Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Free ebook on TV writing: "Valuable Lessons"

There's a Freebie ebook available - "Valuable Lessons: How I Made (and lost) seven million dollars writing for over a hundred shows you never heard of" by Andrew Nicholls.

This is a pdf (288 pages). A really funny, well written memoir by a TV writer. He claims he couldn't find a publisher for it. I don't know why. It was so funny, informative, well written, that I read it in two sittings.

The authors' website is horrible. They must have used every hint in "1001 Ways to Create a Messy Website" when they set it up.

The link to the ebook is:

http://www.nichollsvickers.com/architectural_009.htm

Click on the grey oblong titled "Valuable Lessons the book" to get the pdf.

The pdf is muddy and faded to the extent it won't convert to txt. So, you've got to read it as it is. I read it on my desktop computer.

But, if there's any would-be TV writers amongst you - this is the place to start. You'll learn heaps about the real world of TV writing and have a lot of laughs along the way.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Thanks for the link, RCR!

Man, you're not kidding about the webpage design! Even with your explicit instructions, it took me a couple of minutes to find the download link for the book.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks RCR! For anyone else looking, the gray box is what you need to click.

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-02-2009 at 02:33 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I didn't even get a gray box in Firefox, just the words. But, thanks for the link. I'll see how PGNRead handles the conversion to the Kindle.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The site is a real mess. It wants Apple Quicktime install as a browser plugin. And for that, I say... STAY AWAY! Any site that needs Apple Quicktime is a mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
On the other hand, the book itself was fascinating to me.

The ironic thing is, the author complains about all kinds of bad TV writing, when the examples he gives from his own shows seem cliched and unfunny to me.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!