Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Recommendations for books on climate change?

I was reading this article on The Guardian about Copenhagen and started wondering if it was really time I got some serious reading done on the subject of climate change. I'm aware that George Monbiot has some books out on the subject, but I'm wondering if MobileRead.com readers have any suggestions for books that aren't too heavy on the statistics but give a good overall picture of the current state of play and degree of knowledge?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
The Lorax by Dr. Seuess. I found it to have about the same amount of hard irrefutable scientific data as most climate change papers.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I enjoyed "Thin Ice: Unlocking the Secrets of Climate in the World's Highest Mountains by Mark Bowen". This is a classic popular science book, by a working scientist who certainly believes in human caused global warming. This isn't available as an ebook, but his "Censoring Science", a portrait of NASA climate scientist James Hansen, has a Kindle version. I have not read it, but it gets good reviews on Amazon.

I don't assume that the science questions have been settled in favor of significant warming in the near term. I just bought "What's the Worst That Could Happen? by Greg Craven" and I hope it will give me a better understanding of the arguments pro and con.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
If you want something a little different than what you are looking for, you can try "The Little Ice Age" by Brian Fagan. I have yet to read it, but I did see the program on it, and it's extremely interesting. It deals with climate change and it's effects.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Six Degrees by Mark Lynas is a good read. Ignore the OTT cover. A good read rather than science though.

Last edited by seagull; 12-11-2009 at 03:18 PM.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I'm wondering if MobileRead.com readers have any suggestions for books that aren't too heavy on the statistics but give a good overall picture of the current state of play and degree of knowledge?
I recommend The Weather Makers, by Tim Flannery. Anything Flannery writes is worth reading.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
State of Fear by Michael Crichton. This is fiction but very interesting and hard to put down, like most of his books
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Chuck Tremper: "As the Oceans Rise" is interesting and has suggestions on how to help - including saving paper and treees by adopting Ebooks.

Here's the homepage:
http://www.astheoceansrise.com/index.htm
which includes a sample chapter.

(I should declare an interest: I was one of the people interviewed in the book.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
State of Fear by Michael Crichton. This is fiction but very interesting and hard to put down, like most of his books
It is also, it is only fair to point out, very, VERY at odds with the consensus of mainstream science, and it has been heavily criticised. Eg, James Hansen, head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies wrote:

Quote:
He (Michael Crichton) doesn’t seem to have the foggiest notion about the science that he writes about.
while Daniel P. Schrag, Director of the Center for the Environment at Harvard University, says about the book

Quote:
I think it is unfortunate when somebody who has the audience that Crichton has shows such profound ignorance.
So read it by all means - it's a decent enough thriller - but please don't mistake the pseudo-science it contains for the real thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Chuck Tremper: "As the Oceans Rise" is interesting and has suggestions on how to help - including saving paper and treees by adopting Ebooks.

Here's the homepage:
http://www.astheoceansrise.com/index.htm
which includes a sample chapter.

(I should declare an interest: I was one of the people interviewed in the book.)
Thanks so much for the link, Patricia. I have been wanting to read about Climate Change also, but am reluctant to buy print books. So I am very pleased that it is in both mobi and epub for free. I might just buy the paperback anyway so that the author gets something for his efforts.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Some terrific suggestion here, folks. Keep them coming - I'm clearly not the only one with an interest on reading up on the subject.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
If you are serious read "Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years"

http://www.amazon.com/Unstoppable-Gl...1774563&sr=1-1

The debate is over. Al Gore -

The Pope himself, Paul V, now intervened again: he ordered that Galileo be brought before the Inquisition. Then the greatest man of science in that age was brought face to face with the greatest theologian--Galileo was confronted by Bellarmin. Bellarmin shows Galileo the error of his opinion and orders him to renounce it. De Lauda, fortified by a letter from the Pope, gives orders that the astronomer be placed in the dungeons of the Inquisition should he refuse to yield. Bellarmin now commands Galileo, "in the name of His Holiness the Pope and the whole Congregation of the Holy Office, to relinquish altogether the opinion that the sun is the centre of the world and immovable, and that the earth moves, nor henceforth to hold, teach, or defend it in any way whatsoever, verbally or in writing." This injunction Galileo acquiesces in and promises to obey.[

http://www.infidels.org/library/hist.../Chapter3.html

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 12-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Really you need to tell us your viewpoint first. Every book released will be backed by "science", even though it might not be.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Bill Evans (used to be a TV Weatherman in NYC) had a ghost writer for a couple fiction books about climate change. Category 7 was one, it was a thriller about some guy with a weather machine.. And then I think he wrote one like the Day After Tomorrow.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Lorax.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
"The Deniers: The World Renowned Scientists Who Stood Up Against Global Warming Hysteria, Political Persecution, and Fraud**And those who are too fearful to do so"
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote