Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is it better to directly download the Kobo epub or sideload the epub?
Direct download is better 2 7.14%
Sideloading through ADE/Calibre is better 12 42.86%
Neither one is better than the other. 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo epub direct download or sideload epub

So I've been wondering about whether it's better to download and read the Kobo epub directly or to download the epub and sideload using ADE or Calibre. My wife uses the second option while I usually go with the first. I thought I post a poll and get other opinions. Thanks!
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I don't think either one is inherently better. I read mainly sideloaded books, but even if I'm reading a Kobo epub, I will still download the ADE version of the file to keep as a backup.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I don't think either one is inherently better. I read mainly sideloaded books, but even if I'm reading a Kobo epub, I will still download the ADE version of the file to keep as a backup.
I do this too.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Ditto Sao and frddgls. Even if you do direct download you should download a backup copy.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Oh I absolutely do as well. I'd hate to lose all my books!
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Right now I do all of the above, but the best solution is not having to use 3 different programs. At a bare minimum, the Kobo Desktop needs to be able to do 2 things:
- The desktop app should allow you to add (and remove) any supported content from any source to either main storage or SD card. This includes ADE DRM authorization. (I'd personally also like a way to easily remove some or all of the preloaded books.)
- After downloading a book directly to your Kobo, on your next sync the desktop app should give you a prompt asking if you want to download a backup to your computer.

These are things that a non-technical reader would want to do every day. I don't expect full-blown ePub authoring, or even modification, to be part the Kobo Desktop, but perhaps simple conversions could be included.

Anything else on your wish list?
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Deleted.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
- After downloading a book directly to your Kobo, on your next sync the desktop app should give you a prompt asking if you want to download a backup to your computer.
I think that is already happening. I am sure when I downloaded a book via the store on my Kobo Touch, that the next time I started the desktop application, that it downloaded the book. This is getting the kepub version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
That will NEVER happen, it would be illegal for the desktop app to remove DRM from ADE books.
BryanK didn't say anything about removing DRM, he said "simple conversion". I read that to mean conversion from non-DRM sources like perhaps a book from the mobileread library that is currently only in non-drm kindle format converting to ePub. There is no reason that simple conversion couldn't be built into the Kobo desktop software.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
BryanK didn't say anything about removing DRM, he said "simple conversion". I read that to mean conversion from non-DRM sources like perhaps a book from the mobileread library that is currently only in non-drm kindle format converting to ePub. There is no reason that simple conversion couldn't be built into the Kobo desktop software.
Okay, I thought he meant ADE DRM'd books.

But I still don't this will happen, Calibre works perfectly for doing that.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
camiller
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
But I still don't this will happen, Calibre works perfectly for doing that.
Oh, I agree with you there. I don't think there is any incentive for Kobo to make their desktop app be a generic library manager.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think that is already happening. I am sure when I downloaded a book via the store on my Kobo Touch, that the next time I started the desktop application, that it downloaded the book. This is getting the kepub version.
Good to know, I must have missed that before (I think I've only directly downloaded a book once or twice).

@The Terminator & camiller: Yeah, I wouldn't expect the desktop to strip Adobe (or any other) DRM. I was thinking more of something like html->epub (good for wikis) or text->epub (take selected files and put them in the same "book").
As for making the Kobo desktop a generic library manager, I agree that there's little incentive. It would only be for the convenience of their customers, which is a hard business case to make these days. iTunes comes pretty close, but they don't have other vendors selling content using the same DRM scheme like Kobo does.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote