Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #46
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
OK - took me approximately 3 minutes to find what you described above. Haven't downloaded them so can't actually verify that they are retail quality (whatever that means).

I will not give any links to their whereabouts for obvious reasons.
Took me 4 seconds to find them in pdb format, they were in the first place I looked. I wasn't going to download them until someone mentioned formatting. The one I got looks okay to me, not really to my tastes but certainly comparable with anything I've bought retail and it would be easy enough to fix if I wanted to read it. It said version 1.3 at the top, so presumably it's had at least some proof reading done on it (which is more than you can say for most retail ebooks).

I won't be giving any links to it either, but here is a picture.

mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #47
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I will say that I haven't managed to spot a UK edition of the Harry Potter ebooks. There are astonishingly good versions of the US editions out there though.
Is there much of a difference, other than weird spellings of colour and the like?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #48
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is not retail (or if it is, its been tampered with). Retail text is always justified and here you can clearly see the text is not. A typical example of a lower quality copy compared to the actual purchased copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Took me 4 seconds to find them in pdb format, they were in the first place I looked. I wasn't going to download them until someone mentioned formatting. The one I got looks okay to me, not really to my tastes but certainly comparable with anything I've bought retail and it would be easy enough to fix if I wanted to read it. It said version 1.3 at the top, so presumably it's had at least some proof reading done on it (which is more than you can say for most retail ebooks).

I won't be giving any links to it either, but here is a picture.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #49
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
How do you know you have a "top site?'
I suppose I don't know for sure. I was going buy a website that listed the number of ebooks available through each site listed. I chose the two highest. I can't say for sure the information was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am guessing that the two books you pirated were not available as legit e-books?
No, actually they are both available as legit ebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
...very touching your naiveness
I don't know what's with the rolling eyes. My post was honest. I suppose I could have dug deeper but I wanted to show what a non-techie such as myself would turn up in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3write1day View Post
Expect a visit from the FBI soon.
They are already monitoring me due to my DRM stipping activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
Sorry to tell you that, but your experiment was not very scientific.
It wasn't meant to be "scientific." I'm not a professional researcher (duh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Maybe not scientific, but it at least demonstrates that piracy isn't nearly the issue e-publishers want you to think it is. If an "average" user can't find e-books worth pirating, then all you have to worry about are the experienced people. (Who I'm guessing don't make up a large section of the e-reading community.)
Thank you Mr. Pockets. That's exactly the point I was trying to make.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #50
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I will say that I haven't managed to spot a UK edition of the Harry Potter ebooks. There are astonishingly good versions of the US editions out there though.
Just curious - what are the differences besides the obvious spellings of things like colour, etc? Oh, and I think I heard Titles are different?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #51
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This is not retail (or if it is, its been tampered with). Retail text is always justified and here you can clearly see the text is not. A typical example of a lower quality copy compared to the actual purchased copy.
Not all retail ebooks are justified.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #52
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well you are probably right. But this one is. I have the printed version and it is. So this cannot be the retail ebook version and if it is, then I'm very disappointed and my faith in ebooks is tarnished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #53
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
The version I have found is justified but I wonder how many ebook readers really care about that?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #54
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
You are so full of it. You obviously have never read on a Sony 505.

I have bought sf/f books from waterstones [or was it the other brit store? whichever one would sell regardless of geo-restrict until several months ago] and I gave up.
The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erickson. Your vaunted "retail" version had over 125 errors. I know, because I counted them, noted them and then wrote back to the store demanding better copies.
Then I went to the "devil" site and found lovingly crafted books, by fans, that were completely error free.

Saying it is "retail" means jack. You'd know that if you bought a wide variety of ebooks on a regular basis.

Quote:
Well you are probably right. But this one is. I have the printed version and it is. So this cannot be the retail ebook version and if it is, then I'm very disappointed and my faith in ebooks is tarnished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
As I said before, you obviously have NO experience with retail ebooks, NOT PAPER BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please do more buying so you know what you are talking about.

ps. after reading my post, I realized I came across as an angry old man. I'm not. Just annoyed that you are spouting such statements with no experience or knowledge to back them up.

Last edited by Ravensknight; 01-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #55
Quexos
Member Retired

I have indeed never read on a 505, I only have the 650 ...
and no need to be so crusty. I would never say you are full of it because, say you buy books on a regular basis and I don't. You can't hold that against someone.
As for the imperfect retails, that is another issue which is probably worse than poor quality pirated books. One would expect actual retails to be proof-read etc. Though from what I hear from some posts here, the latest releases are generally better. I can only hope it is so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
You are so full of it. You obviously have never read on a Sony 505.

I have bought sf/f books from waterstones [or was it the other brit store? whichever one would sell regardless of geo-restrict until several months ago] and I gave up.
The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erickson. Your vaunted "retail" version had over 125 errors. I know, because I counted them, noted them and then wrote back to the store demanding better copies.
Then I went to the "devil" site and found lovingly crafted books, by fans, that were completely error free.

Saying it is "retail" means jack. You'd know that if you bought a wide variety of ebooks on a regular basis.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #56
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
and no need to be so crusty. I would never say you are full of it because, say you buy books on a regular basis and I don't. You can't hold that against someone.
I will hold that against someone [you in this case] since you are making statements about things that you have no knowledge of or experience with.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #57
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
what I found out (searching for books I already own in paper) was that i was able to get epubized copies made of said books in qualities from acceptable (text clean, only some images, like maps, commonly found in fantasy books could need rejustification) up to superb. what spares me a lot of scanning

A point worth to think about is that i am referring to books of which in most cases (5 out of 6 series) no official epubs exist (yet)
the series in question are german translations of english with 1 exception where the whole series is in Polish (originally) and PDF.

in one of this cases I can even report the following:
  • as for now the original english series consists of n volumes
  • n-1 volumes have been translated to german so far.
  • the n-1th volume is available as an official epub, the previous volumes are not.
  • the darkned gave me access to handmade epubs (in german) from volume 1 to n-2, what means the officially available one seems NOT to have been pirated (so far).

in another case, where I know the whole series exist as official epubs the darknet copies are (due to covers used and the look of graphics used inside look rather like good scans than original sources) made of the paper editions.

The conclusions are:
  1. the 1st goal of the inspected places is to close the gap and create epubs where publishers still meditate over their bellies.
  2. People actually DO vote with their wallets and purchase paper instead of DRMed files and make their own not infested digital copies

for me it proves that it's availability in general as well as DRM what matters.
therefor, the longer publishers hesitate offering (preferably DRM-less) epubs the more people will help themselves.

there seems to be a lot of people like me out there thinking:
"If they 'd be willing to sell me clean digital copies I 'd happily sell my pbooks and reinvest the money in such ones.
Since they don't I keep the paper for legal reasons and help myself to a digital copy that I don't need to illegally uncripple"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #58
Quexos
Member Retired

How many ebooks does it require to have "knowledge" in this matter according to you ?
While you may have more than me, let me inform you that I actually have 45 ebooks in my reader. Thus making your statement that I have NO knowledge or experience, incorrect. See how easy one gets carried away when expressing ourselves ?
So again don't hold it against me, not if you are sensible. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I will hold that against someone [you in this case] since you are making statements about things that you have no knowledge of or experience with.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #59
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
How many ebooks does it require to have "knowledge" in this matter according to you ?
While you may have more than me, let me inform you that I actually have 45 ebooks in my reader. Thus making your statement that I have NO knowledge or experience, incorrect. See how easy one gets carried away when expressing ourselves ?
So again don't hold it against me, not if you are sensible. Thanks.
Well, 45 to 4000 could be considered NO knowledge. Think outside your box, small one.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #60
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Just curious - what are the differences [in the Harry Potter books] besides the obvious spellings of things like colour, etc? Oh, and I think I heard Titles are different?
Besides the changing of spelling, words and idioms were changed if they seemed too British, e.g. from British jumper to sweater, came top of the year to had the best grades of the first years, etc. The changes were done so that apparently American kids could appreciate the books without becoming boggled down in foreign words. An extensive list of changes can be found at the HP Lexicon.

Recently this has been in my mind a lot, as I've also been searching high and low for ebooks in British English, with no success. Partly my insistence on BE is due to my desire of matching ebook versions with their pbook copies, but also because the British English editions are the ones with which I grew up, and I appreciate their local flavour. (Damnit Bloomsbury, release a BE edition already, I want searchable, digital copies! )

Generally speaking, although a lot of ebooks to be found in torrents are of poor quality, there are easily 'retail quality' ebooks if one knows where to look. The torrent scene also has release groups that tend to pride themselves on uploading quality copies. Then less commonly there are ebook copies, usually of books in which no commercial ebooks are available, which are lovingly crafted by fans and quite frankly, look superb. The American English editions of Harry Potter available on various torrents are a good example.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote