Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
beautifulstars
beautifulstars began at the beginning.

Device: none
Broken Kindle - confusion regarding replacement

So, while I was living temporarily in the UK, I bought a Kindle 3, the cheaper option (wi-fi) which was advertised as working internationally, and connected to the internet, but unlike the 3G did not come with free internet service.

I have recently returned to Canada. I am devastated because I broke my Kindle. Yes, I know

So, I need to buy another one. Like, MUST. I am dying here and it's only been a couple of hours. However, it's a bit unclear to me which version on the US site is the one I need since I've heard terms like 'Wi-fi' versus 'International' bandied about.

My understanding is that if I buy the Kindle Wi-fi, I can use it anywhere in the world as long as I have a wireless network to use, correct? So that's on special offer for $114.

And the Kindle 3G + wireless, which advertises being able to be used in 100 + countries, can be used anywhere but has free wireless, is that correct?

I just want to make sure if I buy the Kindle wi-fi a) It has wireless that can be used with a network to log into and b) it works internationally.

Thanks folks!
beautifulstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I think you have everything fairly well correct except the $114 part. The ad-supported Kindle Wi-Fi is not being sold outside the US.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you contact customer service about the broken K3? They may replace it.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I agree. Call Kindle CS, they tend to be very lenient with their replacement policy.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I agree. Call Kindle CS, they tend to be very lenient with their replacement policy.
Exactly...I've seen a number of posts where owners dropped, drowned, smashed, car-killed Kindles and they were replaced under the regular warranty. No guarantee but I'm hopeful they would.
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Exactly...I've seen a number of posts where owners dropped, drowned, smashed, car-killed Kindles and they were replaced under the regular warranty. No guarantee but I'm hopeful they would.
They replaced mine when I dropped it from around 3 feet onto a hard wood floor and the case split. Amazon customer service is excellent.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I think, strictly speaking, you want to call Kindle Customer Service, rather than Amazon. (Some people have mentioned that Kindle CS is stellar while Amazon is less so...)

Here's the link:
Kindle Customer Service homepage
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulstars View Post
I just want to make sure if I buy the Kindle wi-fi a) It has wireless that can be used with a network to log into and b) it works internationally.
The Kindle 3G /also/ has wifi connectivity. The access to the mobile phone network almost anywhere in the world there's a GSM phone service is in addition to the ability to connect to wifi networks, not instead of it.

If you want to make sure you can buy books almost anywhere, even when you can't log in to a wifi network, the Kindle 3G is the one you want.

But do see if Kindle CS can help you first. If nothing else, they might have a good offer for you on a replacement kindle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
I think, strictly speaking, you want to call Kindle Customer Service, rather than Amazon. (Some people have mentioned that Kindle CS is stellar while Amazon is less so...)

Here's the link:
Kindle Customer Service homepage
Both have been quite nice to me in the times I've had to call ranting and raving.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Both have been quite nice to me in the times I've had to call ranting and raving.
That's good to hear!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #11
chamekke
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Kindle 3G /also/ has wifi connectivity. The access to the mobile phone network almost anywhere in the world there's a GSM phone service is in addition to the ability to connect to wifi networks, not instead of it.

If you want to make sure you can buy books almost anywhere, even when you can't log in to a wifi network, the Kindle 3G is the one you want.
Just wanted to chime in on the extra benefits of getting 3G. I ended up buying a second Kindle with 3G and it's been soooo much more flexible all round. Came in very handy during a recent visit to the UK when, more often than not, I was unable to get access to wifi. And no roaming charges!

Although, of course, if you can get your existing unit fixed free of charge, that's an even better outcome
Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post

I banged it on my head, broke the screen and they replaced it, no charge. Didn't even have to send the broken one back to Amazon.

Well, not exactly "no charge", I paid $25 for "special goods import tax" and I think that was acceptable.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote