Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #46
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Of course, you can do that with the Kindle as well.
Not with epubs you can't. You have to convert to the Kindle format first which is an extra step, meaning an extra chance to introduce problems.

But regardless, if your primary interest is in public domain and library books then there's no point getting a Kindle since its only advantage is buying books from Amazon.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
But regardless, if your primary interest is in public domain and library books then there's no point getting a Kindle since its only advantage is buying books from Amazon.
A rather sweeping generalisation . The main reason I like the Kindle is because it has a physical keyboard. I make extensive annotations in my eBooks as I'm proof-reading them, and find the Kindle's keyboard to be a lot better for this than a touch screen. I'm not even sure if the Kobo can annotate books? Can it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
I wonder if the Kindle is plagued with the number of problems being experienced by KT owners.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #49
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I wonder if the Kindle is plagued with the number of problems being experienced by KT owners.
Spend some time in the Kindle section of the forum and you'll see just what you see here. People wanting tweaks to what they have as well as those hoping for new features in the next model (sd crd, ability to sideload fonts, better way to arrange collections). I haven't looked through all the forums but I suspect every model has someone people would like changed...
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #50
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A rather sweeping generalisation . The main reason I like the Kindle is because it has a physical keyboard. I make extensive annotations in my eBooks as I'm proof-reading them, and find the Kindle's keyboard to be a lot better for this than a touch screen. I'm not even sure if the Kobo can annotate books? Can it?
Fair point.
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #51
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I wouldn't say the Kobo Touch is "plagued" with problems.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #52
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
No, the Kobo can't annotate. My husband has a Kindle, so I've had the opportunity to compare the two ereaders. Kindle is way better, no question. Of course they've had years that Kobo hasn't to perfect their product. That said, Kindle's much faster, has a sharper screen, and as of the latest edition, the ability to surf the Internet and play MP3 files. It's great. Kindle's biggest failing is it still doesn't support epub (what are they waiting for?) The big price differential used to be a reason to buy a Kobo instead of a Kindle. That's gone now that Kindle's drastically cheaper. Still, I'm grateful to the Kobo people for forcing Kindle, Nook et all to lower their prices. Hail Kobo!
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #53
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention Kindle's text-to-speech. It needs work--among other things, the pauses disappear when there's dialogue in the text, making the reading hard to follow. It's still way cool.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #54
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
My husband has a Kindle, so I've had the opportunity to compare the two ereaders.
To be clear, it sounds like you're comparing a Kindle 3 to a Kobo 1.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #55
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Kindle is way better, no question.
It depends on what you want out of an e-reader. For my money, the Kobo Touch is "way better, no question".

Quote:
Kindle's much faster
I'll have to take your word for it, but in-store demos of the Kindle 3 that I've played with do not seem to operate appreciably faster than the Kobo Touch.

Quote:
has a sharper screen
The Kobo Touch and Kindle 3 use the exact same screen (as does the Nook Touch and whatever Sony's latest e-reader is).

Quote:
the ability to surf the Internet
The Kobo Touch also has a capable web browser.

Quote:
and play MP3 files.
Well, you got me there, but that's what I have an MP3 player for.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #56
historyb
historyb began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Wireless
I have to say I just got my Kobo wireless and I love it.
historyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #57
exNookie
exNookie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch
Ditto. Now I know really know why I dislike reading on LCD, AMOLED, etc. screens so much. E-ink is easy on the eyes and the Kobo Touch is a great, simple device. It does exactly what it is intended to do.

It would be nice if someone could manufacture a smart phone with a screen that can switch between LCD/AMOLED and true e-ink - all on the same screen. Then we'd get the best of both worlds (for a phone anyway).

I look forward to the next firmware update
exNookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #58
Vivian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
To be clear, it sounds like you're comparing a Kindle 3 to a Kobo 1.
Good point. Yes, I am doing that. I suppose that's not fair. But my friend has the WiFi Kobo and while it is faster than mine, it's still slower than Kindle. My husband and I tried the Kobo Touch in the store; I thought it was a little faster than the others and he thought it was the same. One thing about the Kobo Touch I don't like is that it's smaller than the other Kobos, with the same size screen. That is, instead of taking advantage of the lack of controls to put in a bigger screen, they used the same size of screen and made the whole device smaller. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

I loved my Kobo when I first got it, honest. But that was at least two firmware upgrades ago, when it used to be a lot faster. The last upgrade kind of crippled it, performance-wise. If anyone can help me with that, please go here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146582
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #59
Vivian
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
The Kobo Touch and Kindle 3 use the exact same screen (as does the Nook Touch and whatever Sony's latest e-reader is).
Well, maybe it's a software thing then. There's no question that the Kindle screen is sharper.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #60
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Well, maybe it's a software thing then. There's no question that the Kindle screen is sharper.
No, the screen "sharpness" is exactly the same.

You're probably seeing that the Kindle uses a heavier, darker font by default. You'll notice that text on the Kobo appears sharper if you select a similar font.

Kobo Touch (and Nook Simple Touch) do a full screen refresh only every 6 pages by default, rather than every page like the Kindle. In between refreshes the pixels get a little fuzzier because a background effect builds up on the eInk screen (erased pixels don't quite go back to full white, black pixels previously erased don't quite go full black). You can change the KT to do a full refresh every page if it's enough to bother you.

Last edited by FJames; 08-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote