Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
fyoung
fyoung began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Local Paper recipe - need help

Ok so I am new to this recipe thing and I am setting up a recipe for my local paper. Now the local paper has several RSS feeds, so my question is how do I set up one recipe to link to all the feeds supplied by the paper? The local paper is the LadysmithChronicle.com
fyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyoung View Post
Ok so I am new to this recipe thing and I am setting up a recipe for my local paper. Now the local paper has several RSS feeds, so my question is how do I set up one recipe to link to all the feeds supplied by the paper? The local paper is the LadysmithChronicle.com
You can start with a Basic Recipe - it allows multiple feeds. Then, when you decide you want to remove junk, you can switch it to an Advanced Recipe and begin removing tags and improving it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
fyoung

Thanks for that, I will give it a go.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
ironcat
ironcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
You may start with this:
Spoiler:

Code:
import re
from calibre.web.feeds.recipes import BasicNewsRecipe

class LadysmithChronicle(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title                 = 'LadysmithCronicle.com'
    __author__            = u''
    description           = u'LadysmithCronicle.com'
    oldest_article        = 7
    language              = 'en'
    publisher             = 'BlackPress'
    category              = u'news'

max_articles_per_feed = 100
    no_stylesheets        = True
    use_embedded_content  = False
    encoding              = 'utf8'
    extra_css             = 'body{ font-family: Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif }'
    preprocess_regexps    = [(re.compile(r'<!--.*?-->', re.DOTALL), lambda m: '')]
    remove_tags_before    = dict(id='mobileStory')
    remove_tags_after     = dict(id='mobileStory')
    remove_tags           = [
                              dict(name='div', attrs={'class':'footer'})
                             ,dict(name='strong', attrs={'style':'color: #003366;'})
                             ,dict(name='a', attrs={'class':'backLink'})
                            ]
    remove_javascript     = True
    remove_empty_feeds    = True

feeds = [
              (u'News', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/news/index.rss')
             ,(u'Sports', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/sports/index.rss')
             ,(u'Business', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/business/index.rss')
             ,(u'Entertainment', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/entertainment/index.rss')
             ,(u'Lifestyles', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/lifestyles/index.rss')
             ,(u'Community', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/community/index.rss')
             ,(u'Opinion', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/opinion/index.rss')
             ,(u'Letters', u'http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/ladysmithchronicle/opinion/letters/index.rss')
            ]

def print_version(self, url):
         return url+'?mobile=true'
ironcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
fyoung

I will give this a go
Thx
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
fyoung

So I copied and pasted this receipe and tried it. I got the same results as when I copied the RSS feeds and made a receipe. Both work well but I need to learn how to get rid of some of the useless information following each headline. There is some text following each headline such as Comments ............... and is the exact same following each article.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyoung View Post
So I copied and pasted this receipe and tried it. I got the same results as when I copied the RSS feeds and made a receipe. Both work well but I need to learn how to get rid of some of the useless information following each headline. There is some text following each headline such as Comments ............... and is the exact same following each article.
Your next step is to learn how to use remove_tags.

See here.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
ironcat
ironcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I tried again my version, but that removes the comments. Did you copy the remove_tags and last lines (def print_version ...) of recipe?
ironcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
fyoung

Ironcat
I copied your receipe again and tried it, it worked perfectly. Pictures and everything.
I must have done something wrong when I did it the first time.
Thanks for your help.