Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Beyond that, Kobo is normally at a disadvantage here because of Amazon. However, they are missing a rare opportunity since Amazon is experiencing substantial delivery delays even locally with its equivalent model, and it will be a while before the KPW is available in stores. If Kobo had gotten the Glo on store shelves here on Oct 1, or even if they could do so within the next week or two, they could gain a rare advantage since it will be another month before the KPW is easily obtainable here.
Unfortunately, Kobo is also experiencing delays delivering the new models. Article here.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you look at the end of the article, Kobo contacted the author and pointed out that 95% of the stores will have them before the weekend and that they were rolling out from East coast to West. They are already in Central Alberta which is most of the way to the West Coast.

This is the same site that reported problems with the screen while demonstrating this on a setting screen that was not supposed to respond to touch to begin with. It appears to me that the author has opted to go for being fast over being accurate.

Last edited by taming; 10-04-2012 at 01:11 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #33
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quite honestly the author of that blog appears to be an illiterate idiot, when he publishes a review of the Glo that includes gems like:
"Statistically tablets all use back light and if you tilt it on an angle in a dark room, it has a radius."
This sentence was since redacted from his review, but he constantly publishes unsupported drivel and inaccurate guesses as if they were fact. His blog is the least believable source one could quote about e-readers.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Yes, taming, I know that the delays aren't significant and that Kobo has almost released to all the stores already. But given that there is some delay, that Kobo is trying to launch internationally at the same time, and that the Glo uses the same screen as the Kindle PW ... I'm not sure there would be enough product to enter the U.S. with the Glo.

I wonder if the delay is caused by both companies using the same screen and delays on that end.

And yes, this, too, is a guess, but I'm stating that up front.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #35
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I do not believe I was ever told that the screen is the same on both. It may be, but like you, I do not know that to be true. I also do not know that I have ever seen anything that stated that all countries were scheduled to get them simultaneously. In fact, I have seen reports to the contrary from partnering companies in various places who have not even put the new devices on their websites--much less started taking orders from them

The UK and Canada seem to be the only countries that look like they had planned new device rollouts going on. And things seem to be on schedule in both places. Just my opinion .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #36
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Well, here it is Oct. 5th, and still no US availability of the Glo or Mini, and no statement by Kobo as to when we might be able to buy their products.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #37
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I'm feeling quite impatient, too, but the only thing to stop me from buying will be if there is an official Apple iPad mini announcement.

In the mean time, I'll enjoy everyone else's good fortune and excitement.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #38
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Here is a link to a webstore that ships internationally. Someone who really wants it badly can get it shipped to virtually anywhere in the world. This may be the quickest solution for those posters who are repetitively complaining about availability (but not necessarily the cheapest) ....

http://www.shopereaders.com/product-...glo-silver.htm
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #39
EldRick
Evangelist

I checked out shopereaders.com - it adds roughly $60 to the price of a Mini, and $70 to the price of a Glo. They do ship to the US, at least.

Last edited by EldRick; 10-05-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #40
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I checked out shopereaders.com - it adds roughly $60 to the price of a Mini, and $70 to the price of a Glo. They do ship to the US, at least.
It's actually $40 and $60...$119. 99 vs $79.99 and $189.99 vs $129.99. A fair difference but they do ship anywhere in the world.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #41
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
A fair difference but they do ship anywhere in the world.
I have issues with your use of the word 'fair' in the above sentence.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #42
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I have issues with your use of the word 'fair' in the above sentence.
never been so happy to be Canadian! Usually the shoe's on the other foot (mine) when I want to order something available only in the States...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #43
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
It's actually $40 and $60...$119. 99 vs $79.99 and $189.99 vs $129.99.
You are ignoring the $23 minimum shipping cost via Canadian Mail, and the bizarre exchange rate (especially if you use PayPal).
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
You are ignoring the $23 minimum shipping cost via Caodian Mail, and the bizarre exchange rate (especially if you use PayPal).
No, not ignoring it. I've paid similar shipping + duty + ridiculous exchange rates on US $ (even when it was at par with the Canadian $) , so I know only too well how expensive it is to order something "internationally".
Point is though that the Kobos can be gotten through this company it you are unwilling to wait or if your country is not one where it will eventually be sold. But not cheaply...
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I don't know what's up with this site's visual representation of the Glo, photos of all Glo models show color Android interface, probably from the Arc model. i'm always a little worried to buy something from sites who have no respect for details.
Anyway, Kobo Glo is listed on Bestbuy.com as "Coming Soon", does anyone have any info on when it goes on sale in US's Best Buys? It's the only brick and mortar in my area and I want to make sure it doesn't have bright pixels before I leave the store. Thanks in advance for any useful inside info.
dentateck is offline   Reply With Quote