Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
English words of 'recent' origin

Some commonly used English words are of surprisingly recent origin. For this thread I'll count 'recent' as anything in the past 200 years!

Hello, for example - the earliest written use of Hello as a greeting is 1833.

Cheers is even more recent - as a salutation when drinking it is, I'm told, recorded only from 1919!

What now widely used English words do you know that have a recent origin?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
OK - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okay
Robot - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot#Etymology
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
To google (as a verb) - 1998 (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/google)
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK is a brilliant example.

Robot is OK , but is more like the many modern words for things that didn't exist before the modern era.

Ditto for Google.

But I think there must be lots more like Hello, Cheers and OK....

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-26-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Robot is OK ,
LOL! Cool! {pun intended}

Fubar
snafu
awol

Go postal

shampoo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shampoo#United_Kingdom
Advert
Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
LOL! Cool! {pun intended}

Fubar
snafu
awol

Go postal

shampoo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shampoo#United_Kingdom
You have to have been a soldier to have come up with those!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
You have to have been a soldier to have come up with those!
Now that I think of it ... here is another one:
Goon
shrapnel
Boycott

Shrapnel and Boycott (both named after Brittish officers) remind me to point you to a list of eponyms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eponym
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eponyms_%28A-K%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eponyms_%28L-Z%29

The vast majority of those are less than 200 years old.

Yes, I was a soldier, once upon a time ;-)
Enlisted man. Non-voluntary enlisted man. [shudder]
But fubar and snafu weren't used in our army - nobody spoke English there ;-)
Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I like shampoo, as although it's an older word, the meaning of a hair cleaning product is only around 1860.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:14 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Goon seem to me to be to be slang that will soon date, or has already dated. Does anyone still use it in real life?

Shrapnel and boycott I like a lot. And the idea of eponyms is good, although I think only ones which have become lower-case, that is, the link to the original name is almost gone, like shrapnel and boycott and unlike, say, Brownian motion.

So sideburns is another good one.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:24 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Also, leotard and diesel, although these also apply to modern inventions.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Goon seem to me to be to be slang that will soon date, or has already dated. Does anyone still use it in real life?
I do ;-)
But I do not live in English speaking country, to my English comes from the book reading, or at least large part of it.
Quote:
And the idea of eponyms is good, although I think only ones which have become lower-case, that is, the link to the original name is almost gone, like shrapnel and boycott and unlike, say, Brownian motion.
the best ones are where most people already forgot where the name comes from, like sandwich.
There is a nice book called Eponymous. It was in this book where I learned about shrapnel, boycott, leotards, sandwich ...
I will try to find out who wrote it.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
xstitchfan
Connoisseur
xstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to all

Device: nook touch, nextbook 10" tablet pc windows 8.1
I have 2 surprisingly recent "invention" words - "lipstick" and "brassiere". My grandmother was born in 1896 and used to tell me stories about her experiences using new products. Grammy didnt't wear lipstick because the first lipsticks tasted just like candle wax. She said she could never get used to wearing lipstick. I think those first lipsticks would have put me off them, too. According to some dictionaries, "lipstick" wasn't used in English until 1885. (The shampoo reference made me think of this word.) BTW, "lipstick on a pig" -according to Wikipedia - was first published in 1946. Also according to Wikipedia, the word "brassiere" wasn't used until 1893. Vogue first mentioned it in 1907. The first US patent wasn't until 1930's! Grammy's story about trying this product out for the first time is a true LOL moment. When I think of the number of innovations that came to be in her lifetime, I am truly amazed. Happy Reading! Joan
xstitchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
POSH ? I've always been told it referred to the side of the ship to be on for the trip to India; Port Out, Starboard Home.

However searching now tells me nope; but there is no real origin for the word either.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I was just reading an annotated Jane Austen (Emma) that commented "in-between" was only coming into vogue at the time the book was written.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
POSH ? I've always been told it referred to the side of the ship to be on for the trip to India; Port Out, Starboard Home.

However searching now tells me nope; but there is no real origin for the word either.
We might not know where posh comes from, but it's certainly of recent origin. 1914 is the first recorded use.