Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Technophobe
Technophobe began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Buy from Kindle for Sony 505?

We are about to set out on a 5 month trip abroad, and want to bring with as many books as possible. It had been our intention to buy both a sony ebook, as well as a kindle, so as to have broadest possible access to books. Well, we ordered the sony 505, but left it too late to get a kindle before we go. So, my question is is it possible to buy kindle books and read them on a sony?

(We have the additional problem that we are bringing with us a netbook that runs linux, not windows, and have just discovered that you can't download books from the sony store unless you use their software, which only runs on windows. Ugh.)

As you may have guessed from my username, I have absolutely no experience or knowledge with computer programming, so any directions available would need to be at the most basic level (first, turn your device on...)

Thanks much!
Technophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Amazon does not allow you to buy Kindle books unless you have a Kindle registered to your account. So you will not be able to purchase Kindle books from Amazon.

There must be some sort of reader program/utility that would run on the netbook so you could buy books that you could read on it? Unfortunately, I'm not linux knowledgeable.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
You don't have to buy the books from the Sony store. There are other eBook stores (e.g. fictionwise.com), but you'll have to convert the eBook formats to LRF or ePub. You can use the calibre software to do this. Of course, you'll also need to deal with DRM.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Technophobe

Ok, my ignorance is going to show here...what's DRM? (If there's another post on this, please feel free to point me in the right direction).

I should say that I am also not at all Linux knowledgeable. We bought the netbook with linux because it was cheaper. but figured it didn't matter since all I wanted to be able to do was access email and word process.

Thus, if someone could point me towards very basic instructions on Calibre on linux for total newbies, I'd be very appreciative.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technophobe View Post
Ok, my ignorance is going to show here...what's DRM? (If there's another post on this, please feel free to point me in the right direction).
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DRM

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Oh man ..... soooo many posts on DRM. Posts, debates, arguments.

Unless you are leaving next week it's still possible to get a Kindle before you leave. If you do a search on this forum for "refurbished" (search box in the upper left), you will see that there are reasonably priced factory refurbished Kindles with the same return option and warranty, that are available for next day delivery.

You can purchase from the Amazon store via the internet no matter what OS your netbook is running, and you can transfer the books from your netbook to your Kindle on USB.

Nevermind the search, here's the link and they have one in stock at the moment.

If you are looking to take (and purchase) as many books as possible while you are on your trip, as long as you have an internet connection, a Kindle will be a great choice.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 12-03-2008 at 08:50 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Technophobe

Thanks Ricky--I'd been checking on amazon for a refurbished kindle, and there hadn't been one available...but thanks to your post I checked one more time and have just ordered one.

And thank you to Bob for sending me to the DRM page.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Thanks Ricky--I'd been checking on amazon for a refurbished kindle, and there hadn't been one available...but thanks to your post I checked one more time and have just ordered one.

And thank you to Bob for sending me to the DRM page.
You are most welcome. Really, while I know people love their Sonys, given that you are a technophobe, I think diving into Calibre and everything else involved with converting books to read on the Sony is going to be a pain in the tush while you are on vacation.

You can purchase books for your Kindle even before it arrives, and they will be on the Kindle when you get it. You'll be able to fit about 200 books on the memory that comes with the Kindle. You can also purchase a memory card (that fits in the back) that will hold thousands more.

So, if you have an idea of the books you want before you leave .... start ordering them now and you won't even have to think about it on your trip.

However, as mentioned, when you are on the Amazon site, you will see an option to download a book to your computer. All you need to do then is save the book on your computer, plug the usb cable into your Kindle and into your computer, and you can transfer the book over.

Oh .... and don't be fooled by the "one in stock" note .... if you and your wife both need Kindles, they may actually have more than one in stock. They only ever list that there is "1" ..... and if you have two Kindles linked to the same account .... you can share books between the two of them.

Just so you know .....

And .... yeppers .... they still show one in stock. (I've purchased three Kindles myself .... looooove them!!)

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 12-03-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
We are about to set out on a 5 month trip abroad, and want to bring with as many books as possible.
One quick note since you mentioned you are going abroad...Kindle's "Whispernet" feature, the ability to download directly from Amazon's site to the Kindle, only works in the U.S. currently.

You can though purchase as many books as you want before you leave and of course, you should be able to download to your computer and transfer via the USB cable to the Kindle while you are away. Though again, I've never used Linux but assume you can transfer via USB like on a Windows based PC.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
One quick note since you mentioned you are going abroad...Kindle's "Whispernet" feature, the ability to download directly from Amazon's site to the Kindle, only works in the U.S. currently.

You can though purchase as many books as you want before you leave and of course, you should be able to download to your computer and transfer via the USB cable to the Kindle while you are away. Though again, I've never used Linux but assume you can transfer via USB like on a Windows based PC.
Considering that the Kindle's OS is Linux based, I don't see how there could be a problem transferring books from a Linux based netbook. And, since you apparently own a Kindle ... then actually you have used Linux .... doesn't that make you feel cutting edge??

Also ... it's a good idea to read some of the posts in reply to his post just so you don't end up repeating something that someone else already covered. Understanding, of course, that it's a little harder to do when there are 100 pages of replies.

Just sayin ....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
DRM... Dumb Random Mumbling...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote