Notices

Old 09-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Kindle Paperwhite Firmware 5.8.2.1

Hey All,

Just noticed a new update. Sorry if this has already been posted but I just noticed it and thought I would share:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201756220

Seems to be for the Voyage and Oasis too... hope this helps some of you.
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Notice anything new? with a 0.0.1 change I don't expect anything.

Edit: I wonder if this fixes that Windows 10 AU blue screen bug that people have another thread for.

Last edited by Zeebra; 09-14-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
FritzM
FritzM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
. . .
Edit: I wonder if this fixes that Windows 10 AU blue screen bug that people have another thread for.
This bug was fixed by KB3189866!
Fritz
FritzM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
I didn't notice any difference: however, no clue why but I had a bear of a time installing it.. UGH - thought I ruined my reader but maybe that is the windos 10 issue you mentioned. The screen was turning on and off and the drive was being lost, then found, then lost.. etc.. by my laptop. I downloaded the update a 2nd time and it worked... whew..

I do believe this was the 1st time I connected using windows 10.
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I installed this, I don't notice any changes at all. I'm sure there must be something (bug fix?) If anyone finds anything please let us know.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I might be asking a stupid question, but - was the new Page Flip feature available before this firmware on the Paperwhite? I don't recall having it before but I'd have to open the Kindle guide specifically to use it, it's not available for all of the books I own anyway.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I might be asking a stupid question, but - was the new Page Flip feature available before this firmware on the Paperwhite?
Page Flip was present, but not activated, starting with the 5.7.2 firmware released in early February. It was activated by Amazon and became usable in late June.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I did find what I think is a new feature after installing this update. I'm pretty sure this wasn't there last week.

I saw a review of a book and I wanted to find out more about it so I picked up the Voyage and searched for it in the store. When I got to it's page there was a button that said "Go to your Library" in large print and below that the date that I purchased this. It seems I bought it in 2013 and forgot all about it.

I pressed the button and it didn't take me to that book, probably because it's not on my Kindle. But I tapped All and did a search again, the search phrase was still there, and it found the book.

This is a very welcome little feature for me. Until a few months ago it was easy to buy a book a second time without realizing it. A few months ago they starting giving me a notice if I tried to buy it that it was in my library. I wonder how many books I didn't go look at because I didn't realize they were in my library ready to consider. I like this a lot.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I updated my Oasis and do not have that new feature. It still has the buy button in the store and not "go to your library"

I'd like that feature so I hope it gets to me at some point. Seems to not be related to this update though since it didn't bring it to me. I was on 5.8.2 and now its 5.8.2.1
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just looked up that same book on my 1st generation Paperwhite and sure enough the Go To Library button was there. That Kindle hasn't had an update for some time so I guess the update didn't bring that button after all.

Maybe they're implementing it a book at a time and some books have it and others don't yet. Or maybe they know they can't fool me but they still hope to fool you.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Or maybe they know they can't fool me but they still hope to fool you.

Barry
Ha, that is it.

I am sure it will get here eventually.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I just looked up that same book on my 1st generation Paperwhite and sure enough the Go To Library button was there. That Kindle hasn't had an update for some time so I guess the update didn't bring that button after all.

Maybe they're implementing it a book at a time and some books have it and others don't yet. Or maybe they know they can't fool me but they still hope to fool you.

Barry
I guess they're hoping to fool me, too, as I still see a buy button as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:57 AM   #13
Leo365
Leo365 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I updated my Oasis and do not have that new feature. It still has the buy button in the store and not "go to your library"

I'd like that feature so I hope it gets to me at some point. Seems to not be related to this update though since it didn't bring it to me. I was on 5.8.2 and now its 5.8.2.1
Is there any improvement for the power consumption of Oasis? Someone told me the power run out quickly after he upgraded his Oasis.
Leo365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
There's no practical reason to install these minor updates, right?
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #15
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
When you search something, it now shows 'Wikipedia' option in addition to 'Text in Books' and 'Dictionary'
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote