Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #46
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Does the Bluefire 'Adobe DRM' include updates for the B&N extensions? In other words will it read stuff bought at B&N?
It might just work. I've not tried it yet. If you tether a Nook to ADE, then transfer a book to ADE, then grab it from the My Digital Editions folder and use iTunes to put it on Blufire Reader, what *might* happen is that you are prompted to enter a user name and password. If so, I'm not sure yet what BN uses there. BN user/pass? email and CC#? If anyone tries this and either fails or succeeds, please post back. I've wanted to try it myself but it is a bit crazy around here at the moment...
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #47
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismesa View Post
>>Dang it! download protocal link was not actually implemented. was on the list, but did not happen. OK, we must push an update very soon. I'm off on that misssion..

Do you have an ETA for the update? We're anxious to provide direct access to protected ePub via BFR. Thanks!
Well, if you want to offer fulfill links in Mobile Safari for DRM content now, you can try the "bluefirereader://fulfill/<yoururl.acsm>" approach and it *might* work (depends on what acs4 operator you use and how they config their links)

We are pushing hard to get an update out in 1-2 weeks. Depends also on "review" time.
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #48
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
Consider me an average user. Lazy , don't care to have multiple apps. If I want tp buy a book for my iPad I will use kindle app or the built in reader. However you will distinguish yourself is the ability for me to download a book from my public library to read. Most use epub adobe digital editions thru overdrive. I've tried emailing to myself, using iTunes share function but I still get an access denied error. This is the holy Grail. Is it forthcoming and when?
While we tested against loan permissions (works), in order to support Library loans we need the loan token. Devices that tether to ADE can take advantage of its ability to transfer that token to the device. We are working on a way to make that work for BFR (might require assistance from Overdrive though). Can't promise a timeline, but I can say that we are working hard on it. As I know more, I will share.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #49
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Regarding OPDS feeds. We target the 1.0 spec, and have a few extensions that we use. I'll see if I can post a sample feed by tomorrow. Exposing a UI for a user to add a feed is easy, but we've found we need to bolster our fulfillment code as we've discovered some variations in how ACS4 opertators handle that. So we may need to wait until we push an update to expose the UI for adding feeds. For the moment, beyond side loading, fulfillment links in Safari for some ACS4 operator's DRM content and links direct to the epub files might be worth looking at.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #50
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Christopher- I've tried dragging the pub file into the App in iTunes via file sharing. I still get access denied
The file I tried was a file I had purchased. unfortunately I don't have access to a library that loans ebooks to try that.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #51
bibliovault
bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all!
> Download links for Safari Mobile into Bluefire Reader are:
> ACS4 Protected content:
"bluefirereader.com://fulfill/http://www.yourcoolsite/yourcoolfolder/yourcoolbook.acsm"

I'm having no luck as yet with this....just "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid." (ipod, iOS4.1, Bluefire installed and CS authorized.)

Tried URL encoding alternatives, tried pointing at a few acsm variants (never downloaded, downloaded to desktop but not launched, and already launched), plus confirmed our page could get Stanza to open epubs, and Skype to make calls...but I've had no luck yet getting a mobile Safari link to launch a protected acsm in Bluefire Reader.

If anyone has it working, please post! Thanks....
bibliovault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #52
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Don't get it.

Maybe I don't get it but without library books who cares about this app. It's just another,of many readers. Non library adobe epubs is just not that big a deal.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #53
ruffiain
ruffiain began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliovault View Post
"bluefirereader.com://fulfill/http://www.yourcoolsite/yourcoolfolder/yourcoolbook.acsm"

I'm having no luck as yet with this....just "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid." (ipod, iOS4.1, Bluefire installed and CS authorized.)

Tried URL encoding alternatives, tried pointing at a few acsm variants (never downloaded, downloaded to desktop but not launched, and already launched), plus confirmed our page could get Stanza to open epubs, and Skype to make calls...but I've had no luck yet getting a mobile Safari link to launch a protected acsm in Bluefire Reader.

See more recent post. You need to change:

bluefirereader.com://fulfill/

to:

bluefirereader://fulfill/

I have tested this and it works.
ruffiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #54
bibliovault
bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That was it! Totally works now! Rewriting our download page next--thank you Ruffiain! (If iOS, display a link to Bluefire in iTunes and then link straight to the protected acsm.)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #55
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliovault View Post

hmm, perhaps I miss typed or my browser auto-completed for me. it is not bluefirereader.com:// rather the protocol is "bluefirereader://fulfill/<url.acsm>
Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #56
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Maybe I don't get it but without library books who cares about this app. It's just another,of many readers. Non library adobe epubs is just not that big a deal.
I hear you that non-libary adobe epubs are not a big deal for you. Fair enough. But a lot of people have bought such books from Sony, or ebooks.com, or BooksOnBoard, or cyberbooks, or harlequin, etc, etc. and they could not read them on their iPhone or iPad. So for them, it comes in handy.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #57
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiain View Post

to:

Thanks Ruffian, and I'm so sorry about the error bibliovault. I've been running on way too little sleep. I so hate to hear that I wasted your time. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #58
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiain View Post

to:

BTW, if you manage to get a link to acsm file from the library and fulfill it in the app, you should be able to fulfill and read library book. (In fact if you fulfill one library book you should be able to read all your other not-yet-returned-or-expired books)
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #59
bibliovault

Finally, our ebookstore has a smooth download for iPeople, all because of Bluefire Reader.

Thank you very VERY much, Micah and whoever else built Bluefire!

If you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and Bluefire Reader, try requesting and downloading Chicago's October free ebook, using nothing but your iOS device the whole way, to see how much easier the direct link is.
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ebooks/free_ebook.html

Loving Little Egypt, by Thomas McMahon - it's a good read. File is scanned PDF (a bit big), and requires Adobe ID.

(Let me know if you hit any snags, please!)
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #60
wajordan
wajordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just wanted to say how much I love this iPad app. I purchase books regulatly from the eharlequin.com book store, and read them on my Sony Reader which after 2 years has finally stopped working. My Kindle, a recent purchase, I used for books purchased from Amazon.com. With over 300 books from Sony and Harlequin, I've been holding on on buying a Kindle but finally too the plunge two weeks ago.

Thanks to the app and the hard work of its creators, I now have access to all those books, some of which I am still to read. Thank you, thank you, for creating this app. For me it, perfect and any enhancement, I'd consider to be bonus. And all of us over in the Harlequin.com Community with iPads are excited about this app.

If there were any features I'd love to see added, it would be the following:

1. Ability to put books in collection.

2. Something to indicate read or unread.

3. And I just love book apps that look like a virtual bookshelf.

Wayne
wajordan is offline   Reply With Quote