Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Found on engadget by m42, here is a sexy eBook reader with a nice touch screen.

Quote:
It's likely that the Kindle's popularity is going to spawn a whole slew of e-books vying for the eyes of readers. A concept from a student named Nedzad Mujcinovic at Monash University could very well stoke the fires of competition if his Livre ever makes it to store shelves. The system uses an e-ink screen overlaid with a touch surface, thus forgoing the multitudinous buttons of the Kindle for an ultra-simple, gesture-based input scheme. Pages can be turned by sliding your finger from corner to corner, though double- and triple-finger gestures will advance the book by ten and 50 pages, respectively. Most notable for real book fans is the inclusion of a leather stitched cover, meant to evoke the look and feel of the device's analog counterpart. Amazon's designers would be wise to, uh... take a page from Nedzad's book for the Kindle 2.
More photos and information can be found here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I want one. It looks amazing. But why did he design it so thick?

Last edited by Dave Berk; 02-27-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is to simulate the feel of a real pBook.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
Sexy! Even though I would prefer it being slightly less thick. More like a ~150p paperback, or a Cybook within it's cover. Better start saving money

Last edited by arit; 02-27-2008 at 11:46 AM.
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Meh. Way too thick, and heavy-looking.

Also, I don't want a touchscreen, if I have to touch the screen every time I flip a page, it will be filthy in no time, and scratched up and damaged soon after that.

Give me a D-Pad and a couple of function buttons any day.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is just a concept, after all. Anyway, the point is well-taken that more of these could stimulate a real improvement in e-book hardware, and it's something I look forward to. If you want me to cough up $300-400 for a reader, it damn well better look and work great!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm more concerned that it has a leather flap instead of a cover, so the first thing you have to add to it is something to protect the screen when it's not in use. And good luck pushiing that into any gap... the leather will just bunch up along the spine.

I assume it's so thick to contain a big battery so that the cellphone runs for longer.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm not sure I like the touch screen concept because well I eat lunch while reading and I like using just one finger to hit the button to go forward. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to turn pages without getting the screen dirty. (I think it would be cool if you had both options.)
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
The idea of ebook readers is to make books more portable. But here comes a device that looks quite a bit thicker than any reader to date. This does not look like something I could comfortable lug around with me where ever I went. Also, the touch screen probably drains the battery at a faster pace. Even if the thickness is to hold more battery power to compete with other readers, it's still not something I find appealing. I agree with everyone concerned about getting the screen dirty. I think that's one of the big downfalls of the iPhone, as well. I hate smudged up screens. Also, if there's any kind of search function, I prefer a tactile qwerty over pushing "buttons" on a screen. I do see one advantage: if the reader has a dictionary, you can go straight to the word you want to look up and just touch it. That would be nice (if it's a feature that's implemented). The Livre looks like a neat reader, but I don't think it's my cup of tea.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
The idea of ebook readers is to make books more portable. But here comes a device that looks quite a bit thicker than any reader to date. This does not look like something I could comfortable lug around with me where ever I went.
Bear in mind that it's a proof-of-concept prototype by a design student. If anyone chose to actually make this in quantity, I suspect the finished device would be thinner and lighter.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think it's just proof that it can be done. And now that it can be done, if it was done as an actual for sale device, it would be more ergonomically designed.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
It's a design student - in theory this is all about the form of the books, the size, how it looks and so on. If you're lucky there will also be some user interface design, where the designer runs through a few sample screens to show you what the user is supposed to see and do. IME half of them think flash is an appropriate tool for that task, instead of using a page layout tool (Pagemaker or even WordPad).

Actually making it go is the work of engineers. Given the size of this, it almost looks as though the kid stuffed an iLiad inside it and said "yeah, and a multitouch screen".
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ SpiderMatt: Your hyperlink dictionary notion sounds magnificent! Let us get some smart-type people to do that.

Personally, the idea of a finger swipe seems neat. Such an interface more closely replicates an actual book--great for those who might shy away from the jarring non-book experience of current Readers. It seems more....'organic' of a motion that pressing a button.

As for smudgy screens, would imagine that someone could easily enlarge the cling-wrap protector vinyl that accompanies smart-phones. With that on my treo, I can clean it with a Clorox Wipe. Otherwise, what do you people *do* with things to make you so nervous?
;-
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
An other prototype...thick but not bad.

Sigh! There is so much to do, so long an evolution to go through before we get some sort of stable reading device format. In my view, if we compare the actual ebook to the music world, we're still dealing with four track cassette walkmans... Sigh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Gladtobemom
Connoisseur
Gladtobemom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Palm Z72
And remember to make it idiot proof!

If we could have a decent sized touch screen, touch to choose book/link/turn page, and make it idiot proof.

Just put the books on the SD card and go--all formats (html, pdf, mobi, lit, rtf/doc, etc.)

Read all formats, sort on Author, title, genre, subject, path, filename etc.

And it has to be idiot proof.
Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote