Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Including the NEXT character in a backspace-delete is often a safe way of ensuring you've covered everything.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ok, got it. If you want to stay in book view and be assured that you're not inputting an   then this sequence works:

1. Highlight the rift between the two parts of the paragraph
2. I seem to be unable to not highlight the first character of the lower half
3. Press DEL then SPACEBAR then type the character you also highlighted to replace it.

Poof, a regular space instead of an   and you haven't had to go to code view!! The workflow is smooth.

Y'know, I'd swear that this is precisely what I did...I'll have to test this. I have to fix up some more material () on this book that was bollixed by the guy who originally did it, anyway.

One of the unintended consequences of Calibre: people charging thousands of dollars to run a damn PDF through it to produce an ePUB, and not knowing one bloody thing about why the results are a damn abortion. I'm so angry about this guy I can't talk rationally about it, and what's to be done?

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Including the NEXT character in a backspace-delete is often a safe way of ensuring you've covered everything.
Unless the next-to-next character is a space, if I understood the problem correctly.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the ePub doesn't actually use any   you could just work in BV, using the spacebar as normal and when done, just search/replace all the   to a space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
"Thousands of dollars to run a PDF through Calibre??!!??!!?? PT Barnum was right - "A sucker born every minute"....not to mention those willing to take advantage of them....sad
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
"Thousands of dollars to run a PDF through Calibre??!!??!!?? PT Barnum was right - "A sucker born every minute"....not to mention those willing to take advantage of them....sad
It's a dreadful story. This poor elderly man was taken advantage of by two scam artists, one allegedly an "editor" (who did nothing but transcribe his dictation, and then also charged him $850 for "helping" the layout person layout his book), and then the layout guy charged him $2500 for a layout in INDD plus two ebooks, and this book was DEAD SIMPLE. One paragraph of text after another, with some images in clumps. $850 for a wraparound cover design.

Total between the two? Nearly $6,000.00. SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS. My charge to fix his ePUB, and make a working mobi? $125, because I couldn't bring myself to charge him the time it would really take to fix it.

And, no, I'm not a sucker, but I know this guy, and this was a rotten thing for someone to do to him. Nicest guy on the planet. Was he a sucker? Maybe, but just because someone isn't sophisticated is no reason to rip them off.

H
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Amend line 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ok, got it. If you want to stay in book view and be assured that you're not inputting an   then this sequence works:

1. Highlight the rift between the two parts of the paragraph
2. I seem to be unable to not highlight the first character of the lower half
3. Press DEL then SPACEBAR then type the character you also highlighted to replace it.

Poof, a regular space instead of an   and you haven't had to go to code view!! The workflow is smooth.

Amend line 3 to this:

3. Press SPACEBAR then type the character you also highlighted to replace it.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
... and this was a rotten thing for someone to do to him. Nicest guy on the planet. Was he a sucker? Maybe, but just because someone isn't sophisticated is no reason to rip them off.

H
Yeah, that didn't sound right...I meant to be disparaging towards those who take advantage of others...PT Barnum being one of those who looked for "suckers".

$6000 !!! OMG!!

I hope he is able to recover that quickly!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yeah, that didn't sound right...I meant to be disparaging towards those who take advantage of others...PT Barnum being one of those who looked for "suckers".

$6000 !!! OMG!!

I hope he is able to recover that quickly!
Oh, LOL! Sorry!

My answer didn't come out right, either. I wasn't referring to your usage of the term...I just meant that I don't normally give away our services, but this poor guy; I just couldn't bear to charge him more. He gave me permission to post his ePUB anywhere, if it would save others from being ripped off by those two, but I can't stand to embarrass him further than he's already been embarrassed. I thought I might mention these two at Preditors and Editors and some of the other places, like AW Water Cooler, etc.

I imagine it will take him a very, very long time to recoup that.

Hitch