Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #106
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondog View Post
i also have the same problem cant install the pluing on calibre 0.9.19
Did you try to update the plugin within calibre or did you follow my directions for replacing the plugin ZIP file?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #107
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
hi jgoguen , now i have done it , i have replaced the plugin into the directory , an now appears on plugins , so i have put down the other 2 plugins of kobo and activate this kobotouchextended.zip plugin . but i dont know if im doing something wrong , i still cant convert my books into kepub , so what are the steps? , what i do is select an epub open it in the library of calibre then convert book , and on the format exit , there is a list but doesnt apears kepub , i guess im missing something ;D
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #108
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the plugin's README file:

Quote:
Please note: Modified books are not saved back into your Calibre library to prevent issues with overwriting library configurations unexpectedly, so books are processed in transit to your device every time. In most cases, the extra time required should not be noticeable.
As you can see, this plugin does not save converted books to your calibre library.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #109
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Does not save converted book on calibre library , so how do you convert epub into kepub and send to kobo , sorry but i dont know how to do it , im new with calibre. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #110
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

You already have my plugin installed and the other plugins disabled, so all you do is choose the books you want to send and click the "Send to Device" button.
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #111
demondog
Enthusiast

so when i send the book now with your plugin , it sends the book to de kobo and convert it at the same time into kepub? then i can open it in kobo and i got that extra features that got kepubs? ;D sry for the questions i cant test it now , im not at home , and thankyou for your replys and help =) , im waiting to come back home for use this ;D
Old 02-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #112
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by demondog View Post
so when i send the book now with your plugin , it sends the book to de kobo and convert it at the same time into kepub?
That's right.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #113
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I'm having trouble instaling the pluggin after calibre updated.

I created a zipfile according to the instruction on your page and then tryed to load it in calibre but with no success, it shows the following error

ImportError: cannot import name KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED

Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.19
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ImportError</b>:cannot import name KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 310, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 361, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 53, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 167, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 150, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.__init__", line 8, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED
any idea off what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #114
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Ok never mind I finally did it after readind the Read me file from the new plugin, att the bottom it explaines how to replace the file, I could not add the file to calibre because it already existed, after I replaced it it now apears in calibre.

Thanks for your work with the plugin jgoguen.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #115
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
can I just double check in case I am missing something? Differences between Kepub and Epub reader:

- pop-up footnotes work in Kepub, not in epub;
- count of effective screens to end of book chapter available in kepub, whereas epub reader counts ADE pages, not screens (but to the end of the book);
- reading statistics: Kepub gives statistics on time to end of chapter, reading time for next chapter, time left for reading book, while EPUB gives
- Kepub show both header and footer, EPUB only footer
- highlights are darker in Epub than in Kepub

Anything else?

Last edited by paola; 02-23-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: correction made
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #116
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Anything else?
If a page contains nothing but an image then that image can be zoomed and rotated in kepubs, but not in epubs.

Links to external websites work in kepubs, not in epubs.

Maybe more?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #117
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I *THOUGHT* the page count in kEpubs was to the end of the chapter

A better term might be pages to end of the file in the kEpub; not end of book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #118
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
can I just double check in case I am missing something? Differences between Kepub and Epub reader:

- pop-up footnotes work in Kepub, not in epub;
Strictly, pop-up footnotes is a new feature. It is part of the epub 3 spec. I think any support for this is because the kepub reader also supports epub 3.
Quote:
- count of effective screens to end of book available in kepub, whereas epub reader counts ADE pages, not screens (but to the end of the book);
As PeterT stated, the kepub reader counts screens per chapter.
Quote:
- reading statistics: Kepub gives statistics on time to end of chapter, reading time for next chapter, time left for reading book, while EPUB gives
Yes. For epubs, some of the stats are on the Reading Stats page.
Quote:
- Kepub show both header and footer, EPUB only footer
Yes.
Quote:
- highlights are darker in Epub than in Kepub
I have never noticed that, but there is a difference.

The other differences that I can think of are:

- Annotations/bookmarks for kepubs are only stored in the database. For epubs, they are stored in the database and a file. The file can be moved between devices.
- Internally, the annotation mechanism is different. That is why the modifications to the epubs are needed.
- The kepub reader handles different languages better. Specifically RTL languages and Japanese are supported.
- Purchased kepubs are synced to the Kobo server. This include reading status, bookmarks and shelves. Not strictly a reader difference, but a difference in how the books are handled.
- The kepub reader seems to be faster when turning the page at the end of long books.
- The epub reader has a bug with displaying long paragraphs. When a paragraph needs more than a screen to display it, the paragraph gets pushed to the next page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #119
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
thank you all for the corrections and additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If a page contains nothing but an image then that image can be zoomed and rotated in kepubs, but not in epubs.
This makes a huge difference for me, as I do have a few non-fiction books for which this is extremely handy, especially on a small screen!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #120
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Running Glo 2.4 & Calibre 0.9.20.

I've installed the KoboTouchExtended driver and it works in that it transfers files as kepubs. One of these has been fine, the others just hang the reader when I open them. Top line displays "reading" but nothing else happens. Only exit is a power-off or connect via USB and force the reader to close.

I don't think this is a driver problem as if I simply sideload the EPUB and then change the filename to ....kepub.epub I get the same results. Change the filename back and all o.k.

All books (good and bad) are stored on a micro SD card.

The "faulty" books don't display their cover in the carousel (just a hint of problems to come).

Any ideas welcome on fixing the books.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo