Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Ghosting ?

I'm getting ghosting on the Kindle Fire's screen. I've just noticed it a few days ago after reading this thread

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%2...iscussionsNRPB

It fades away after a minute or two. One of my family members has one of the first batches of Fire's and it has no ghosting at all. The screen also is brighter.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never noticed that on mine either, and it is from the first batch. I would call CS.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I've never seen anything like that on mine. That's a shame. I'd call CS and see what they say.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very odd. LCD screens aren't subject to ghosting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Interesting, I was going to post something like this. Over the weekend I had my Fire on a static screen for maybe an hour while I did other things (I was trying to run down the battery). The screen was a common Android screen, dark background with some white grid lines and text. When I picked it up and started using it, on another dark-background screen I noticed a faint after-image matching what had been displayed, which seems to be what is being called ghosting here. It went away after a couple of hours and I never notice anything like it happening during normal use. So, no big deal for me.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's very odd. LCD screens aren't subject to ghosting.
All LCDs have ghosting. It's just most of the time it's never noticed.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
Interesting, I was going to post something like this. Over the weekend I had my Fire on a static screen for maybe an hour while I did other things (I was trying to run down the battery). The screen was a common Android screen, dark background with some white grid lines and text. When I picked it up and started using it, on another dark-background screen I noticed a faint after-image matching what had been displayed, which seems to be what is being called ghosting here. It went away after a couple of hours and I never notice anything like it happening during normal use. So, no big deal for me.
Yeah it's no big deal for me also, but some people do have bad ghosting problems. The ghosting seems to show up more when the my kindle Fire is cold and hasn't been used in a few hours. But after it warms up it's fine.

BTW why did you want to run down the battery? That's the worst thing to do to a Lithium-ion battery. They don't need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better. Lithium-Ion don't have memory like the other rechargeable battery types and don't need to be fully drained to be recharged.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
No ghosting either here. I have never seen a LCD screen do that. I would get it replaced immediately.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No ghosting either here. I have never seen a LCD screen do that. I would get it replaced immediately.
It has a year warranty, I'll keep it and see how it goes.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
All LCDs have ghosting. It's just most of the time it's never noticed.
No they don't. Why should they? Physically, I mean. It's easy to see why eInk screens exhibit ghosting, but why, physically, should an LCD screen retain any trace of its previous image?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you read Amazon thread you will see that this is not normal and the unit is defective. Amazon got a bad batch going around it seems. Mine does not do what the pics shows.

I've never had any LCD monitor I've own ghost either.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doraa View Post
I have never seen anything like that on mine.
I only notice it when the kindle fire screen is very cold. Once it warmed up I don't see it.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post

BTW why did you want to run down the battery? That's the worst thing to do to a Lithium-ion battery.
I didn't mean that I wanted to run it all the way down, but I did want to run it down some so I could test charging it with the new battery pack I got.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
I didn't mean that I wanted to run it all the way down, but I did want to run it down some so I could test charging it with the new battery pack I got.
Oh ok, I havn't done that yet. I mostly keep the charger plugged in.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you read Amazon thread you will see that this is not normal and the unit is defective. Amazon got a bad batch going around it seems. Mine does not do what the pics shows.

I've never had any LCD monitor I've own ghost either.
People tend to overreact on the amazon boards. Do a search on ghosting on the Fire review and you'll only find 3 reviews about it.