Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Jamestoo
Enthusiast
Jamestoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Screen Resolution

I am beginning a book using images and text from an existing Web site.

Given the predominance of wide displays that most use today, I have made the majority of my images on the site 600-700 pixels wide to get the clarity and size of the macro-images that I take. They work fine in the larger display, but probably not in the Kindle or other readers.

Can someone give me some guidance on these points:

If image size is a factor, what size should I shoot for?

For text, how many characters across, should I use?

What about font size? Any tips on a standard here?

Thanks!
Jamestoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestoo View Post
Can someone give me some guidance on these points:

If image size is a factor, what size should I shoot for?

For text, how many characters across, should I use?

What about font size? Any tips on a standard here?
You don't have to worry about any of these because the reader will resize and reflow all of these to fit the screen. The user can and will often change the font size. You should never use a fixed font size but use relative measures if you need a certain section of text to be a different size than the rest.

The only thing you might run into an issue with is the images (some readers have poor resize support). In this case the image size you want to use is really going to depend on the reader you're targeting and the image itself. The Kindle has a screen resolution of 600 x 800.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Jamestoo
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help. You've clarified several points for me.

A followup question, please: I've been using Front Page 2003 and haven't gained an understanding of CSS that I can see I'll need.

Can a style sheet be used to set as the default font to this relative measure for every page/chapter, or do I need to insert the code for each page?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestoo View Post
Thanks for your help. You've clarified several points for me.

A followup question, please: I've been using Front Page 2003 and haven't gained an understanding of CSS that I can see I'll need.

Can a style sheet be used to set as the default font to this relative measure for every page/chapter, or do I need to insert the code for each page?

Thanks!
If you set a font to the <body class="mystyle"> or simply <body> (if all pages will use the same)

the css can support either of the ways:

body {
display: block;
font-family: Calibri;
font-size: 1em;
line-height: normal;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 2pt;
margin-right: 16pt;
margin-top: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: justify;
}

.mystyle {
display: block;
font-family: Calibri;
font-size: 1em;
line-height: normal;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 2pt;
margin-right: 16pt;
margin-top: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
page-break-before: always;
text-align: justify;
}

I prefer to assign the overall style in the <body> (either way)
and only code style EXCEPTIONS

<p>A regular paragraph</p>
<p class="narrative">And it came to pass... </p>

The normal <p> inherits the <body>
and 'narrative' can have its own style or just modify the body style

ex.
.narrative {font-style: italic}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You don't have to worry about any of these because the reader will resize and reflow all of these to fit the screen. The user can and will often change the font size. You should never use a fixed font size but use relative measures if you need a certain section of text to be a different size than the rest.

The only thing you might run into an issue with is the images (some readers have poor resize support). In this case the image size you want to use is really going to depend on the reader you're targeting and the image itself. The Kindle has a screen resolution of 600 x 800.
Of course the Kindle doesn't support ePub anyway, but if you plan on converting to Kindle format (Mobi) be aware that it is fussy and may throw a blank page if the image it too big. And a full page is too big since there has to be room for progress bars and margins, etc. on the Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Jamestoo
Enthusiast

Thanks to all for your informative feedback. Bit by bit, I'm slowly learning about the mechanics of ePub.