glo HD
Wanted: Your Best Westerns

No, not your favorite budget hotel chain ... but your favorite books set in the Old West (and accessible for Kindle)!

Yes, I just saw True Grit, one of the better movies of the the last year or two, and the fiancee and I have been playing way too much Fallout: New Vegas, a postapocalyptic RPG set in Nevada. So I'm definitely in the mood for tales of gunslinging in the desert, preferably of the gritty or darkly comic variety.

I've read Elmore Leonard's Valdez is Coming, which I enjoyed, and his Hombre, which I didn't. I loved McCarthy's Blood Meridian, which is not so much a Western as a brooding and beautiful thunderhead of a book.

So what are your favorite Westerns in ebook format?

Last edited by tequila0341; 12-29-2010 at 09:15 AM.
tequila0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Zane Grey's _The Lone Star Ranger_ (available here on mobileread) is very cool.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Robert B. Parker's series starring the characters Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch (Appaloosa).
And James D. Best's Steve Dancy novels - starts with The Shopkeeper.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I enjoyed a lot of Louis L'amour's books, especially the Sackett novels. My older brother had a huge collection of L'amour paperbacks when I was young, and I read most of them over the years.

Zane Gray's Riders of the Purple Sage.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
tequila, the first western was Owen Wister's The Virginian. I recommend that you start with that one if you haven't read it already.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Agree with Owen Wister's "The Virginian". Anything by Zane Grey or Louis L'amour.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
So happens I'm reading Lonesome Dove at the moment. I was somewhat expecting a flowery epic from a thousand page novel that won the Pulitzer, but it's actually rather gritty and masculine. It's certainly no Blood Meridian, but not much is.

And even at 900+ pages it won't take up as much time as Fallout NV, ha. Darn game took over my life.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Have Gun Will Play by Camille Laguire is a Maverick type western with a bit of humour/mystery/whodunnit in it.

Also I used to have and read a lot of J T Edsons "Dusty Fog and the Floating Outfit " series they are great books
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
One of the pioneering writers of Westerns (in addition to Zane Grey, already mentioned) is William MacLeod Raine.

MobileReference has a selection of his novels available, located here, for only $3.19 ---

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-West...3813062&sr=1-3

There is also this collection, which is also available from Amazon, for $1.99, located here:

http://www.amazon.com/William-Maveri...3812843&sr=1-1

The collection includes 21 novels.

Of the two collections, MobileReference is the better choice - and these omnibus volumes are always better presented than the competition - although it's a little higher in price.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-31-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Lonesome Dove is great, and several of Larry McMurtry's other westerns are available as ebooks.
Some of Elmore Leonard's westerns are in ebook form.
True Grit by Charles Portis is one of my favorites but it currently can't be found as a legitimate ebook.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Westerns for the kindle on Inkmesh:

http://inkmesh.com/search/?dv=2&star...terns%22&ct=eb
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One of the pioneering writers of Westerns (in addition to Zane Grey, already mentioned) is William MacLeod Raine.

MobileReference has a selection of his novels available, located here, for only $3.19 ---

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-West...3813062&sr=1-3

There is also this collection, which is also available from Amazon, for $1.99, located here:

http://www.amazon.com/William-Maveri...3812843&sr=1-1

The collection includes 21 novels.

Of the two collections, MobileReference is the better choice - and these omnibus volumes are always better presented than the competition - although it's a little higher in price.

Don
There are also quite a few right here on MobileRead for the low, low price of $0.00.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I recall really liking Jack Schaefer's Shane when I was a kid. Hardly remember anything about it though.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
There are two action-packed westerns in the MR library by Clifton Adams: The Desperado and A Noose for the Desperado
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Lonesome Dove is one of my favorite novels!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote