Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Can I buy Kindle books from Amazon UK without having to pay UK VAT?

avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Additionally, I find it strange that some (UK issued) books with UK VAT are cheaper on Amazon UK's site than in the US.
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. Amazon UK only sell eBooks to people in the UK. If you are in the UK - or if you use a VPN which makes you appear to be in the UK - you will be charged VAT. However, it's not the UK VAT rate of 20% that you'll be charged, but the Luxembourg rate of 3%. That's the VAT rate that Amazon UK uses for ebooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Additionally, I find it strange that some (UK issued) books with UK VAT are cheaper on Amazon UK's site than in the US.
Perhaps a case of the book having different UK and US publishers. That's very common.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
No ebooks in the UK Kindle store have UK VAT (20%), instead they all have the Luxembourg reduced VAT rate (3%). It's hardly worth trying to avoid.

And since Amazon UK is only supposed to sell ebooks to the UK, I don't think that there is any way to avoid it.

This situation will change on 1st January 2015 when VAT will be charged at the rate of the location of the customer, not the supplier, for E-commerce services (which includes ebooks).

It's possible that the VAT rate will increase before that, as Luxembourg (& France) have been told to stop applying their reduced VAT rate to ebooks and other E-commerce services.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
avid01
Addict

Thank you. Let's say I want to buy a Kindle book from Amazon UK as it is. UK IP address is no problem. Any other hurdles or will I be able to purchase?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
None that I can think of. When the UK store was opened in 2010, many Brits retained their Amazon.com accounts because books as a rule were cheaper in the US. And I am pretty sure that Canadian readers are doing the same thing right now, given that sales are so dismal in the CA store.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Thank you. Let's say I want to buy a Kindle book from Amazon UK as it is. UK IP address is no problem. Any other hurdles or will I be able to purchase?
There have been various hurdles reported in the Amazon UK Kindle Forum from people in Spain and the Irish Republic.

Thus a postal address in the UK may be needed and even a plastic card with a UK billing addie (though a gift card may work) in order to buy UK Kindle books from Amazon UK or Com.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Hanners
Hanners began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
There have been various hurdles reported in the Amazon UK Kindle Forum from people in Spain and the Irish Republic.

Thus a postal address in the UK may be needed and even a plastic card with a UK billing addie (though a gift card may work) in order to buy UK Kindle books from Amazon UK or Com.
I'm not sure about the UK credit card - I'm currently in the UK on a short-term job and using my Hungarian CC with the address of my hotel here I could order the Kindle PW itself and am also able to buy e-books for it
Hanners is offline   Reply With Quote