Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
ForrestCraig
ForrestCraig doesn't litterForrestCraig doesn't litter

Device: none
banned from CreateSpace

I was just banned from CreateSpace and therefore by default, Amazon and Kindle. I am a 1st timer, nobody, wantabe writer who submitted a book for their editorial evaluation. It had already been through one round of comprehensive editing and I wanted one more opinion of a cleaned up version before going through the final setup for self publishing. I received a terse, cryptic email informing that they were terminating their service. This is it in its entirety:

"Thank you for your reply. During our review process, we found that your title contains content that is in violation of our content guidelines. As a result, we will not be offering this title for sale through the CreateSpace platform and will be unable to continue with service fulfillment."

I got another email suggesting that I could appeal the decision, but when I inquired why I was banned, I got no response.

I knew my book would be controversial but no more than many (in my opinion). My biggest gripe is that they will give me no reason, only lawyer-speak. Any one have a similar experience? They say they are refunding all my money, including the original editing expense.
ForrestCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
So what was the subject matter of the book? We can't have much of an opinion one way or the other without knowing that.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
ForrestCraig

It is what I call religious fiction. A story about a nun who comes to realize she has a higher calling, and outgrows her uniform. It has a little sex and violence and religious (sacreligious) controversy mixed in. It was still a work in progress and I hadn't gotten to the point that even I thought it was ready to be published. I was looking for feedback from an editor.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=ForrestCraig;1267839]

"Thank you for your reply. During our review process, we found that your title contains content that is in violation of our content guidelines. As a result, we will not be offering this title for sale through the CreateSpace platform and will be unable to continue with service fulfillment."

/QUOTE]

Title of the book?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
"Banned by Amazon" would be a good advertising tagline for something sold on Smashwords.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Whatever. It's not a good idea to look for editorial evaluation of a WIP. Complete the MS and then seek experienced advice -- and not from Amazon, which is not a publisher but a retailer. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
ForrestCraig

The title is Five Weeks and 5 days. As I said above I completely new to the process and appreciate the advice above but trusted that CreateSpace would be able to guide me through the process. It had already gone through one round where all the technical/gramatical issues were address and I simply wanted an editor's opinion as to the story line. It seems they got a Catholic theologian to review it but they won't tell me what about the story they found so offensive.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are the Content Guidelines. Are you violating any of these?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I didn't find anything there suggesting that you were actually banned from the use of Createspace or DTP. Was there something else where Amazon mentioned you could no longer submit either that work or any other?

Secondly, and again I apologize if some other information makes this issue clearer, but why is it assumed that the controversial nature and content of your book is the reason why they kicked you to the curb? Is it possible that there was something else at play?

For example, they might not like to publish unfinished works, though I can't confirm it. Or, assuming you paid for one of the editing services, perhaps they felt you were going beyond the stated contract terms by inquiring about further editing of content without going through their paid service. I glanced through their editing packages, and it seemed that only the Editorial Evaluation package held any sort of full copy and content editing, but of course forgive me if that's the one you utilized.

The "title contains content in violation" statement may just be a form letter used in rejection. Perhaps read through their Terms of Use and see if something pops out as clashing with your book. I definitely agree that Amazon sucks when it comes to their partner services. They respond slowly and often give cryptic answers, but that's just the way it is with them.

Finally, I have to strongly agree with Neil. Using a retailer as a method of guiding probably won't help you all that much, especially if its only a work in progress. Personally, I'd recommend doing a considerable amount of research on the publishing field, including distribution, marketing, querying (if you're interested in that sort of thing), genres, and everything else you are curious or in the dark about. With absolutely no offense intended, the statement, "I'm very new to this," will not gain favor with any professional in this field.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Here are the Content Guidelines. Are you violating any of these?
I'm struggling to see how any of those would apply to an ebook?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Is this possibly related to the OP's issue?

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2010/1...lena-kitt.html
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
ForrestCraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I didn't find anything there suggesting that you were actually banned from the use of Createspace or DTP. Was there something else where Amazon mentioned you could no longer submit either that work or any other.
I am allowed to submit new works but the title/work I submitted is blocked. My primary complaint is that they won't give me any information as to what they in my work they deemed violated their content guidelines so I don't know if it was the storyline or what. I clearly get a form letter designed to give you no hint, so therefore by definition you have no way to appeal. In my opinion I don't feel I violated the guidelines and would even consider modifying to come into compliance.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestCraig View Post
I am allowed to submit new works but the title/work I submitted is blocked. My primary complaint is that they won't give me any information as to what they in my work they deemed violated their content guidelines so I don't know if it was the storyline or what. I clearly get a form letter designed to give you no hint, so therefore by definition you have no way to appeal. In my opinion I don't feel I violated the guidelines and would even consider modifying to come into compliance.
Did you read the content that mish supplied a link to? It explains that there is some subject matter that Amazon will reject without getting specific about the reasons.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Joseph Mitchell
Enthusiast
Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PC, other
If I'm understanding this correctly, they've rejected any involvement in editing your book, not publishing it. Can't you still edit it yourself, or get someone to help you, and then submit it to them for publishing?
Joseph Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
ForrestCraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Mitchell View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, they've rejected any involvement in editing your book, not publishing it. Can't you still edit it yourself, or get someone to help you, and then submit it to them for publishing?
If you read the second paragraph of my original post, I quote the entirety of their notice to me stating clearly they will not be "selling" my title. Sounds pretty absolute, and to date I cannot get them to even discuss the reasons behind. I find it odd that it could be banned by a company that sells Pedophile how to books.