Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
$20 Tablet from India

http://qz.com/26244/how-a-20-tablet-...as-we-know-it/

Quote:
He believes that the $40 price of the tablet could drop to $25 within a year. “I showed a Google executive [this] tablet. He suddenly realized that his $99 tablet isn’t going to stand up to the $25 tablet from India.” . . .

The Aakash 2, for example, is currently assembled in Amritsar, a city in the far north of India, near the border with Pakistan. But, says Tuli, “We don’t rule out assembly done in the US. Labor is not a big component to this, so if it costs me $1.50 extra and I can put a ‘made in USA’ label on it, then it’s something we will seriously consider.”
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I've tried it at a showcasing event. Battery life is aweful. 2 hrs. Wifi strength isn't that great. But if you are looking for cheap Raspberry Pi alternative, it can work as standalone plugged in device.

It will surely be popular amongst students, but not as consumer tablet.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I've tried it at a showcasing event. Battery life is aweful. 2 hrs. Wifi strength isn't that great. But if you are looking for cheap Raspberry Pi alternative, it can work as standalone plugged in device.
Two hours used to be pretty good for a standard laptop, and there was mention of a dockable keyboard like the Asus tablets. I wouldn't be surprised if they hid extra batteries in the keyboard.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I tried one of the links to a review and couldn't find the screen resolution anywhere. I'm assuming it wasn't worth mentioning.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I tried one of the links to a review and couldn't find the screen resolution anywhere. I'm assuming it wasn't worth mentioning.

800 x 480 as mentioned here.

Also, http://www.ubislate.com, the homepage of Aakash doesn't utter a word about resolution.

Last edited by Nexutix; 11-12-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as I thought - it wasn't worth mentioning. This is something maybe I would get for my 7 year-old.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
makes me want to jump in my tata nano and buy one right now.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Again, not too horrible. Or am I the only one who hasn't conveniently forgotten that 15" monitors used to be 640x480? If the pixels are large enough, it could work.

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have always looked to the Chinese to offer low cost knock offs of american electronics at a fraction of the cost. I have not found Indian companies as good at the process of reverse engineering any product, copying it then selling the knock off at a fraction of the original's price. The Chinese are masters at this process however the Indians have bit had as much success. Guess I will go look for a Chinese knock off of the major ebook readers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Again, not too horrible. Or am I the only one who hasn't conveniently forgotten that 15" monitors used to be 640x480?
More than a decade ago maybe.
Things have moved on a little since then.
SVGA was standard since the late 90s.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Just remember that most of the Indian population earn a fraction of what we earn. So $25 USD is going to be about as much as an iPad to us in comparison.

If this tablet, knock-off or not, allows wider tablet ownership in India to become an actuality, then more power to it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Nexutix
Reading and reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
If this tablet, knock-off or not, allows wider tablet ownership in India to become an actuality, then more power to it.
Usage statistics will tell how useful it has been. Also, not to be pessimistic but, we are overestimating the effect of technology in our lives. (Related)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Again, not too horrible. Or am I the only one who hasn't conveniently forgotten that 15" monitors used to be 640x480? If the pixels are large enough, it could work.

Sure, I remember everybody getting headaches from looking at the screen all day at work. Hardware companies coming up with all kinds of "glare filters" to make it more tolerable.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
My takeaway from the OP article is that monochrome eReaders are probably doomed because, in 3-5 years, maybe sooner, stable color tablets will be cheaper. Then, I thought that coming in.

What if the price of manufacturing for eInk Pearl goes down just as quickly as for color LCD tablets? I'm afraid that won't matter, just as when black and white film processing became more expensive than color because the high volume low price outfits didn't even offer black and white any more.

Now, most (not all) eInk readers are repairable, so there should be a lot of used eInk units around for decades -- maybe centuries! But I can only use them on a regular basis so long as the infrastructure such as Overdrive, and the calibre Fetch News feature, continues to support it. If the infrastructure is there, I will have no problem with an antique.

It's also always possible that something will come along so that I will actually want a tablet. If it wasn't for the internet, our Apple IIGS, now in the basement, might still be in use.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
If it wasn't for the internet, our Apple IIGS, now in the basement, might still be in use.
I miss my Atari 800XL.