Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Calibre Book Reader for Proof Reading/Editing

I've hesitated to submit this query since the obvious solution is to use Sigil, but this seems to be a bit of "sledgehammer to crack a nutshell".

Having prepared a plain-text book with spell checking and textile/markdown tagging, I then convert to ePub using calibre. So far, so good - now the problems start! Many public domain books seem to have a lot of typos in them, possibly due to being OCR'd, so that careful proof-reading and correction is necessary.

Whilst I could proof-read the original text file it is much easier to use the calibre ebook reader, as the rendered ePub is easier to read than plain text. However, the reader cannot make corrections.

So, why not just use Sigil for proof-reading/editing? Well, because it restructures the ePub file and sometimes messes up the toc.ncx file.

So my query is this: Would it be possible to enable simple text edits, (insert/delete/copy/cut/paste), with the calibre reader and get it to save the changes to the ePub? This would not be structural or style changes, (therefore no xhtml tag changes), but simple text editing.

Would anyone else find this a useful tool or are there better ways to make proof-reading corrections?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I've hesitated to submit this query since the obvious solution is to use Sigil, but this seems to be a bit of "sledgehammer to crack a nutshell".

Having prepared a plain-text book with spell checking and textile/markdown tagging, I then convert to ePub using calibre. So far, so good - now the problems start! Many public domain books seem to have a lot of typos in them, possibly due to being OCR'd, so that careful proof-reading and correction is necessary.

Whilst I could proof-read the original text file it is much easier to use the calibre ebook reader, as the rendered ePub is easier to read than plain text. However, the reader cannot make corrections.

So, why not just use Sigil for proof-reading/editing? Well, because it restructures the ePub file and sometimes messes up the toc.ncx file.

So my query is this: Would it be possible to enable simple text edits, (insert/delete/copy/cut/paste), with the calibre reader and get it to save the changes to the ePub? This would not be structural or style changes, (therefore no xhtml tag changes), but simple text editing.

Would anyone else find this a useful tool or are there better ways to make proof-reading corrections?
Sigil .4(beta) will leave the NCX alone. IMHO, just don't do any page splitting until the quirky errors are worked out.

BTW you appear to be asking that Calibre viewer become a WYSWYG editor

Not all people use EPUB as their native file format (AFAIK the internal viewer converts to a format it can use, so it would have to convert changes BACK to the original file.) I suggest that you just set up 'Open With PI' with the editors for the file type you need to fix
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try Sigil again, it's been about 10 months since I used it, (and uninstalled it).

Yes, a sort of WYSIWYG editor, because it seems at a glance to be a small step from the calibre reader's current capabilites - but I am probably quite mistaken here!

Ah yes! Because I only use ePub, I'd overlooked that other formats would have to be supported.

What's "Open with PI"?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
ub, I'd overlooked that other formats would have to be supported.

What's "Open with PI"?
Open With Plug In
by Kiwidude

All sorts of direct access to the stuff:
By default it come pre-configured to :
edit epub
open PDF with Adobe (leaving Calibre viewer the default for View)
Edit covers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Lots of easy options to editing books really. I often just convert to .rtf and use word because I am familiar with it. MAybe not as sophisticated but good enough for my purposes.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I use Sigil in general - but if the book needs serious attention then it is into word I go, either converting to htmlz and editing the html or an rtf. Sadly Valloric seems to have put spell-checking on the backburner for Sigil, I would much preferred that to all the flightcrew stuff but it's his app to prioritise how he wants. It's "half a job" without a spellcheck for the type of editing I need to do unfortunately.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Lots of easy options to editing books really. I often just convert to .rtf and use word because I am familiar with it. MAybe not as sophisticated but good enough for my purposes.
Helen
I was doing that, but conversion to rtf strips out the table of contents, etc at the top. I still use that for non-fancy books.

I installed Sigil, and in the "book" view mode, it's really a pretty user friendly text editor. In code view, it's a bit more useful (especially for find/replace over the whole book). Overall, it's a pretty good program.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
An option I haven't seen mentioned yet -- use the "Tweak ePub" (shortcut "t") functionality to "explode" the epub and read/edit in your favorite WYSIWYG HTML editor. Once done, rebuild the epub and continue on your way.

Or you could do it by hand -- open any epub file in your favorite zip tool (or rename to .zip and open with Windows Explorer), extract, edit, rezip, and rename.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Agama
Guru

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'm going to give Sigil another go and install Kiwidude's "Open With Plugin". Spell-checking within Sigil would certainly be really helpful here!

I am currently using the Tweak ePub option but I don't have a WYSIWYG html editor so it's back to plain-text editing. Hence my thoughts that maybe the calibre reader could be extended. Also, proof-reading a whole book takes some time and the reader has bookmarking to carry on where you left off, unlike the Tweak option.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions; I'm going to give Sigil another go and install Kiwidude's "Open With Plugin". Spell-checking within Sigil would certainly be really helpful here!

I am currently using the Tweak ePub option but I don't have a WYSIWYG html editor so it's back to plain-text editing. Hence my thoughts that maybe the calibre reader could be extended. Also, proof-reading a whole book takes some time and the reader has bookmarking to carry on where you left off, unlike the Tweak option.
If you don't install the plug-in, you can simply right-click on the book in Calibre, select "open containing folder". If Sigil is installed...simply open the epub and associate .epub with Sigil for now on. Then it's just a few clicks to open the epub in sigil. Unless you have epub associated with something else (like the epub firefox plugin or something).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a slippery slope, once I start enabling editing features in the viewer, then people will start demanding more and more features and I'll end up having to write a replacement of Sigil, which is not something I want to do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
Agama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's a slippery slope, once I start enabling editing features in the viewer, then people will start demanding more and more features
Agreed!

... but your reply suggests that it would be technically possible. Is the source code for the reader included with the main calibre source? If so, then I could have a look at coding this for myself.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Pretty much anything is technically possible The source code for *all* part of calibre is included in the calibre source code. Look in the gui2.viewer module.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
I'm possibly veering somewhat off-topic here, but in the cases where you have both the OCR'ed text and the scanned images of each page, I like to make a two-column html-table with the images on the right and the text on the left. Then I can import that file into OpenOffice Writer, proofread, edit, and xhtml-format it, and save as plaintext. I enclose the bash-script I use on the pdf files of public-domain works available from the Norwegian National Library, and a screen dump of what a file looks like in OOffice. It could work on books from Google too, I think, though it'll probably have to be tweaked a bit.

<Grumble> Why are Windows-users allowed to upload their .bat files, while linux-users must zip their .sh files to upload them?</Grumble>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screendump-twocolumn-pdf-view.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	71213  
Attached Files
File Type: gz twocolumnPDFview.sh.gz (1.5 KB, 236 views)
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Agama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I'm possibly veering somewhat off-topic here
No, it's still on topic and could be useful at times.

When I scan pages I use Microsoft OneNote 2010. It allows scanned pages to be OCR'd and pasted as plain text in a box next to the scanned image. I'm also having a play with the speech recognition built into Windows 7, by reading books aloud.

I still like the idea of hooking into the calibre reader but it might be more of a tweak-epub launched from the reader rather than wysiwyg editing.

Last edited by Agama; 05-10-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo