Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I love all the Game Of Thrones books. I am looking for another fantasy series to read along those lines. I detest all YA books with a passion. I also can not stand LOTR type books. I like blood and guts, evil characters and lots of plot twists. I also need interesting characters that can actually die. I do think GRMM can carry on way to much, but I will take that to get the blood, guts and plot twists that have me screaming.
Now were do I find that
applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
shahvikram123
shahvikram123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Wow thanks for all the suggestions everybody! Will defo be bookmarking this page for future reference!

@treadlightly I'm not sure if I will go back to the first 3 books. They're so long and it's a bit boring when you know what's going to happen next!

The breadth and depth of the ASOIF books is really staggering. and the character development. They all have shades of good and bad, apart from cersei lannister whose like a wicked witch! haha
shahvikram123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
shahvikram123

Just wish x-ray would work on the books 4 and 5. Anyway of getting it to work (I have a kindle paperwhite 2)? Or is it a feature the publisher needs to enable?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #19
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
@treadlightly I'm not sure if I will go back to the first 3 books. They're so long and it's a bit boring when you know what's going to happen next!

The breadth and depth of the ASOIF books is really staggering. and the character development. They all have shades of good and bad, apart from cersei lannister whose like a wicked witch! haha
The characters are definitely one of the strengths of this series. I find I am constantly changing who I'm rooting for, and yes, none of them are angels.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
Already mentioned but i would really recommend the Steven Erikson epic 'Malazan Book Of The Fallen' series. 10 books of full on awesomeness These are not books that you can speed-read through due to the nature of the entire story. Everything has it's place in the overall tale -even small references are important elsewhere-so it needs to be read at a leisurely pace.

You will not find a single Elf, Goblin, or Orc, but you will find plenty of battles, humour that could only come from comrades upto their eyeballs in bhedren dung but willing to instantly give their lives to their friends.

I'm on my second reading and it's on my 'wish i never read it before', just so i can discover it again

Regards
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Time passed and my ardor for these books waned. I'll just watch the GoT tv show since it will finish before the book series does. In fact, they've already made provisions for just that eventuality. Good luck avoiding the potential book-spoilers that will be sitting all around the internet like potted-plants when that happens.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
shahvikram123

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
The characters are definitely one of the strengths of this series. I find I am constantly changing who I'm rooting for, and yes, none of them are angels.
For me, it has to be daenerys targaryen, the mother of dragons!!! But having said that, I'm only rooting for her because of the actress that plays her in the TV shows So pretty! haha. It's a shame she doesn't feature in book 4…well not yet anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyuki View Post
Already mentioned but i would really recommend the Steven Erikson epic 'Malazan Book Of The Fallen' series. 10 books of full on awesomeness These are not books that you can speed-read through due to the nature of the entire story. Everything has it's place in the overall tale -even small references are important elsewhere-so it needs to be read at a leisurely pace.

You will not find a single Elf, Goblin, or Orc, but you will find plenty of battles, humour that could only come from comrades upto their eyeballs in bhedren dung but willing to instantly give their lives to their friends.

I'm on my second reading and it's on my 'wish i never read it before', just so i can discover it again

Regards
A lot of other people have also told me to check those books out. Will defo when I finish book 4 of ASOIF
Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #23
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I loved Game of Thrones 1-3, 4 was horrible, and 5 not a whole lot better. It remains to be seen if I'll read the others when they come out. I'll wait for reviews and the series to be finished, if it ever is.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
shahvikram123

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I loved Game of Thrones 1-3, 4 was horrible, and 5 not a whole lot better. It remains to be seen if I'll read the others when they come out. I'll wait for reviews and the series to be finished, if it ever is.
What didn't you enjoy about the fourth and fifth books. Im really enjoying the fourth book
Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am almost done with The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and can highly recommend it for a good fantasy, sword and sorcery story.

The Blade Itself
Before they are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings

EDIT: already mentioned but The Wheel of Time books are great too.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. You'll either love it or hate it, depends on what kind of Fantasy you like as it's a very broad category/genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I am almost done with The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and can highly recommend it for a good fantasy, sword and sorcery story.

The Blade Itself
Before they are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings

EDIT: already mentioned but The Wheel of Time books are great too.
This and this. Guy Gabriel Kay has some good books too.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #27
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle is some of the best new fantasy I've read in a long time. Love/hate relationship with Song of Ice and Fire because of the wait time between books.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
badeyes
badeyes began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Wow!!!! Thank you so very much treadlightly for the Listopia list. Many I've read but some I haven't (but certainly intend to).

You just brightened my day.
badeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by badeyes View Post
Wow!!!! Thank you so very much treadlightly for the Listopia list. Many I've read but some I haven't (but certainly intend to).

You just brightened my day.
You are welcome! I'm glad it was helpful. Please feel free to add your votes to the list!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #30
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahvikram123 View Post
I recently started reading the Game of Thrones books and I'm really loving it! I'm around 40% through book 4 at the moment. Anyone else reading these books? What are your thoughts on them?
Most of the main characters are between 8 and 16 years old. I think that was done to target the same age group audience.

A detailed description of the clothing of each person in a scene is apparently mandatory. I think that was done to interest girls.

The slightly altered spelling of common modern words and names is a distraction, to the point of becoming an irritant. "Master" is fine spelled as it is. I suspect the words were first written normally, and someone went back and did a global search and replace.

The first book had a glacial pace - after 500 pages, characters were still being introduced. Who expected that things would *slow down* in later volumes? Many entire chapters can be skipped with no loss to the plot.

In the end, the only thing I have is time. I require more return on investment.

My personal opinion is that there won't be an end, unless a TV ending is written.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote