Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #46
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
I had no problems opening opening non DRM files from Mobipocket on Android. Just copied the files into the “kindle” directory on my sd card.
Martin
Which Android version are you running?
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #47
DJones
DJones began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
On first blush at least it doesn't appear you can load your own mobi files though. I tried putting a .mobi file into the kindle folder where downloaded books go and it crashes on startup (also tried renaming the file to .prc just in case).
I've just been trying different formats, using a gutenburg file converted to .mobi using Calibre causes the kindle app to crash, the same file converted using mobipocket converter to a .prc file works without problem.

As you've done, I tried renaming the file as .prc and also tried html and txt files, none of them had any success.

I couldn't get any .mobi files to work with the app on Android 1.6.

I think I'll stick with FBreader for most of my reading on Android.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #48
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Which Android version are you running?
Nexus One with Android 2.2 “Froyo” - In the long run it pays to buy a non subsidised phone.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #49
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
I couldn't get any .mobi files to work with the app on Android 1.6.
Ups. Maybe we should look at the manifest then. There are three version numbers: Minimum required, maximum allowed (often 99999) and the version the system was compiled and tested with. The later might be enlightening.

Martin
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #50
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Nexus One with Android 2.2 “Froyo” - In the long run it pays to buy a non subsidised phone.
Martin
Nice phone, I've got one guy at work with a Nexus One but he hasn't got the OTA 2.2 update yet. Very nice feature to be able to install apps on the SD card. Don't think HTC Hero will get 2.2 in a long time since it just got 2.1.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #51
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Very nice feature to be able to install apps on the SD card.
More importantly: the backup API is finally there. Took google ages to get it done. And yet it is absolutely essential.

Sadly both need the application developer to do some extra coding so it will take some time until applications move to the sdcard and backup works without rooting the phone first.

Martin
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #52
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
I've got an HTC Desire (Android 2.1). While the app is in main memory, stored books are on the SD card.
It crashes when synching with Amazon. Turn off the mobile data connection and WiFi, and it will open non-DRM books. Once open, turning on the data connection doesn't seem to cause problems.
Can someone else confirm this?
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #53
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I had no problems opening opening non DRM files from Mobipocket on Android. Just copied the files into the “kindle” directory on my sd card.
Interesting. I placed a few such books there, and the Kindle app consistently crashed immediately upon startup until I removed them. Behind the force-close message I could see the books I had added on the library screen.

Not running Froyo yet (2.1 on a Droid).

Glad to hear you had success; gives me hope.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #54
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
I've got an HTC Desire (Android 2.1). While the app is in main memory, stored books are on the SD card.
It crashes when synching with Amazon. Turn off the mobile data connection and WiFi, and it will open non-DRM books. Once open, turning on the data connection doesn't seem to cause problems.
Can someone else confirm this?
Yes. Just tried this; it is definitely the sync on startup that causes the crash -- with my radios off (in "airplane mode"), added Mobi files are fine (though they show up without their cover images) -- even after turning the data pipes back on. The sync function works fine as well after taking those steps -- until the Kindle app is removed from memory and restarted. I force-stopped the app manually, and then got the crash again on the startup sync.

Last edited by bwaldron; 06-30-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #55
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
is there some rule that says they arent allowed to have a download link on their own page if the app is in the market?

Kobo doesnt have their android app for download from the kobo site either. Id like to try these apps on the eken/haleron mids I have but cant because i cant use the market

i emailed kobo about it and they said basically "you're correct, its not."
Hmm.. let me look into this. send me your email at shasan at kobobooks dot com and I'll try and get you the apk unless there's some wierd reason I can't.

(I have a rooted N1 running 2.2 myself, I was downloading apks of the Kobo app while it was still unreleased).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just got an email from Amazon on this today. Cool Beans!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #57
Mogrith
Mogrith began at the beginning.

Device: K1,K2, Broken 505,M003(android 1.6)
Unhappy

Quote:

Martin
Doesn't work for me. App crashes as soon as the 3rd party title tries to display. (Cover issue?)

Amazon reply about this was:
Quote:
I’m sorry, but you’ll not be able to download prc mobi files using your Kindle for Android application.…

Last edited by Mogrith; 07-11-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Add Amazon quote
Mogrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #58
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First, I'd like to thank Amazon for the Android Kindle Ap, I have downloaded it to my Moto Droid (Android 2.2) phone, plus a number of books, works well. I had started a thread over on an Amazon forum asking for it, nice to see that they made it happen, doubtless not because of my request, but since Android is used by Nook and soon other Kindle competitors, nice to see that Amazon did not hold a grudge and skip that platform. I do think Amazon "gets it" in terms of needing their eBooks to be read on multiple platforms. I actually finished off a book the other day using my Moto Droid, amazing how much time you can find to read when the eReader (i.e. Android phone) is just sitting there in your pocket, unexpected delays, or waiting for an appointment, or someone's late, etc. What I have to remember to do is turn on the wireless more for my Kindle, so the bookmarks sync more (when it was just with my PC, I used it less, and different books mostly (technical ones on the PC, fiction on the Kindle)). When you figure to read a few "pages" on the phone, it helps a lot to know where you were.

Amazon, as a company, I think mostly has gotten the eBook/eReader market "right", not surprising for what was initially a web-based book seller. I want to be able to read my eBooks wherever I am, across multiple computers, phones, tablets, etc. Don't get me wrong, I hate the DRM and the BS about turning off audio reading for some of the books, and I feel very sorry about the non-U.S. buyers getting screwed with, but I attribute much of that to the publishers and their Luddite attempts at control. Maybe Amazon too doesn't mind the DRM preventing books being swapped around for free, but I just don't see books as being the hack target that audio is. Ultimately DRM and the other distribution controls are only going to go away when the publishers allow it, or when legislation and/or the courts mandate it's absence. Some might scoff at the latter happening, but it was basically the combination of legislation+courts that allowed printed matter to be the way it is today, i.e. with libraries, and you able to donate or resell a book you no longer need, the publishers obviously fought that, or would if they could. And I cannot totally blame them, they're trying to make money, kind of the American way when you come down to it, but still, a society is conventions and general agreement to social practices of what's allowed and not allowed, there needs to be a balance.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #59
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
Amazon, as a company, I think mostly has gotten the eBook/eReader market "right", not surprising for what was initially a web-based book seller.
I take it you have never been a Mobipocket customer and you do not know what Amanzon did to Mobipocket after Amazon bought Mobipocket.

Well inform yourself:

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15520

You see Amazon has a 2nd eBook store hidden away in Europe and there things are not going well at all!

Unless Amazon finally merges Mobipocket and Kindle I will never forgive them and I will never buy anything from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
kind of the American way when you come down to it
It would be ok if the Americans would keep they way of live to themselves. And in the current case that would mean: Not buying companies in other countries and then ruining them.

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 07-12-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #60
bwaldron
Wizard

Just updated to the 1.0.1 version of the app, and in limited testing I have been able to open my own non-DRM'd mobi files without encountering the force close issues experienced with the initial release.

Last edited by bwaldron; 07-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.