Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
skiffler
skiffler began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
PRS-650 replacement battery

I've just bought a faulty PRS-650 off eBay. After playing with it for a while, and analysing what it does and when, it's quite clear that what it requires is a new battery. The question is: 'where do I get one from?' It seems to be possible to obtain third party batteries for other Sony eReaders but, to date, I haven't found one for the PRS-650. Does anyone know where to obtain one other than from Sony who, no doubt, will require a great deal of money? It's 3.7V 940mA. Does anything else fit?

The current (sic) status of the 650 is that the battery 'charges' via the USB cable: I get all the correct messages during charging and a charging completed message. However when it's unplugged, it immediately says that the battery is empty and then switches off. The text is nice and clear during charging and, in the short time that it did work before the present situation, it all worked correctly. I even updated the firmware to the latest version.

Whilst trying to obtain a replacement battery I should, in theory, be able to use it with a mains charger; something that is not possible when charging via USB.

Is there a non-Sony mains charger - available in the UK - that everyone agrees is a good buy?
skiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffler View Post
Is there a non-Sony mains charger - available in the UK - that everyone agrees is a good buy?
It has the same charging requirements (and socket) as the Playstation Portable. Go to any high-street game shop and buy a PSP charger; it'll work fine with the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has the same charging requirements (and socket) as the Playstation Portable. Go to any high-street game shop and buy a PSP charger; it'll work fine with the Reader.
Don't the newer PRS-X50 models charge via USB socket and not the yellow barrel socket of the PSP?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Darn, you're right. I'd never actually looked closely enough at my 350 to spot that the old circular power socket had gone . Just ignore my previous post, in that case.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
This is something I wondered about ie getting & changing the 650 (and 350 I suppose). I believe there is something on youtube about it.
And I don't know if Sony will actually sell a battery, they aren't usually that helpful !

I t also made me think...........
You should only charge up when nearly out, to prolong battery life.

So what happens when you plug in to d/load books ? It always starts charging.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
This is something I wondered about ie getting & changing the 650 (and 350 I suppose). I believe there is something on youtube about it.
And I don't know if Sony will actually sell a battery, they aren't usually that helpful !
The battery isn't user replaceable; you have to send it back to Sony to have it replaced.

Quote:
I t also made me think...........
You should only charge up when nearly out, to prolong battery life.
Not so. Lithium Ion batteries such as the Sony uses don't mind being "topped up". No need to fully discharge, as there was with some older battery technologies.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
I'd say check with Sony re: warranty. It's not been out for a year and warranty generally follows the product in the UK.

Failing that, method of payment paypal, visa etc might offer extra warranty protection for a short while.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
skiffler
skiffler began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
So what happens when you plug in to d/load books ? It always starts charging.
Yes, it shows all the right messages when the USB lead is plugged in, and I can download books.

Actually, since my OP, the battery is, once again, holding its charge for a time, but the display is faded in some places and with lines in others. It did, however, work perfectly for a time when I first got it a few days ago. Nice clean display etc. I downloaded books to it and read them with no problems. When it started going faulty, the display did what it is doing at the moment and, initially, I thought that because the display had been perfect, there was a dodgy connection and I was getting ready to dismantle it to investigate (I've downloaded the service manual). However, the more I read on this forum about the display, the more I realised it depended on the state of the battery, and when the battery went from charged to empty in a few moments, I figured that the whole problem is caused by the battery.

Current status: Charging complete message but a dodgy display. I have a strong feeling that if it was plugged into a mains charger it would work faultlessly, and I would know with absolute certainty that the battery was at fault.
skiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffler View Post
Current status: Charging complete message but a dodgy display. I have a strong feeling that if it was plugged into a mains charger it would work faultlessly, and I would know with absolute certainty that the battery was at fault.
Check this out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAINS-CHARGE...7810397&sr=8-9
Might solve your problem.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure about UK, but most cellular phone chargers in the USA that have a microUSB tip will work. I charge my 350 with my BlackBerry's charger all the time. By using a microUSB Sony actually went with an industry standard charger.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
With the right wall charger you can read a book while charging and this will tell you with certitude if the battery is truly defective.

There also an entire thread in this Sony section that will tell you all you could ever want to know about which wal-wart will work with the x50 readers.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest calling Sony. It would still be under warranty. And thus, might not cost much if anything to get it fixed/replaced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Hi Harry -

"The battery isn't user replaceable; you have to send it back to Sony to have it replaced."

But my whole gripe is - apart from the obvious aim of ripping us off - especially outside warranty, why shouldn't you be able to DIY ?
Is the thing designed to be destroyed if you don't wear a Sony overall ?

From all accounts, the cost of replacing a battery is ridiculous, when I'm sure a decent blow by blow account, with pics/diagrams, would be feasible.

I'm sure someone did just that, possibly Youtube.

It smacks of cars who design components that can only be fitted with a very specialized tool that only a garage might afford.
And I know there's always someone who finds a way around that one !
( Here in the UK, Haynes make a lot of money doing just that with every car on the market. )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Harry -

"The battery isn't user replaceable; you have to send it back to Sony to have it replaced."

But my whole gripe is - apart from the obvious aim of ripping us off - especially outside warranty, why shouldn't you be able to DIY ?
You can do a DIY battery replacement, but Sony won't help you. Lots of info around on how to do it if you look. Kindle, Sony, iPod/iPad - none of these devices have batteries intended for user replacement and, to be fair, reports of battery failure are few and far between.

As has been said, though, given that the 650 was only launched in the autumn of 2010, it's still going to be under warranty and a faulty battery will be covered.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
I found the Sony PRS-650 Service Manual somewhere on the Internet and saved it. It shows how to change the battery - did not look too difficult. Problem is what battery to use? The manual quotes a Sony part number for the battery and I went to Sony's parts site and checked that out - not in stock but like US $55 for special order.

I figure when enough PRS-650's start experiencing battery failure some enterprising battery company will offer a replacement for a much more reasonable price and probably document the replacement procedure as well, as several companies have for the PRS-505.

BTW there is an elegant video on YouTube for replacing the battery in the PRS-505.

My PRS-650 has been working perfectly - but I do worry about battery failure, since replacement by Sony is around $100.

Cheers
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
650, battery