Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
troutyluc
Enthusiast
troutyluc began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
How to transfer delicious account to Sony ebook reader

Any idea how I can transfer my delicious web links to the Sony ebook reader? I noticed that it is not possible to add your feeds in the Sony software? Are there tools for doing that? Mobipocket does it very well but the Cybook reader is trash....
troutyluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutyluc View Post
Any idea how I can transfer my delicious web links to the Sony ebook reader? I noticed that it is not possible to add your feeds in the Sony software? Are there tools for doing that? Mobipocket does it very well but the Cybook reader is trash....
Export your bookmakes to an HTML file. Then you can convert the HTML for the Sony. There are several methods... see the Wiki at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS5...ed_Conversions

Also, I think calibre allows you to get web content to lrf, I'm not sure if it supports RSS feeds though. Also, see above wiki topic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What would you do with a document containing web links? You can't then use them to surf the net.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I'm working on the RSS features of Feedbooks this month. I've already improved the PDF output speed and added Mobipocket and ePub support too.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Export your bookmakes to an HTML file. Then you can convert the HTML for the Sony. There are several methods... see the Wiki at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS5...ed_Conversions

Also, I think calibre allows you to get web content to lrf, I'm not sure if it supports RSS feeds though. Also, see above wiki topic.

BOb
It does.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It does.
Cool... didn't want to misspeak. I just got an iMac for birthday/fathersday gift and I'm looking forward to trying calibre on it. Although I'm not quite sure how I will buy LIT files. Then again, I might just sell my Sony 500 and buy a second Kindle.

BOB
Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
troutyluc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Cool... didn't want to misspeak. I just got an iMac for birthday/fathersday gift and I'm looking forward to trying calibre on it. Although I'm not quite sure how I will buy LIT files. Then again, I might just sell my Sony 500 and buy a second Kindle.

BOB
Can you transfer any rss feed you wish to the Kindle? Or are you limited to what is available on Amazon?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
troutyluc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What would you do with a document containing web links? You can't then use them to surf the net.
On the Mobipocket software you can download any rss feed you wish. It then gets transfered with the usb cable directly to the Cybook.

I dont see this being easily done with the Kindle nor the Sony ebook reader.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Can you transfer any rss feed you wish to the Kindle? Or are you limited to what is available on Amazon?
Via whispernet you can only do those supported by Amazon. However, via the Mobipocket software you can pretty much pull any RSS feed... but then you have to manually sync to your Kindle via USB.

Get version 6.0 it works best with the Kindle. If you search the forum you should find a link to it.

BOb
Old 06-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
On the Mobipocket software you can download any rss feed you wish. It then gets transfered with the usb cable directly to the Cybook.

Calibre does it and much better, for the SONY reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:

Works exactly the same for the Kindle. Using MobiPocket Reader version 6.0, you can sync the document with the Kindle when you connect the Kindle to the PC. With later versions of MobiPocket Reader, the Kindle isn't recognized as a portable device (thank you very much, Amazon) and though MobiPocket keeps the feed information in the "My eBooks\Feeds" folder, apparently it uses the .mobifeed file type for itself -- only turning it into a .prc "book" when it syncs with the device.

I'm looking forward to trying the Feedbooks tool which should produce consistent "books" from the RSS feeds. Heck, if it works well, I'd gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee, particularly if Feedbooks would update and hold the articles for me, even if I forget to download them in a timely manner!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'm looking forward to trying the Feedbooks tool which should produce consistent "books" from the RSS feeds. Heck, if it works well, I'd gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee, particularly if Feedbooks would update and hold the articles for me, even if I forget to download them in a timely manner!
If you'd like to try an example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24949
Old 06-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Oh, I did! I like the formatting. Now I'm looking forward to setting up *my* list of feeds. I tried the PDF version and all I got was the title of the articles. Don't know if I did something wrong or not, but since my Kindle doesn't display PDFs any way, I could see no need to pursue it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Oh, I did! I like the formatting. Now I'm looking forward to setting up *my* list of feeds. I tried the PDF version and all I got was the title of the articles. Don't know if I did something wrong or not, but since my Kindle doesn't display PDFs any way, I could see no need to pursue it.
Which RSS feed ? I can try on our development server. I've added links to skip between items and support for newspapers (several RSS feeds in a single file) is ready too: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...692#post199692
Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
troutyluc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Calibre does it and much better, for the SONY reader.
What is Calibre?