Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
netrobot
Edge User

Entourage Store (app) says "Not enough space"

Using the Entourage store to try to download a game (I've tried several), it stops saying, "Cannot finish download. There is not enough space."

How do I figure out where it is trying to download? Since this thing is NEW and has virtually nothing on it, there is obviously space EVERYWHERE, so this means something else, but what?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
Using the Entourage store to try to download a game (I've tried several), it stops saying, "Cannot finish download. There is not enough space."

How do I figure out where it is trying to download? Since this thing is NEW and has virtually nothing on it, there is obviously space EVERYWHERE, so this means something else, but what?

Thanks!
Try moving your Library to a SD card. The EE and PE support up to a 32MB SDHC or micro-SDHC card. I bought a 8GB micro-SDHC card for less than $20. Here is how you move your library to the SD card: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=151

Also, try downloading this App (if you can) to find out the status of your system resources: Quick System Info Pro http://mobileplanet-waryam.blogspot....r-android.html

Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
netrobot
Edge User

Ok, well I have 2.26GB free in Internal Storage, and 3.66GB available on the micro-SD. How could the "not enough space" message NOT be bogus? Is it trying to download to a folder than got deleted maybe? (could the store app be that lame?)
And do Apps go into the Library? I was downloading (the chess game) using the "Download Now" button -- is there ANOTHER option? Like "just install"? I've looked again and didn't see one.

I'll refer to "the Basket" (thanks Borisb) to find another source for Android apps and see if it's my eDGe or Entourage store. After having this thing a whole day, I'm in danger of being PRODUCTIVE! I need a GAME!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
netrobot
Edge User

I just went to slideme.org (on the browser) and tried to download the "Sam" application. The download was unsuccessful again, so my eDGe has a bad download destination stuffed inside it somewhere. Now the question is, where do I adjust that setting?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
netrobot
Edge User

I thought I knew what was wrong -- the Download folder on the (it turns out) SD card was read-only. I formatted it, but that didn't help. The download folder RETURNED, and it's READ ONLY again! If that's where downloads go, I'm hosed because it won't stop making it read only.

This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy. I cannot download most apps using my PC because they're all trying to be so cutesy and download ONLY to the android device directly.

I tried a search, but search from the file manager apparently goes into another dimension because it's still at 0% after fifteen minutes. The eDGe isn't THAT big. Now the search is hung and there is apparently no way to kill a search.

My friend tried to link his Droid phone with my eDGe last night to give me task killer. It didn't work, and when I tried to download it, I couldn't. He gave it to me on a thumbdrive but it wouldn't install because it wants to be on a PHONE. Wish I had it because there is no TASK KILLER on the eDGe.

Then I tried unmounting the SD card and removing it, figuring, where would an eDGe download if it didn't HAVE the card? No! I failed to download again. (but it's still searching)

I'll remove the SD card and reload it, being careful to NOT put a Download folder on it. Does anyone know where downloads TRY to go?

Last edited by netrobot; 05-11-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Filark
Edge User

Look in the ES File Explorer (app). There is a download file there under the Local tab. I think that's where they go. I have had no problem downloading from the Store app (so far!) and it sounds like you have plenty of space. You could look in Applications under Settings (app or from Menu while on Home page), then look under Manage applications and see if something is running that shouldn't be, or. . . well, I don't know what. I'm going to try downloading from the store myself now for the first time since I upgraded to Ermine. You are running Ermine, yes?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
Filark
Edge User

Just downloaded and installed the Chess game. Which is no help to you, but the store app works fine for me so it's probably not that.

Did you do a Reset? (small hole next to the USB port) That might help, maybe. Can't hurt with a new machine, I hope/think. Gosh darn it, I wish I knew more to help you better.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
netrobot
Edge User

Thanks for the help Filark. The only "Download" folder on my eDGe is under [block block] /sdcard/ Maybe that's a clue? I use the backslash on the left (in the file manager) to get to "root".

Oddly, I put all sorts of things on that card, then put it in the eDGe but none of the things I put there show up under /sdcard/. And I didn't put the Download folder there, so I'm wondering if I'm looking at some kind of Linux reference to what the thing THINKS is there.

Maybe I could CREATE a Download folder? If I knew where it was supposed to go, i would.

Oh, and here's something I would think we all need: Looking at the running applications it occurs to me there must be a way to "tab" through them as we do in Windows. If they're "running", there's no point in running them again, right? Or do apps leave a stub and this "running" status is misleading? Again, I've looked in "the Basket" but didn't find it, searching for "tab", "running" and "switch" (this is how the basket isn't in the form of a REFERENCE -- it's about the use of keywords and formatting)
Maybe all Android devices have the function, in which case, I can do a Google search on it? But here I am, off on a tangent. Download still doesn't work....

Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Ok, well I have 2.26GB free in Internal Storage, and 3.66GB available on the micro-SD. How could the "not enough space" message NOT be bogus? !
I was asking you to move your library to the SD card to see if there was possibly a problem with internal memory but I guess you already did that. You say you have 2.26GB of internal storage and 3.66GB on the SD card. Is this looking at it with a computer? What does it say when you go under Settings and Device Storage? I have a 8GB SD card installed on my PE and it is reporting the Data Storage Device as an SD Card and Application (Internal) Storage Total Space at 322 MB. I read somewhere on this forum that whenever the user library is moved to an SD card you lose the 3 GB of internal storage for books, downloads etc. and only system storage remains on the device for Apps and services. Can any other EE or PE owner with an SD card verify what they see under Settings - Device Storage.

The /sd/download folder is definitely where downloads go if you are using the SD card to store your library. Have you tried downloading an App file on your PC and then use the transfer cable to copy it to another folder on the Edge, like documents for example, and then opening it? As far as the Apps running, Android caches the status of all opened Apps before they are closed so that if you run them again they will open back up where you left them.

Last edited by obsessed2; 05-12-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
emusan
Edge User

Android sets apart about 400MBs for application data in a seperate partition for dem purposes, if tthis gets filled you will likely get an error like this, to check the space left on this partition, I think you go to settings, about, then storage(not too sure as I'm kinda new to Android. There. May be a way to reformat in order to get more apparently space but I'm not sure...

I may be wrong in all this, but it seems the most likely to me.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
Android sets apart about 400MBs for application data in a seperate partition for dem purposes, if tthis gets filled you will likely get an error like this, to check the space left on this partition, I think you go to settings, about, then storage(not too sure as I'm kinda new to Android. There. May be a way to reformat in order to get more apparently space but I'm not sure...

I may be wrong in all this, but it seems the most likely to me.
No you are right. I had the same problem and had to uninstall some older Apps to be able to try out newer Apps. That's why he needs to check to see what the PE is reporting for Application Storage.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
netrobot
Edge User

The free space figures I cited are all from the Settings on the PE. I can download a FEW apps on my PC, but as I cited, most sites are "CUTESY" (in other words a PITA) and ONLY allow installing, not downloading, so the PC is useless. i did find VNC-Android in an open download and I'm using it on the PE.

I'm still wondering why what I see in "SDCARD" on the PE under the file manager is NOT what I put on the micro-SD with it plugged into my PC. And I was very careful to mount and unmount as documented, and even tried restarting the PE after inserting the card. That makes me wonder if I'm even looking at the folder that represents the micro-SD card.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
The free space figures I cited are all from the Settings on the PE. I can download a FEW apps on my PC, but as I cited, most sites are "CUTESY" (in other words a PITA) and ONLY allow installing, not downloading, so the PC is useless. i did find VNC-Android in an open download and I'm using it on the PE.

I'm still wondering why what I see in "SDCARD" on the PE under the file manager is NOT what I put on the micro-SD with it plugged into my PC. And I was very careful to mount and unmount as documented, and even tried restarting the PE after inserting the card. That makes me wonder if I'm even looking at the folder that represents the micro-SD card.
Try www.freewarelovers.com because they allow you to download any App they have using a PC. I use them quite a bit.

When you go into Device Storage under Settings what is being reported as the Data storage device? The SD card or internal memory?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
Filark
Edge User

netrobot, I think the local storage is called /sdcard/ even though that doesn't make sense (to me ). I have never used an sd card but that is the name of the directory where all my files are stored (as seen through ES File Explorer). Kinda confusing!

If you don't have anything on your PE yet, or anything you want to save, anyway, would it make sense to do a factory reset? I think that's what it's called. Or maybe you can't with Ermine. I thought I knew where to find it and now I don't see it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?? (Cuz it seems I don't, lol!)

Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #15
netrobot
Edge User

Yeah, I'll try the RESET button and see if that clears things up. The only thing in here is VNC and my wireless key -- both easy to re-install.
Ok, I hit RESET, then rebooted. Oddly, both VNC and my wireless key were still in place. Went to "the store", tried to download Chess and IT WORKED. When the PE was booting up, it said something about "preparing SDCARD", so maybe it did some special prep -- whatever it did, it works now, and it doesn't seem to have lost anything useful.

So, the lesson here is RESET!