Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #1486
lb14
lb14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
What are the settings you are using (they are listed in the Detailed Report after you run Create)?
Well I'm not sure now as I've since re-run the plug in and now have them sorted by column Authors. This has slightly improved things but there are still a lot of unsorted books by that one particular author (and a few others but they are mostly single books) that haven't been added to the collection and I'm not sure what else I need to select to include them.
Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining what I'm trying to do, I hope that makes sense to you.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #1487
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Two possibilities: slight differences in spelling make a different author. Also, unless you split on "&", multiple authors (each variation) is different from the author writing alone.
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #1488
lb14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesse View Post
Two possibilities: slight differences in spelling make a different author. Also, unless you split on "&", multiple authors (each variation) is different from the author writing alone.
I had thought to check the spelling and they are all the same. I've just checked and they aren't co-written, so I don't think that is the problem.

I'm probably missing something that would seem really obvious to more experienced users but I can't work out what.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #1489
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Run the plugin again. When it finishes click on Detailed Report in the pop up and post the Settings section from the text it shows.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #1490
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sirry I wasn't more help. Those were issues I found in my initial collection setup.
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #1491
OtakuGer
OtakuGer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Look further down in the details list (in particular View Report) for your specific News items, and see what it says about PDOC, etc. for the particular books/items.

This may be a case of some missing instructions on the first post. Been a long time since I did the news items - way back when it almost just handled tags. I think what is missing is that you have to tell the plugin to actually create the collection. Right now you are only telling it to create collections for Authors - so your news items end up in C since the author is calibre. You need to tell it to create collections for Tags as well - but probably put [PDOC] in the include field so only that tag is used. And if your personal docs are using [PDOC] and not News and you want the collection named News, then you probably need to rename the collection from [PDOC] to News (since you are only including just the one tag [PDOC] you can just put .* in the rename from field and News in the rename to field.
I solved it now. Until your note about the missing instructions I thought this [PDOC] marker will trigger the collection creation automatically. It doesn't

I think I have easiest way to sort news items to a News collection now.

Just got to customize Kindle Collections, then "create tags", put "News" into the "Include names matching these patterns" cell and you are done.
The "News" tags is automatically added by calibre to every news item. No need to add [PDOC] or News as an extra tag in your news feeds.
In case you use the Author Sort field to generate collections, it might be a good idea to add "calibre" to the "Ignore names" to prevent the news items from being added there.

Quote:
=== Settings:

Column: Author Sort
Action: Create
Prefix: _
Suffix: ""
Minimum: ""
Ignore: calibre
Include: ""
Rename from: ^(.).*$
Rename to: \1
Split on: ""

Column: Tags
Prefix: ""
Ignore: ""
Include: News
Rename from: ""
Rename to: ""
Split on: ""
Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 AM   #1492
lb14

Quote:
Run the plugin again. When it finishes click on Detailed Report in the pop up and post the Settings section from the text it shows.
Thanks. I ran it again. I still have lots of 'loose' books at the end of pages of collections and don't know why it is missing those. I guess there is something simple I'm missing but I don't know enough about configuring all the options to know which. Or maybe I'm expecting too much?

=== Settings:

Column: Authors
Prefix: ""
Ignore: ""
Include: ""
Rename from: ""
Rename to: ""
Split on: &

Never delete/modify these Kindle collections:
Action when toolbar icon is clicked: Show menu (default)
Preserve existing Kindle-only collections: False
Ignore prefix/suffix when comparing Calibre names: True
Ignore case when pattern matching: True
Reset collection times: True
Fast reboot using hacks: True
Fast reboot trigger file: H:\linkss\reboot
Calibre Personal doc tag: ""
Kindle collections file: H:\system\collections.json
Plugin customization file: C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Kin dle Collections.json
System Encoding: mbcs
Old 12-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #1493
lb14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesse View Post
Sirry I wasn't more help. Those were issues I found in my initial collection setup.
Oh I appreciate your reply, if only to reassure me that not everyone found it immediately simple to use!

I'm always willing to learn and accept any advise
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #1494
lessgravity
lessgravity began at the beginning.

Thanks for all the help in this thread. I have my kindle almost set up how I'd like it but I'm having a little bit of trouble.
I can get most of my series sorted into collections but for some reason a number of series will not move into the collection folder named after them, it just lists the books in the series as zero. Is there something I should be looking for in these series? I can't see any noticeable differences.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #1495
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Have you checked that the Series names are definitely identical for the books? In the Detailed Report does it list anything for the books?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #1496
lessgravity
lessgravity began at the beginning.

They seem to be listed as "Not in Calibre" and no collection listed. In calibre they show up as not being on the device, even though I have tried to move them over multiple times. I will do some more searching, but I don't know why it's just a few series. It seems like it won't "stick" when I try to sync certain books to my device.

I've only been using Calibre for a little while, and maybe I'm missing something obvious here...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #1497
shelle18
shelle18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I need help! My Kindle is currently sorting authors by last name, first name.
How do I:
1 - sort books by author first name, last name?
2 - sort the collections the same way.
3 - sort some collections by series (with different authors) and keep the rest by series with the same author (first name, last name)

I've read the manual, searched the forums but can't figure out how to do it. I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I just can't find it or figure it out. Thanks!!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1498
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
They seem to be listed as "Not in Calibre" and no collection listed. In calibre they show up as not being on the device, even though I have tried to move them over multiple times. I will do some more searching, but I don't know why it's just a few series. It seems like it won't "stick" when I try to sync certain books to my device.

I've only been using Calibre for a little while, and maybe I'm missing something obvious here...
This means that your Kindle has a slightly different version of the book. The solution is to Add the book from your Kindle to your Calibre, DELETE THE BOOK FROM YOUR KINDLE, edit the metadata as appropriate, and then Send the book back to your Kindle. Now, when you create the collections on the Kindle, it will include that book.

Meanwhile, you can remove the extra copy of the book from Calibre, since you'll now have two. Just make sure that you delete the correct version. (The one that now shows as NOT on the Kindle.)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #1499
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb14 View Post
Thanks. I ran it again. I still have lots of 'loose' books at the end of pages of collections and don't know why it is missing those. I guess there is something simple I'm missing but I don't know enough about configuring all the options to know which. Or maybe I'm expecting too much?
Just a possibility...
Using Calibre's Edit metadata button, compare the text in the Author(s) and Author sort boxes of a book which IS being properly collected with that of one that is NOT. Can you see any differences there. If so, change the culprit to match the one that collects correctly.

Regards...

Bernard
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #1500
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Been using this plugin for a while now on my K4nt and it works great. I just use it to set margins, justifiction, and fonts.

Cheers,
Tom
Closed Thread